You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to adjust tabs in Paragraph menu?

I expected some creative options in the tab section of the Paragraph menu. They are there, but I am not able to assign different positions to multiple tabs within the same line. When I change one tab it changes the other one, also, even though I have made separate tabs with the + option.

What am I missing? Thanks.

Yes. That is what is bothering me. My understanding (that may be wrong) is that when I select one of my tabstops in the left column (such as the second one in the snap below = 0.07), its setting should show in the box to the right (1.425 below), and in that box I should be able to adjust its setting, independent of the other stops. However, changing  this 1.425 (my setting for the first tabstop) also changes the top tabstop (the one named "0").

Perhaps I am misunderstanding how this tab section works. I find no explanation of it on the forum. Thanks for any assistance you may be able to give me. I hope my attached screen shot come through in this post.

post-26893-0-70866300-1490398084_thumb.png

The box on the right is for setting Default Tab Stops, which according to the help topic Paragraph panel "controls the standard horizontal space added before a character when a tab (⇥) is inserted." According to the help topic Paragraph formatting, to modify an existing tab stop, you double-click a listed tab stop and type in a new value to adjust it.

Translation: the Default Tab Stops value sets the increment for new tab stops when you click on the plus icon to its right. To change an existing tab stop, double-click on it in the list on the left & enter a new value.

Not the clearest explanation in the help once could hope for, nor the most user friendly way of modifying one in the UI.  :(

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 8 months later...

The Tab Stop panel seems to be completely unusable. Inserting values results in random values and has no effect on text flow.

Example:

I’m entering 10mm for the second tab, but the value changes to 8,82mm and the first tab value changes, too!

If I change the third tab, the first and second are changing randomly (the second is 7,06 now)!

But the text formatting stays always the same!

• 1 month later...

I think serif has it has very very basic tabs placeholder for whats yet to come in publisher, at the moment it is counter intuitive and only works foe 3 or 4 tabs - I tried to recreate my invoice template which i've done in InDesign cs5 using tabs and tables for the past 8 years which is super quick and accurate but thought i'd give it a go in designer while waiting for publisher but in the end, it was just the tabs system which had me screaming SOD IT and just going back to InDesign - a few months ago I was tempted to go back to Quark (great tabbing system) but the tables system is just terrible compared to InDesign - Hoping theres a good tables system in publisher (import .csv & .xls, table styles, outflow with headers and footers) I've found InDesign cs5 really great for taking say a 200 page annual report in word format and just doing a straight import with me just changing all text and table styles on import so you have a usable document within seconds with all tables inline auto flowing thought the document - really hope we have something like this in publisher

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk