A. J.

[By Design] Betas won't open - "Requires Retail Version," which is already installed.

OK, Guys:

This is intolerable! A few days ago I posted that suddenly the betas wouldn't open, saying "Requires Retail Version." I had purchased the retail version from the App store, and it was installed and working. It was a major job to get the betas to open again. The latest beta was identified as 1.5.2 (beta 6), but kept coming up as 1.5.2 (beta 5). Today I got a message from Apple that there was an update to the retail version 1.5.1, which was 1.5.2. I installed the update, and the retail app 1.5.2 is working fine. However, since installing the Apple update, the betas will not open. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the retail version from the App Store, moving a copy from Time Machine backups, etc., etc.

I love the application, but I am now wondering if I should have gotten involved with it in the first place. If this continues I'll have to find an alternative to AP. Is this fixable, and if so, how?

To recap: Retail Version 1.5.2 is installed and working. The betas (none of them) will open.

Hi A.J.,

This is expected. The Betas only recognize the previous Mac App Store version. There's no point in having the Beta installed now since everything in the beta (fixes/improvements etc) is now included in the latest Mac App Store version (Designer 1.5.5 and Photo 1.5.2).

We will release another Beta later (with more updates/fixes) that will recognize this (now) current new Mac App Store version (1.5.2).

I share A,J.'s frustration!

But more of an issue to me with the betas not launching now is all the user added content and preferences I’ve added and set up in the betas. All of which has now to be redone in the new MAS versions.
Why can’t both betas and MAS share the same user added content and preferences?

Or put up new betas at the same time as a new MAS version, even if the new beta is just a "holding" version until a real beta update is available.

macOS 10.14.6  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Hi mark,

The Betas are just for testing/feedback purposes. It would be too risky to share settings/files with the MAS version. It could break/mess both apps due to incompatibilities (betas usually include new features/settings/funcionality not supported in the current MAS but we may also need to (force) reset the Betas in a few circumstances for testing purposes.

If you are using the application for commercial/important work you should rely on the Mac App Store version instead.

The Betas are just for testing/feedback purposes. It would be too risky to share settings/files with the MAS version. It could break/mess both apps due to incompatibilities (betas usually include new features/settings/funcionality not supported in the current MAS but we may also need to (force) reset the Betas in a few circumstances for testing purposes.

If you are using the application for commercial/important work you should rely on the Mac App Store version instead.

like this is a bit ridicules 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/36601-affinity-photo-customer-beta-152-beta-5/?p=180617

"As this is a stability beta, it is suitable for production work and should be used in preference to the App Store version if you need any of the fixes it contains."

affinity should definitely improve their communication strategy 

markw, you can dig into the Folder where the presets are stored and transfer them, there is a significant chance that this will work.

but guess the affinity staff should fix that

these beta-expire/ override complains come up every single time since this thing is running, would be time to finally resolve this 

MBd,

We only post those messages when the betas are in the final stage and we are only implementing stability fixes for an already released main Mac App Store update.

Here's the whole paragraph from the link you posted:

This is the latest in a series of customer beta builds intended to improve the stability of the new 1.5.1 App Store version of Affinity Photo. We'll be doing these for a few weeks, then we will update the App Store version. This beta will sit alongside the App Store version and not interfere with it - although your settings will not be shared between the two versions.

As this is a stability beta, it is suitable for production work and should be used in preference to the App Store version if you need any of the fixes it contains.

---

@markw

Here's the path where the settings are stored in you still want to copy the settings across the apps (i will do a backup of the MAS settings first):

/Users/{your username}/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto.beta/Data/Library/Application Support/user/

You can find additional information ragrding settings/resets etc here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/18415-what-exactly-do-the-clear-user-data-options-clear/?p=86218

yeah does not change much to be fair

This beta will sit alongside the App Store version and not interfere with it

​// it DOES interfere with it, asa the mas version is updated, the beta does not work anymore, this is as much interference as one can get afaic

like IF we push this update, THEN inform our users, give an option to do xyz

​IF 30 days or whatever timeframe is over THEN release a new beta before the other one expires 

this is really coming up every single time

let's be real the situation as is is not user friendly no matter what is said anywhere, don't do "eventually" etc. quoting like in the Publisher launch discussion

- does not help anyone 

for markw

you can go to your desktop

hold down the alt/option key

klick "go to" on the top bar 

> Library 

>> Containers

>>> com.seriflabs.affinityphoto.beta

>>>> Data

>>>>> Library

>>>>>> Application Support

>>>>>>> User