You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Everyone :)

My real name is Sue, but I kinda like 'Mouse'.

I downloaded the trial version of Affinity Photo on the recommendation of a friend, and I like what I see, but....

I have a Wacom CTL-471 (similar to the old Bamboo), and there's a distinct delay of about a second between my pen making contact with the tablet and the software responding.  In other words I start to draw, but nothing happens for a second on screen, and then the line jumps from the start point to wherever I am at the end of that first second in a perfectly straight line, no matter that I'm actually drawing a curve at the time.

Are there some settings I need to alter to put this right, or is it a known bug?

I have Windows 10.

Thanking you in advance for any helpful advice :)

Hi Sue äh Mouse welcome,

I have a similar Wacom tablet flying around here (but with a slightly different model number) ...

• post-49706-0-91068000-1490465550_thumb.jpeg

... which is mostly connected to a Mac and works fine so far with AD here. - I recall that I also used it some time ago on a Windows computer (though there mostly with Xara Designer and PS) and it worked there fine too, without the behaviour you describe. - When using brushes etc, you might look into their settings, if the pressure setting is activated or not and if it possibly makes any difference in behaviour here for you.

How does it behave with other Win software, does it work correctly with other apps under your Win system? Further, do you have the latest Wacom Win10 drivers installed for your tablet model?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

It's been reported, it happens in a lot of windows machines: In the majority (practically all in Windows). Maybe some issue with the wacom's windows driver and AP. Intuos 4 XL, all configured super neat -I'm a tablets' geek- and that happens. It is a bug, IMO, and they will fix it when possible.

My real name is Sue, 

" How do you dooo !!? "

Sorry, could not resist to link here the great Johnny Cash   :o   :D  B)

https://youtu.be/_Gbtm-93oqE

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Aw thanks, both of you :D

v-kyr

I use it no problem with GIMP on the same machine (I'm just not all that keen on GIMP), and with CorelDraw 11 (my massively out of date software), Corel Photopaint 11, Krita... lots of apps I can't even remember trying but probably have.  The only weirdness I've had before this is with GIMP.  I have to make sure the tablet is plugged in before I open GIMP, or I get a similar problem (but the delay is only half as long).  It doesn't make any difference, though, if I try the same trick with AP.

I also only recently purchased and installed this tablet, so I would hope that I have the most up to date drivers, but wouldn't know for sure.

Sr-Px

hi - I'm doing fine thanks, and I like Johnny Cash :D

I thought it might be a bug, but I didn't want to start squeaking on about it too much if it was just me being too much of an idiot to find a setting and tick a few boxes ;)

Will we be told when its fixed?

If it works flawlessly with other Win software then it's obviously an AP Win problem here. You have to see, if there is/comes an Win AP update (they are usually announced here in the forum) which then hopefully fixes this problem!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Nope, no idea.

And as it is a small team and very large projects, is hard to know when that would come. Anyway is the first serious alternative (to PS).. So whatever the wait, it will worth it.

1.6 perhaps -or perhaps not- is near. Even if comes soon, it might not bring this fix and other brush system fixes.  In general, development depends on many factors, also, each company focus on a target audience and/or type of professional, mostly.  I have not a strong clue of what is the focus, but probably photography is a possible guess, for multiple reasons. Also, is "Photo", is not like Krita, who got born to be a painting program, or Manga Studio which got created to draw manga... Is understandable that they have more focus photography (competes directly with Adobe photography plan...). But imo, people using PS or similar applications for painting...we are legions... So, yep, I believe it is going to get fixed. Just at some point, with other brush engine problems. And that day I will celebrate, somehow...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Your Gimp issue is not due to your tablet or driver. I know what are you talking about, Gimp's wintab driver has always had a number of issues.

Thank you both again for all the information and advice :)

I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised that my tablet worked so well with my 20 yr old Corel software, but the thing is that Win 10 keeps having arguments with my old Corel suite about just exactly where it can keep its working memory and it crashes without any warning way too often to be of much use to me nowadays.  If I had known Win 10 was going to be such a nannying cowbag I'd have stuck with Win 8, which had no problems at all with my Corel suit!  If you don't already have Win 10 I would strongly recommend not getting it.  Even if it works ok for you, there's always Cortana to get right up your nose (she's the new paperclip assistant, but you can't switch her off! grrr)

I guess you could say I'm actually thinking of turning Mac ;)

But for now I'm stuck with my Win 10 machine, so I will wait with baited breath for the update that makes this possible, because from what I've seen AP is a really hot piece of software :)

I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised that my tablet worked so well with my 20 yr old Corel software, but the thing is that Win 10 keeps having arguments with my old Corel suite about just exactly where it can keep its working memory and it crashes without any warning way too often to be of much use to me nowadays.  If I had known Win 10 was going to be such a nannying cowbag I'd have stuck with Win 8, which had no problems at all with my Corel suit!  If you don't already have Win 10 I would strongly recommend not getting it.  Even if it works ok for you, there's always Cortana to get right up your nose (she's the new paperclip assistant, but you can't switch her off! grrr)

When in trouble with older software installs on Win 10 (like your mentioned Corel software) you can also try out the Win 10 compatibility mode, if you don't already did so!

