You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Document Resizing Difficulties

I'm sure this has been covered before but try as I might, I am finding it difficult to resize image files - I think it's called being thick.

Typically, the image out of the camera has:

1.  DPI 350. Pixel size = 4,550 x 3,405

2.  Measurement = 13.257 inches x 9.92 inches

All I want to do is

1.  Change the DPI to 402 (resolution required by the print lab I use (Pro Am Imaging in Bradford - ace outfit)

2.  Change the measurement to 13.0 inches on the long side - my preferred print size.  I understand that the short side will change automatically.

I have been doing this for years in Photoshop without any problems.  In AP however, I change the size of both the DPI and the measurement with various resample button options checked and unchecked.  The file is saved, closed and reopened only to find the original size is present.

Would some kind soul please give me an idiot's step by step guide with proper keyboard sequence to achieve want I need with the best quality for printing?

Thanks in advance.  

David

• Staff

Hi David,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Those values (DPI 350. Pixel size = 4,550 x 3,405) already correspond to 13 inches on the long side (4550 / 350=13).

To change the DPI to 402 go to menu Document ▸ Resize set the DPI to 402, make sure Resample is checked and press Resize.

The file should be saved with those settings. Isn't this working for you? Which OS are you using Windows or macOS?

Hi MEB

Thanks for the reply.  I didn't even get my question correct.  The pixel size is 4640 x 3472 not as stated.  So, 13.257" x 350 = 4640.

However, I shoot in Raw on my Olympus - ORF format.  If I resize and Save as xxxx.afphoto, the revised copy adjusts to the required size.  So far so good.  Then if I export the xxxx.afphoto file as a jpeg which is what the photo lab needs, the jpeg opens up with the dimensions of the original RAW file.  How bizarre is that?  I am confused by my confusion.

I am working on a Mac since only a month ago and still adapting but would describe myself as a pretty competent Windows/Photoshop user.

I am considering alcohol as a solution

Regards

David