You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there no Brush Opacity Pen Pressure with a tablet?

Is that right that Affinity does not offer opacity control via Wacom tablet pen pressure?

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design  -  Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen - product:interface:design

Nope, I mean flow. I dont even know what accumulation is actually doing but by sliding flow I can change in opacity.

Opacity and Flow are different.  'Flow Jitter' is for flow.  'Accumulation Jitter' is for opacity. 

If you keep drawing over the same stroke with flow using a light pen pressure, it keeps adding more 'ink' and therefore keeps getting darker. 

If you keep drawing over the same stroke with opacity (Accumulation) using a light pen pressure, it doesn't keep adding  more 'ink' unless you lift the pen and put it back down or press harder. 

However, I'm not sure why it's called Opacity in the main interface brush settings, but Accumulation in the base brush settings.

I see! I was using some quite complicated brush, but I just checked on simple one and you are 100% right! I got all confused because on the brush I was using accumulation seemed to have no effect at all :/

Thanks for explaining!

As for the main question cekuhnen asked - still not true ;) All is working fine with Wacom pen.

However, I'm not sure why it's called Opacity in the main interface brush settings, but Accumulation in the base brush settings.

Duh that is what threw me off. I did not make that connection.

Perfect all working!

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design  -  Chair Interior Design - Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen - product:interface:design

A tip for usage: in order to have a "classic" Photoshop behaviour put the Accumulation value at 50% and respective Jitter at 100%

Also: Do not use HSL Jitters, because these override Accumulation preventing it to work properly, even if enabled.

:)

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

Is that a bug?

Thanks for the info!

The 50/100 combo for Accumulation is by design, it allows further dynamics (acting as a sort of "multiplier" depending on ramp' direction)

The HSL thing has been defined by AndyS as by design so far, but he also stated that will enable the full stack in the future.

I just told this in because if anybody tries to customise one of DAUB tools with Accumulation (and accidentally the preset has its own HSL dynamics) could think of something "broken" whereas it is not.

to me the accumulation thing at first made no sense at all, did not work at all and only your brushes made it work for me at first   :) maybe I used that HSL thing

asa the whole stack thing is live I think it is time for me to take a look at these brush area, I'm just not a painter but interesting topic nevertheless

Accumulation Jitter (aka Opacity) is very important in digital painting, it is also useful for photo-retouching purposes.

Let me clarify: the whole stack is the list of all the available jitters.

The whole stack is not yet completed and it has been so since the very first release of AP and AD.

Parameters not working for Texture Intensity brushes are:

• Hardness
  • Shape

Also, if HSL jitters are active (no matter which one)

• Wet Edges will not appear even if enabled
  • Accumulation Jitter will be ignored

So when the full stack will be enabled hopefully we could gain much more possibilities.

well in some sense it actually is broken at the moment   :D   :)   :ph34r:

It is only a matter of presentation.

Being picky, since these parameters are not active, AP/AD should disable relative sliders.

But the cross-disable behaviour is something very common.

CSP does the very same in other context: if you enable Colour Mixing, blending mode and Opacity Jitter turn off automatically.

Also in PS if you decide to apply texture to each brush tip,  texture control via pressure disappears.

Because are different: opacity is fixed.

Affinity basically allows you to use two levels of opacity.

You can for example create a brush with accumulation dynamic that goes from 0 to 100% and also set the global opacity of this stroke at 50%.

The first stroke has been done with a brush with Accumulation Jitter and 100% of Opacity

The second with the same brush but with Opacity at 40%

accumulationJitter.png