When in trouble with older software installs on Win 10 (like your mentioned Corel software) you can also try out the Win 10 compatibility mode, if you don't already did so!

^^ This. It has changed over time, but is an old trick in Windowses. I can run even old DOS software with certain other tricks.

Oh and... SrPx - this is my favourite :D

Any Johnny Cash song sounds good to me, lol.. My favs are A boy Named Sue, San Quentin and I walk the line.   ;)

Thank you both again for all the information and advice  :)

I guess you could say I'm actually thinking of turning Mac ;)

But for now I'm stuck with my Win 10 machine, so I will wait with baited breath for the update that makes this possible, because from what I've seen AP is a really hot piece of software :)

Cortana : Easy peasy to fully disable   :)  You just gotta fiddle a bit in the privacy options. I install a bunch of Win 10 for friends and family (spreading evil, mwahaha), and I always know my first 30 minutes or even an hour is to go touching every freaking default setting. If done well, Win 10 is absolutely functional and non invasive. There's a lot of bad press spit out there about it which imo doesn't do it justice... One con where you and people in general have reason : It does not come by default as it should for the average Joe to install and don't care, as other windowses were in the past, to an extent. But really, is one of the best OSes MS ever produced, and like 8.1, is by personal almost scientific level tested experience, much, much better handling resources and memory than any of the previous (even our loved 7 !). And you gotta love the huge variety of software (free and commercial) available for it, and its versatility.  Combined to the good price and range of pieces (and brands) availability (I ALWAYS select each and every piece, in certain local shops that allow it ) of a Windows PC machine, it makes it a total winner. IMO. A Mac machine is gorgeous, though. But in the global picture, again, personal opinion, for me a pc wins, today. Some decades ago when stability and available professional software was not too good in Windows, not too stable, performance with large files way too bad... then yep, for serious work only the macs were the option... IMO, now is very different.

Cortana : Easy peasy to fully disable   :)  You just gotta fiddle a bit in the privacy options. I install a bunch of Win 10 for friends and family (spreading evil, mwahaha), and I always know my first 30 minutes or even an hour is to go touching every freaking default setting. If done well, Win 10 is absolutely functional and non invasive. There's a lot of bad press spit out there about it which imo doesn't do it justice... One con where you and people in general have reason : It does not come by default as it should for the average Joe to install and don't care, as other windowses were in the past, to an extent. But really, is one of the best OSes MS ever produced, and like 8.1, is by personal almost scientific level tested experience, much, much better handling resources and memory than any of the previous (even our loved 7 !).

Yeah pretty much.  When first setting it up select 'Custom Settings' rather than 'Express Settings', then you can go through what you want on or off.  Although I think in the upcoming 15063 'Creators Update', this has been made even more straight forward.  I guess we'll find out in two weeks time.

I think they could have left the simple on/off switch in the Search settings to turn Cortana off though (like they used to have), rather than messing round with Group Policy settings (or reg fixes in Windows 10 Home).

Windows 10: Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10

If you have problem with Wacom tablet you can try restart Wacom Service - as explained here. Other solution is looking for older driver, but it some case it make things worse too.

I use two Wacom tablet - older Bamboo and new Intuos (home and work). Older Intuos driver work fine with Bamboo, but new driver block pen keys.

If you like you can change driver from Wacom page.

I have another question now, and rather than be greedy with space I've decided to add it here.

This is an example of the maps I draw, and the kind of work I envisage doing in Affinity Photo in the future once the tablet bug is sorted out. 

I wonder if you can tell me if I would be better off using Affinity Designer, rather than Photo, or even a combination of both for work like this?

Well it always depends on what you work more with for creating your beautiful maps here. If you do more pixel/bitmap imaging work APhoto is fine, if you do instead more scalable vector work ADesigner is nice to have. Though both tools can also handle slightly the other ones domain too (dealing with pixel and vectors), each one offers more in it's usual pixel or vector field here. - In short, if you make big use of both vector/bimap drawings, it might make sense to use both here, since they also share the same Affinity file format, can call and switch to each other and thus can interoperate together!

You best should try out by yourself (try out the AD Win demo) and then decide on your own!

