You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ONE MORE TIME: Hold SHIFT to constrain to 45/90/180 angles in AF Photo using brush and erase tools

The lack of this feature remains a continuing annoyance every time I use AF Photo. It's been in Photoshop for as long as I can remember, since at least Photoshop 7, waaaaaay back in 2002. 

Not having this feature is particularly troublesome when I want to use a square brush with the erase tool to trim off corners in at perfect 90 degree angles, or when I want to do a perfectly straight-line clone stamp or brush stroke. 

Please add this feature. Thing is, it's already in place for the pen tool in AF Photo right now ---- click to drop a node, hold SHIFT to constrain a straight line angle before dropping your next node. It can't be that much more work to add it for the brush, clone stamp, and erase tools. 

• 2 months later...

+100000! I couldn't agree more. I use this feature constantly in PS daily and It's really frustrating to not be able to constrain to 90 degree angle when drawing with the brush in Photo. Please add this! Point to point straight lines is nice and I appreciate it but it is not the same as drawing continuously at 90 deg. angles as in Photoshop. Just because of this thing alone I'm forced to use PS for some of the jobs I do.

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Use the pen tool and click at the start point then hold the Shift key and move to the end point and click again.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Serif: This missing feature just cost you a sale.  No the pen tool is not a substitute, and no the current 'shift-click-to-continue' functionality is not a substitute.  It needs to work like Photoshop where you use the shift key to constrain a line with the paintbrush as you are painting it.  I can't buy a Photoshop substitute that doesn't do this -- it's a shame.

I don't know if this will be of any use, but you can do that with the Pixel Tool, but just for vertical and horizontal lines. You can also erase using the same Pixel Tool.

Best regards!

24 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

I don't know if this will be of any use, but you can do that with the Pixel Tool, but just for vertical and horizontal lines. You can also erase using the same Pixel Tool.

Best regards!

Wow, good spot!  Thanks, but unfortunately I do need this feature with the brush tool, for quick (and smooth) sketching.

Some observations after a quick play around in the AP trial:

1. There is a slight issue with the 'constrain' implementation with the Pixel Tool: it's too keen to continue the previous line. Starting a stroke and *then* holding shift should just apply the constraint, but currently it will retroactively connect the previous stroke. (This happens up until you move the new stroke, meaning that to use the constraint feature on its own requires a very precise start to the stroke, which is not fun). Photoshop's implementation beats this.
  2. The 'alternate' draw mode on the Pixel tool would work great with the paint brush tool!  The Ctrl key isn't currently used for the brush, so why not allow a quick erase?

Damn, this make it even more frustrating that Serif can't quite pull this all together :(

Hi!

1. Ahhh, sorry, I totally forgot that: yes, it tends to continue previous lines. As a workaround always click first in the nre part of the canvas where you want to start a new line.
  2. Yes, that would be handy indeed.

I don't think that the Dev Team can't do this, but more like they have other things to do first.

Best regards!

/bump

Sigh, 18 months after raising this issue with Serif and despite a large number of people here telling them that the lack of this functionality is a deal-breaker when it comes to AP being a viable replacement for illustrative purposes to Photoshop, there's still no sign that will be implemented and worse, no acknowledgement by Serif of the problem.

Hell, even Krita and a new kid of the block Rebelle this functionality even if their implement differs to that of Photoshop. If you don't want or are unable to implement Adobe's solution due to issues of copyright then at least look at how Krita and Rebelle implement a straight line tool with the capacity to constraint the line to the horizontal and vertical. I implore Serif to investigate the solutions in these packages and implement something that permits this.

Here are some suggestions -

*Alt-Shift Click to constrain a straight line to the horizontal or vertical
*A dedicated straight line tool a la Krita with Shift providing the ability to constrain it to the horizontal and vertical
*Holding shift brings up a guide where the angle of the line can be set and Shift locks it to the horizontal and vertical.

Serif, despite your apparent obstinance, there's a very good reason that every one of your free and commercial competitors offer this functionality. It's because it's immensely useful to indispensable for some workflows.

I'm pleased with the improvements in the latest version. The Brush tool is vastly improved in terms of speed and responsiveness however, I still haven't made the transition and find myself using my old orphaned CS5 Photoshop and Krita while Photo languishes. The lack of this feature prevents me from recommended Photo unreservedly to other illustrators/visualisers.

www.grantregan.com // burning sky / art of grant regan - art direction // concepts // matte-painting // illustration

Lenovo e570p - i7 7700hq / Win10 pro / 32Gb 2400mhz RAM / NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti / Wacom Cintiq 13HD & Huion Kamvas 16 Pro

• 1 month later...

Go with the flow in a spin if you can't move to this
Then you probably are dead
So wave your hands in the air
Bust through the moves run your fingers through your hair
This is it for a winner
Dance to this and you're gonna get thinner
Move slide your rump
Just for a minute let's all do the bump
Bump bump bump yeah.

---MC HAMMER, " U Can't Touch This"

Maybe a little humor will win some reciprocity???

• 2 months later...