You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Weird yellow tint in new images and when drawing greyscale

I just bought Affinity Photo and whenever i create a new image, it is not white but has a weird yellow tint. Also when i draw with 0 saturation and should be just grey it has this tint.

When i open Photos they are tinted (unless it is set to greyscale in the first place)

post-55030-0-47347500-1490353537_thumb.png

Image as displayed in Affinity Photo (left) and the original (right)

post-55030-0-62995800-1490354068_thumb.png

I appreciate any help i can get.

Your monitor has a broken/improper color profile supplied by its manufacturer.

Aim for this in control panel / color management settings.

post-44528-0-18964800-1490358015_thumb.png

System specs: Win 8.1 Pro 64bit | AMD PhenomII X6 1055T @ 3.0Ghz | 16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz | WD10EZEX | GTX 960 4GB | Wacom CTL-672

Your monitor has a broken/improper color profile supplied by its manufacturer.

Aim for this in control panel / color management settings.

attachicon.gifcprofiles.png

Thanks but it is definitely not the monitor. I have two monitors and it's the same on both. Every other software has no tint and if i make a screenshot and check it in another software, i can see that for example Affinity's "white" is actually not white but R 255, G253, B219 also the screenshots i attached should show this.

Windows 10, NVidia GTX970 - forgot to add that.

post-55030-0-67244100-1490358968_thumb.jpg

This is Affinity's color settings in case there is something unusual with this.

Thanks but it is definitely not the monitor. I have two monitors and it's the same on both. Every other software has no tint and if i make a screenshot and check it in another software...

Did you check the Control Panel > Colour Management settings as per the previous post?  The post wasn't saying that the monitor(s) were faulty, but that the ICC/ICM colour profile for the monitor(s) was incorrect/faulty.

The 'other software' you're checking it in isn't necessarily a good test because a lot of software isn't colour managed.  Therefore a faulty ICC/ICM colour profile won't show up in those applications as they completely ignore monitor colour profiles anyway and either assume sRGB or convert the image to sRGB if it has an embedded profile.

Did you check the Control Panel > Colour Management settings as per the previous post?  The post wasn't saying that the monitor(s) were faulty, but that the ICC/ICM colour profile for the monitor(s) was incorrect/faulty.

The 'other software' you're checking it in isn't necessarily a good test because a lot of software isn't colour managed.  Therefore a faulty ICC/ICM colour profile won't show up in those applications as they completely ignore monitor colour profiles anyway and either assume sRGB or convert the image to sRGB if it has an embedded profile.

Yes i did - the settings are all the same as in pixelrains screenshot. I also tried reinstalling and apply factory settings, but nothing helped.

Yes i did - the settings are all the same as in pixelrains screenshot. I also tried reinstalling and apply factory settings, but nothing helped.

Do you have any software on your computer that is definitely colour-managed, such as Photoshop, Windows Photo Viewer (the old legacy viewer, not the new Photos app), Canon DPP, etc. to open the image in.  That will show whether the colour tint really is only present in Affinity Photo or is present in other colour-managed programs too.

If it's only present in Affinity Photo, then that's maybe something Serif will know more about, as I don't know.  However, if it's present in other colour-managed software as well, then you could try going to your monitor manufacturers website and downloading/installing the latest drivers for the monitors (or from the discs that came with them).  I'm not sure what other monitor manufacturers are like, however with Dell monitors for example, when you install the monitor drivers it will also install a factory ICM colour profile for the monitor into Windows Colour Management (and it will be listed under the 'Devices' tab in pixelrain's first screenshot).

If it's not possible to get a factory ICM colour profile from you monitor manufacturer (and assuming you don't have a hardware calibrator), you could see if THIS site has an ICC/ICM profile for your monitor which you can try to see if it removes the colour tint. 

If your monitor isn't listed there either, alternatively you may be able to go to the 'Devices' tab in Windows Colour Management, tick 'Use my settings for this device', then click on the 'Add' button and add the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 ICM profile (and set it as the default monitor profile).  In theory if your settings are the same as pixelrain's screenshot, then because the Windows Colour System Defaults under the 'Advanced' tab are set to use sRGB IEC61966-2.1 as the default device profile, it should be the same thing.  However I think it's still worth trying, in case by explicitly associating the profile to the monitor in the 'Devices' tab it somehow overrides whatever is causing the blue colour shift.

Do you have any software on your computer that is definitely colour-managed...

Thank you very much for your time and effort. I once had a trial Version of Photoshop CC installed and if I remember right, there was no color shift. Otherwise, I have Blender, 3DS Max, Gimp, Fusion, Lightworks.... and I never had problems with a color shift in any of those.

As soon as I can, I will test adding the sRGB....profile manually and look if there is something wrocg with the white balance setting as suggested by @Engine44.  The thing is, I can't try anything until Monday because I don't have access to my PC at the weekend. If this does not work, I will contact the Customer Service.

If you need an color profile aware application to test images; you can use the portable Fullscreen Photo Viewer; just unzip and run it. The color management toggle is the F12 key. If the yellow tint is there too = color profile problems. :)

System specs: Win 8.1 Pro 64bit | AMD PhenomII X6 1055T @ 3.0Ghz | 16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz | WD10EZEX | GTX 960 4GB | Wacom CTL-672

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi SimonS,

Welcome to the Forums :)

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with a yellow in your documents. Please could you let me know if you were able to try the suggestions you mentioned you would try in your previous post?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi SimonS,

Welcome to the Forums :)

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with a yellow in your documents. Please could you let me know if you were able to try the suggestions you mentioned you would try in your previous post?

Thanks

Callum

Hi Callum,

Yes I tried all of them. Also reinstalling completely, playing around with the color profile settings, going back to factory settings, using another monitor. Until now now nothing helped. The  Fullscreen Photo Viewer pixelrain mentioned didn't have a tint.

Thanks for your time,

Simon S.

• Staff

Hi SimonS,

I know you said the issue happens with both monitors but did you try the suggestions in Pixel Rains first post? We have had a few people have this issue in the past every time the steps Pixel Rain suggested has fixed the issue. If you have tried that and it didn't fix the issue would you be able to provide the colour profile your monitor uses?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi SimonS,

I know you said the issue happens with both monitors but did you try the suggestions in Pixel Rains first post? We have had a few people have this issue in the past every time the steps Pixel Rain suggested has fixed the issue. If you have tried that and it didn't fix the issue would you be able to provide the colour profile your monitor uses?

Thanks

Callum

Thank you very much. I fixed it now. I had to check "use my settings for this device" so I can delete the factory profile of the monitor. Having no profile at all in color management like Pixelrain suggested didn't do the trick tho. I manually added an sRGB IEC61966-2.1 Profile and then it worked. Really great piece of Software by the way.

Glad you solved it, now its worth pointing that if your monitor(s) have their own drivers (which usually include their custom profile), any video driver change will reset this back and force you to remove it again in control panel. The simpler solution is to just remove any driver for the display(s) and just use the windows generic one (assuming there is no functionality lost that you really need.) this way you'll never need to worry about this.

• 3 years later...

Hello.  I'm having this same issue on both designer and photo on my laptop.   This is what I see.  Any suggestions to fix this?   This is a new issue.  The last time I used affinity, it was working fine.  That was months ago so I'm sure windows and pushed a few updates.  

2020-10-18_22-17-01.png