JensLundin

AD/AP Crashes when/during computer goes/is idle

Every time I have an open document in AD or AP and let my Mac go idle and returns after about 15-20 minutes to resume, both applications have crashed. I don't have them opened at the same time, but the error is the same for both applications. My screen goes black and I have to login to the Mac to resume after it being idle, and then can't find the running application again.

I'm running AD 1.5.5 and AP 1.5.2 on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.3.

When I restarts AD or AP after waking the Mac again, they either suggests to use a recovery file or just automatiacally opens the document again as nothing was ever happened. In these situations I need to close the program again and start over to start with a new document if I want this.

I was hoping for that this was fixed in the updates from today, but it wasn't so I decide to report it, as it really is annoying and concerns we a lot if I will lose my work in the future due to this.

If you want I can send you the crash reports if that is of any help.

I have tried to disable suspend disks when idle in the power settings control panel to see if that changed something, but the issue is still there.

Thank's in advance :-)

Hi,

We have the same OS version and I have no such problem.

Have you tried unchecking require password after sleep in Security & Privacy under General tab just as an experiment?

Also, there's no harm in downloading the the Betas. You still have the production version installed and see if the problems persists. 

Michael 

------
AD 1.6.1, AP 1.6.7 (Beta 5), have ADW, Serif PagePlus X8 and X9 testing APub Beta.
iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch, Late 2015, 3.2Ghz i5, 8GB 1867Mhz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M380 2GB1TB HDD, macOS Mojave 10.14.1.

Wacom Intuos 5 Pro (wireless - without lagging).

Visit my site: TechniSmart (when I ever find time to work on it)

If you want I can send you the crash reports if that is of any help.

Yes please. I haven't turned my Mac off in weeks and the apps stay open all the time and I've never had this. If we can find anything useful in those reports we can pass it to development to look into. 

Yes please. I haven't turned my Mac off in weeks and the apps stay open all the time and I've never had this. If we can find anything useful in those reports we can pass it to development to look into. 

It stills happens after I have unchecked require password. How do I upload the crash report - it's to long to post it says?

If you click 'More Reply Options' at the bottom you will have an 'Choose Files' button that you can click. If that fails to attach, try compressing it into a zip file.

Got it - thanks! 

When you return to your Mac, does it ask you to login? Has the screensaver kicked in? 

Yes, it ask for login. As I stated earlier I also tried to disable password protection so I don't have to enter password - it gives the same result. I guess that the screen saver has kicked in, as my external screen goes into power safe mode and my Wacom tablet also looses power from the Mac - the Mac goes into some sort of power saving mode until I press keyboard.

I've just spent some time trying to reproduce this and I am having no luck at all. I've tried it with different time delays, types of screensaver, with and with a password. I hope we can get something from the crash report to help you.

It makes me wonder if something else is conflicting with this. I'm sure we'd have lots of reports if it was solely the fault of Affinity as I imagine lots of people will leave their Mac idle long enough for a screensaver to appear  :unsure:

I've just spent some time trying to reproduce this and I am having no luck at all. I've tried it with different time delays, types of screensaver, with and with a password. I hope we can get something from the crash report to help you.

It makes me wonder if something else is conflicting with this. I'm sure we'd have lots of reports if it was solely the fault of Affinity as I imagine lots of people will leave their Mac idle long enough for a screensaver to appear  :unsure:

Hi Chris B. The only thing I can think that could interfere is that I have set my Mac to wakeup and perform backup to my TimeCapsule automatically during sleep - perhaps it's the backup that interferes. I will try to disable TimeMachine backups and let it go to sleep and see whats happens next time i wake my Mac up agian. I will report my finding later tonight.

I've added the crash report to the original bug report. I hope development can see a pattern between the two reports. I recall having a similar crash a while ago but this was when I left the app bouncing in the dock asking me to save after resuming from idle. 

I'm having a similar problem - started a few weeks ago.

When the computer wakes from sleep, the file visible is black, the largest object has a blue shape grid but none of the other files open are affected - when I click on those the normal artboard etc is there.

Running Mac 10.12.4

and AF 1.5.4 - though it was happening in the previous version too before the latest release.

Solution is to close the black file and then reopen it. Seems no harm is done to the file though it is a nuisance.

Thanks

I tried to reinstall Mac OS X, and now it's back to having the visible file shown as black (can't work with it) instead of crashing when returning after sleep. 

Great :) Thanks for letting me know! I'll add your feedback to our bug report. 

It didn't help. Today I experienced the "black box" issue again. Instead of displaying layer contents, the black box/frame is displayed - only restarting AP gets image back. I have attached a screen capture of how it looks before I have to restart AP.

post-27602-0-66348100-1492959357_thumb.png

Bah! I'll push it again. The bug is sat with development who expected 10.12.4 to have fixed this which, it clearly hasn't. I'll have to speak with development again to see if something needs to be done on Apple's end as well as ours. I'm sorry  :unsure:

Bah! I'll push it again. The bug is sat with development who expected 10.12.4 to have fixed this which, it clearly hasn't. I'll have to speak with development again to see if something needs to be done on Apple's end as well as ours. I'm sorry  :unsure:

Hi Chris B,

I really hope they will fix it - it's very annoying to have to restart Affinity every time I return with coffee etc. I have tried with and without external monitor - it makes black screen what so ever...

Br Jens

AD Beta 1.6-1 have the issue with black screen...

Any news if development actually is going to look into it?

Regards Jens

post-27602-0-64235700-1496507251_thumb.png