You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unhandled Exception has occured .... Code: 0xC0000005

Hello everyone,

So even with the latest beta that you just uploaded, I am still able to reproduce the issue and lock me out of affinity designer.

Steps to reproduce ( WARNINGThis will make your A.D. unusable! ) :

WARNING 2: Now even after reinstall, delete of all folder including AppData's affinity one, the software will crash all the time!

- Unzip my file & Open AD
- Import swatches
- Import icons (assets)
- Try to open the affinity design file "palette"

You will have the crash message, once you restart the app you will have the same message again.

Hope you can do something, I have many crashes with affinity designer while using swatches + assets, most of the time it leads to AD being unusable and me having to delete the designer app folder which is a huge pain...

Best regards

PS: ( This happens on every single version I could get my hands on. )

EDIT:

Included the crash report.

Material-Design-Colors-Swatches-Icons-Palette.zip

f1f6061d-3043-4221-b9a9-e343643b98f3.dmp

test.afdesign

• Staff

Hey Qu4ntumSpin,

Thanks for the files. Unfortunately 3 of us have tried this and we cannot reproduce it. We've even tried it on the Windows 10 Creators Update Insider Preview Build 15042.

Can you tell me what your system specs are and also clarify if you are adding the palettes as a Document pallet or as an Application pallet. 

Thanks 

Hey Qu4ntumSpin,

Thanks for the files. Unfortunately 3 of us have tried this and we cannot reproduce it. We've even tried it on the Windows 10 Creators Update Insider Preview Build 15042.

Can you tell me what your system specs are and also clarify if you are adding the palettes as a Document pallet or as an Application pallet. 

Thanks 

Hello Chris.

So I have 3 computers and can reproduce on all of them:

1) Surface Book Performance

- i7, 16GB of ram, gtx965M

- Windows Insider latest 15063

2) Desktop pc

- FX8350

- GTX 970

- 16GB of ram

- few hard drives

- Windows latest normal update (No insider enabled)

3) Desktop PC

- Ryzen 1700

- GTX 1070

- 32GB of ram

- nvme samsung 960 evo 500GB

- few hard drives

- Windows Insider latest 15063

True, I forget to mention, I import both assets and swatches as Application imports.

PS: Antivirus is the one included with windows. Not any external tool doing any fuzzy stuff.

PPS: Ryzen desktop is one week old, so very fresh install etc... Can't do much better than that to exclude any external reason for the crash.

Okay, I went through all the folders of affinity and deleted everything and uninstall everything.
I am now unable to reproduce on my main machine.

I can't fiddle much more at the moment with this.

Maybe let the devs know about the dump file, they might figure out something from it.

I'll post here again if it happens suddenly during my work.

Best regards

• Staff

Hey Qu4ntumSpin,

We have just been through the report and noticed you have RivaTuner Statistics Server. We've installed it and reproduced a crash. When you get chance, can you try disabling that on your other machines and see if you can reproduce it, assuming your non-primary machines have that installed. 

Hey Qu4ntumSpin,

We have just been through the report and noticed you have RivaTuner Statistics Server. We've installed it and reproduced a crash. When you get chance, can you try disabling that on your other machines and see if you can reproduce it, assuming your non-primary machines have that installed. 

Hello Chris,

RivaTuner and Msi Afterburner are only installed on my main machine, not on the other ones

But I'll gave a try with/without on my main machine.

Few crashes later... 

@Chris
I finally found one culprit that it is easy to replicate.

- Open the "test" affinity file I attached to the main post 

All possible ways of crashing AD:
- Delete the second artboard (with or without deleting the objects inside)
- Try to create a new artboard anywhere

How to fix it:
- Open the "header" on the first artboard, (test2->Header)
- Go to User (Symbol) -> Image (Elipse) -> Image (Pixel)
- Delete the Image (Pixel)
- Tadaaaa.... You are now officially able to create any artboard you want and delete anything you want... It won't crash anymore...

I have no idea where all those crashes come from, but this is seriously hindering my ability to use Affinity Designer as a professional tool :/ 

• Staff

I understand that Qu4ntumSpin. Some areas need addressing but the dev team work day and night to make fixes and improvements and they consider crashes as a high priority so I would expect this issue to be taken seriously. Thanks for figuring it out and putting the time in. 

@Chris Since I experience a lot of crashes in various situations, with and without "MSI afterburner & Riva tuner stats.", I'll gladly sign any NDA to be able to get a version with debug symbols activated for your dev team. Even if it slows down the affinity software.

Let me know if that is of any interest for you.

PS: I am also a software engineer, so I know those can ben helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

The same happened to me in a certain file where I had symbols. Dragging the artboard also led to a crash code: 0xC0000005. After deleting the symbols dragging artboards worked again. I can't share the file with you unfortunately.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.