You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Save History File with Document" as Default in Settings

Hey there,

I always forget to check the "Save History File with Document" after creating a new one. I understand, that not everybody wants to save the history by default, because it would make a lot of files a lot larger (I guess so?). But for others it would be nice to have a Checkbox in the (User-)Settings to get the history saved with the document by default when saving a document.

Perhaps it would even be possible, to have a "per document"-exception-setting.

Greetings, Johannes

• 5 months later...

I would like to second this! Or at the very least is it possible to assign a shortcut to this command? I like to crop my documents for web viewing, but would like to be able to un-crop things for print later, and it is a real pain to have to re-do an entire photo just for forgetting to check that box.

• 4 weeks later...

But for others it would be nice to have a Checkbox in the (User-)Settings to get the history saved with the document by default when saving a document.

Then I'd be fine with this. :)

For God loved the [whole] world so much that he gave his one and only Son,
so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi ALB37, buddingphotographer,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This is not enabled by default because it increases file size considerably.

Well I thought so - but please don't patronize us! I have a huge NAS at hands and if the file size is 500mb or 100mb or 1gb - I simply don't care! It's more important do be able to track the steps in the document. Why not give an option to save history per default - with a specific number of saved steps? e.g. 250steps are saved - if you want more, please alter the given settings. I, for example, would then go to settings and always drag the handle to the highest default steps saved. There could be even a prompt, wenn the total file-size reaches a specific limit on saving - as a warning.

• Staff

Hi Tschens
That's not the point. Do you have idea how many user requests have been made on these forums? It's impossible for the dev team to implement them all (even if they wanted and assuming they all make sense) so they have to prioritize them, taking in consideration what's already planned for the next versions too. It's not easy to balance these things.
We are already doing the best we can.

12 minutes ago, MEB said:

I wasn't doing it. I was just confirming/explaining why it's disabled by default. It's up to dev team to decide if and when those requests are implemented, not me.

I didn't meant you specifically but rather the software in general :) It think it's totally okay to have it set to "off" when installing the application. But users should decide on their own how much resources they want to make available for their software. Same with Computer Games: Actually not a lot of people will be able to set the graphical settings of a game to "high" or "ultra" - but setting it to "minimum" and have to manually switch it to "ultra" everytime the game starts would not be a proper solution :D

22 minutes ago, MEB said:

I agree it shouldn't be complicated to add an option for this in the Preferences.

That sounds very promising and I'm very happy if you think this request is worth considering in the (I guess) extremely full timetable of the devs!

2 minutes ago, MEB said:

We are already doing the best we can.

I'm absolutely sure you are! #noIrony :) This patronizing I was speaking of happened pretty much unconscious I guess - they didn't meant to. There is the feature (History) and it works very well. It could just be ... improved a bit more ;) 

It's easy to suggest to make something an option, but be aware that two additional on/off options lead to four times the possible outcomes of the working of the software. All this on top of what's already available. For the developer it means many more test situations. 

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey everybody! Have there been any updates in this arena, cause I would certainly love to be able to open my documents up and not have to say "F#@k, I forgot to check the Save History File with Document tab again!!" and have lost all of the previous steps that I am expecting to just be there. I do a lot with those older steps, and when they aren't there it really bleeping sucks. No hard feelings, I just want to say that I am still hoping for this to be an available option. Thanks!

On 2.10.2017 at 5:58 PM, MEB said:

I agree it shouldn't be complicated to add an option for this in the Preferences.

A not perfect but working workaround until this feature will get implemented is to save a couple of default documents in a special folder. As of @JohaWeber's comment for him hard drive space is not a problem.

First you create those documents you use the most and leave them blank. Just enable 'Save document history' and save the document with a name like 'default A4'.

Second you start a new project with one of these documents. You just save it under a new name before working. Which is something you usually do anyway :-)

The only difference to 'File > New' is that you start with a doubleclick on a document in you defaults folder :-)

Maybe this may work for some of you?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

1 hour ago, Fatih19 said:

Not the immediate next version but in 1.6 if possible. 

Dear @Fatih19,

are you confused? We are already on version 1.6 :)

Or am I confused :$

Cheers,

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

2 hours ago, Fatih19 said:

In version 1.6.x is what I meant. 

I see. Let's see what they come up with :)

d.

• 3 months later...

Apparently "save with history" still is not offered as a default setting. Imagine if Photoshop didn't save history by default -- millions of designers around the world would have burned Adobe to the ground. ;)

I cannot imagine why Affinity would resist adding such an important default setting. Very disappointing.

1 hour ago, TBolt said:

Very disappointing.

Hello @TBolt,

sorry to answer to your post in an ironic (but friendly) way.

If you find this 'very disappointing' then you will have many disappointments once you start to look around in the forum ;)

Serif, the programmers and the other staff are working very hard on the software. Plus they are communicating very open here at the forum. It is just not possible for them to implement all the features that are discussed/wished around here.

I, myself, am more impressed about the output of features and the basic concept itself they bring to us.

But that is just my to cents :)
d.

2 hours ago, dominik said:

Hello @TBolt,

sorry to answer to your post in an ironic (but friendly) way.

If you find this 'very disappointing' then you will have many disappointments once you start to look around in the forum ;)

Serif, the programmers and the other staff are working very hard on the software. Plus they are communicating very open here at the forum. It is just not possible for them to implement all the features that are discussed/wished around here.

I, myself, am more impressed about the output of features and the basic concept itself they bring to us.

But that is just my to cents :)
d.

Hi @dominik :) 

Overall, the Serif software is fine. However, potentially losing our own work history IS A HUGE F$&(_# DEAL. >:(

I am sure any one of us can think of a hundred times when we've wanted / needed to go back to a file for any of myriad reasons.

Saving work history by default ought to be near the top of the developers' list for the next release. Thank you. 

9 hours ago, TBolt said:

Hi @dominik :) 

Overall, the Serif software is fine. However, potentially losing our own work history IS A HUGE F$&(_# DEAL. >:(

I am sure any one of us can think of a hundred times when we've wanted / needed to go back to a file for any of myriad reasons.

Saving work history by default ought to be near the top of the developers' list for the next release. Thank you. 

Hi @TBolt,

I certainly agree with you that it would be nice to have this as an option. Even though I am not sure if I personally would set it to permanantly on.

I'm just not sure how quick we will see this implemented. Of course you are in the right place to express your wish and need for this function.

All the best,
d.

• 11 months later...

I really need this to be a permanent preference as I'm a beginner and need to go back constantly to fix my mistakes. I actually had no idea it didn't save history by default until I opened a project and found my history panel blank. The advertising made me assume that history and multiple futures (cycle?) were default options that I could go back to. 

• 10 months later...