Well it always depends on what you work more with for creating your beautiful maps here. If you do more pixel/bitmap imaging work APhoto is fine, if you do instead more scalable vector work ADesigner is nice to have. Though both tools can also handle slightly the other ones domain too (dealing with pixel and vectors), each one offers more in it's usual pixel or vector field here. - In short, if you make big use of both vector/bimap drawings, it might make sense to use both here, since they also share the same Affinity file format, can call and switch to each other and thus can interoperate together!

You best should try out by yourself (try out the AD Win demo) and then decide on your own!

Thank you v_kyr :D

I use: Campaign Cartographer 3 with a series of add ons, which is a vector-based mapping app powered by FastCAD, GIMP, Corel Suite 11 (when it doesn't crash on me), Krita, Inkscape - all the freeware bitmap apps.  It depends on what I'm trying to do with a map, and the balance of vector/bitmap work varies enormously from map to map.

However, since AP and AD work together that way I would probably be able to do most of the work using them in tandem and swapping back and forth.  Its exactly what I would be doing with Corel - if I could afford the up-to-date version of the Suite (which I can't).  I can't use any of the nice add ons that other Corel users have because of it, so even if I stop it crashing its still very obsolete compared to what the modern (and far too expensive for me) version can do.

I'm thinking of a double purchase - AP and AD. This tablet problem we discussed at the top of the thread is, however, a sticking point for me.

I understand the Affinity team is small, but I wonder just how many cartographers would rather use Affinity once the bug is sorted out and I can show them all, over at Cartographer's Guild, just what it can do by drawing a few maps like that one with Affinity?  Most of the Cartographer's Guild members currently use various versions of PS.  I'd say there were about 2-300 potential customers there :)

Totally unrelated to Affinity but... I actually go out of my way to _ENABLE_ Cortana, both on the PC, Surface Pro 4, and Android phone, even though it's not supported in my country. Mainly for the synced notifications, it's just so great to be on the PC/Surface and get the phone notifications without having to reach it. Plus I can reply to messages straight from the PC using Cortana. Nice. :)

EDIT: I do have a Wacom tablet (regular Intuos) on Windows 10 and Affinity works just fine. Have you tried to enable Windows Ink (at least for the Affinity apps) in the driver settings?

Of course, I'm biased - she's a girl.  Now if we could have an alternative male persona I probably wouldn't have such a problem with him making unlooked for suggestions all the time :P

And yes - I have windows ink installed and enabled... which is I presume why my tablet works with all my other software without any problems at all - even the dinosaur stuff I've got.  It boots with the machine, automatically, and is always active.

From what others have said over at the Guild (Cartographer's Guild), it seems that some intuos tablets work with AP without a problem, and others don't.  Unfortunately mine (called a 'One') is one that doesn't.  This is a new version of the Bamboo, and likely to become very common, being at the cheaper end of the series.

Most, if not all, cartographers use tablets, not mice, and most of the PS users seem to show quite an intense interest in anything that can rival PS.  I guess the way that the threads that mention AP over at the Guild get such high viewing counts is an indication of just how many of them are totally fed up with the 'rent by the month' fashion they are being forced to pay through the nose for the software they use. 

Well, I don't have any more suggestions then. I do can tell you that Bamboo One is not popular or will ever be, mostly because Wacom discontinued the Bamboo line (and all it's variants) leaving only the (regular) Intuos and the Intuos Pro (http://www.wacom.com/en-de/products/pen-tablets). If I recall correctly, within the Bamboo One had a very short run, maybe a year or so.

They're still making and selling the one I've got - a best seller on Amazon.  My model is called 'One', not 'Bamboo One', so I think we may be talking about slightly different tablets here?

Ok - I stand corrected.  Though its only called a One on the box it came in, its called a Bamboo now on Amazon.  They have updated the description since I bought it a few months ago, and... its no longer a best seller.

Looks like you might be right.

Even so - Bamboo is a name that gets bandied about on a regular basis over at the Guild, and people don't tend to lash out on a new tablet all that often unless they get a windfall of some kind or the current one breaks, so there will still be a lot of users with this problem for quite some time.

The Wacom drivers download page lists actual ("latest drivers") and also "Drivers for Previous Generation Products" (aka drivers for Bamboo Create, Capture, Connect, Splash, Bamboo CTL, Bamboo CTH, and One by Wacom). - Mine is a CTH-model and works so far with the latest driver for those models!

Haha - reached my limit for positive votes today!  But I like your comment anyway v_kyr :D

I've downloaded the latest drivers, even though it didn't mention my tablet in particular, and we'll see if that makes any difference.

EDIT: I downloaded and installed the appropriate driver, but sadly it made no difference.  Thanks for trying to help anyway :)