Frank Jonen

AffinityPhoto 1.5.2 - How to downgrade?

I need to add on to a matte painting but the new version doesn't let me work on objects larger than approx 300 x 500 px. Everything else gets cut to that with a soft circular feather. New layers that I add when painting in other apps and placing in AP are impossible to select. The blue layer frame only gets displaced to the same max dimensions. When I try to select it, the selection gets applied to the layers below it.

This all was possible in 1.5.1. In 1.5.2 this probably got messed up with the 32-bit fixes. So I need a way to get back to the App Store version 1.5.1 to be able continue to work before this gets fixed.

Scratch that. It's a bug with the selections being saved with the document. When you paint a selection with the overlay toggle and step out of overlay mode the selection not only remains active with zero visual cues as to what is happening but it also gets saved with the document. That's what caused the error I'm experiencing. 

Hi Frank,

Are you able to give a bit of information on the brush settings you were using when making the selection in Quick Mask (with Overlay)? It sounds as though you may be using a quite low opacity brush, so none of the selected pixels are being shown. I believe the threshold is 51% Opacity and higher will show the marching ants, anything smaller will not.

That makes sense as I rarely paint high opacity masks. Doesn't explain why it's still there after closing a document and opening it again later. That's not at all expected behaviour. There needs to be some visual cue to indicate 'mask is active' after a document has been loaded. I found out the mask was still active by accident when my wacom slipped. The odds of that happening are marginal at best. 

Imagine if I had shipped the file to a client and it had halted production on their end because of this. That's not at all what anyone expects when opening a file.

That'd be a good option. Or a bit like Capture One does it when you go through adjustments and quickly flash up the mask. 

I'd rather have the option to save and load masks in a quick mask stash that can easily be flushed. But they'd have to activated manually as auto activations always cause problems. 

Not saving the selection is not an option either though

Maybe the best thing would be a sign like the one that says "Color profile assigned" but just "selection active"

Hi Frank,

This is a bug. It should display the selection (marching ants) in all cases no matter if the opacity of the brush or the lightness is inferior to 50.

The ability to save the file with a selection active is by design as far as i know. The only issue here is the missing marching ants when you open the document.

I will check if this was already logged and do so in case it's not.

Thanks.

[EDIT] Issue logged.