You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi craiggrella,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

When you draw those objects in Designer they are created as vector objects which are resolution independent and can be scaled up or down without losing quality. When you export them to a raster format like JPG or PNG they must be represented (rasterised) as pixels which are resolution dependent. If these vector objects (their horizontal/vertical edges) are not aligned to the pixel grid (so they end in the middle of a pixel) they become blurred when exported. With text objects you can't control precisely where the edges of text objects (letters) will end up (unless you convert the text to shapes and align/optimise them manually) and so they may become blurred when exported to raster formats (JPG, PNG) specially when exported as small images.

To help you better control the result of the export you can switch the View Mode in Designer to Pixels (or Pixels (Retina) - you can access this through the menu View ▸ View Mode - so you can see how the vector objects will be rasterised on export and make the necessary adjustments (move/scale text a little if necessary) to get a better result.

MEB,

i did transform them to curves and exported those as well. Stil pixelized.

I did not know about the line up. Is there any tutrial or documentation on how to view that line up of text or curves?

So other than PNG and JPG what do yu recommend as export image type?

SVG?

it's like night and day

but still showing as pixelized.

I've moved and scaled the text but pixelation remains.

Is there any other way to make this cleaner?

Anther view for snapping to pixels?

This is real frustrating because what I get in export is not even close to what I'm designing.

post-22679-0-88403900-1490294987_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi craiggrella,

On your screenshot above you are not seeing the document at 100% zoom, so this is a not a fair comparison since as I explained before the vector objects can be scaled up/down (or zoomed in/out) without losing quality (they are resolution independent), while raster objects are resolution dependent and so start become pixelated when you scale them up (or zoom in). To have an accurate preview of the exported document make sure you are seeing it at 100% zoom.

SVG is a vector based format so you should be able to zoom in/scale it up without losing quality (PNG and JPG are raster based formats). Where do you intend to use this image? It's for a webpage?

• 2 weeks later...

i exported png @2x and that seems to help.

I've attached a simple doc i created with 2 artboards.

I can't find anything in support that show me how to structure this doc to exclude the background from export.

When i go to slice exporter if i turn off background it turns off all slices.

All i want is the 2 docs.

Ideas?

FB and Twitter Image Template.afdesign

I can't find anything in support that show me how to structure this doc to exclude the background from export.

When i go to slice exporter if i turn off background it turns off all slices.

All i want is the 2 docs.

I am not sure what you mean by "turn off background" but when I uncheck the box for the background slice, the Export button at the bottom changes from "Export Slices (3)" to "Export Slices (2)," & clicking it exports the other two slices without problems.

Does this not work for you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

No - previously it turned off all layers. It was binary. on or off. off meant all layers off.

I deleted and reinstalled the program and that seemed to fix it though.

I wonder if i had a bad install.

The 2x seems to work okay when exporting, but the 1x is still pixelating, which seems odd. I'm making graphics at a decent resolution.

• 2 months later...

Please append your exported files to this thread, such that we can have a look if something strange happened during export. It is hard to assess your findings from your comments alone, and even the Affinity Designer file doesn’t really help …  :)

(To put it succinctly, the files in the original post look as it is to be expected when exporting to such a document size. Really, there is no unnatural “pixelation” … you can make minor adjustments, but overall, these files will always roughly look the same, and this will be the case in any other vector drawing program as well …)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

I have the same problem with the export......

You are real geniuses, this program can save people so much time and nerves, but before need to export...... :( 

I have read already many post, so i try everything or too much will have a bug fix or no? To know do I wait or start using my old one? 

Also i attached the file, so you can check if i have missed something.

Thank you and keep doing so great programs!