You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So, say i want to create a shape 980px in width and then i want to have a border of 5px.

I set the "Line" to that width and give it the cap and join settings i want. But, that has now made my shape 10px higher and longer.

How can i tell it to draw the "line" inside the shape rather than outside?

Also, when a object like this is selectable, there is a very very thin purple line going through the line, which then goes if i select any other tool than the pointer. How can i turn that off?

Thanks!

• Staff

Hello bjohnb,

You can apply a stroke effect to the object. There you can select the alignment of the stroke.

Go to the Effects panel (near the Layers panel) check the stroke effect then click on the cog at the right. You get a new "dialog" with more options, one of them being alignment.

The point of the purple line is to show you the objects that will be considered for snapping called snapping candidates in Affinity Designer. Check the help for more info on this. To turn if off, go to the snapping options and uncheck Show snapping candidates.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure this workaround fully addresses the issue. There is a difference between strokes and lines (to use AD's own parlance). A line is mathematical geometry -- I can convert (aka "Expand") it to a shape at any time. However, a stroke is just a visual effect that can't be expanded.

So, while I can indeed adjust the alignment of a stroke effect in AD, I'd still like to be able to adjust caps, corners, *and* alignment -- all three -- with regard to outlines. Photoshop is the closest comparison, since it, too, has both stroke types (and they're both confusingly called "stroke"!), and the alignment can be adjusted for both kinds of stroke.

It's important to be able to adjust the alignment of either type.

Hope I explained that clearly. It makes sense in my head. ;)

• Staff

I'm not sure this workaround fully addresses the issue. There is a difference between strokes and lines (to use AD's own parlance). A line is mathematical geometry -- I can convert (aka "Expand") it to a shape at any time. However, a stroke is just a visual effect that can't be expanded.

So, while I can indeed adjust the alignment of a stroke effect in AD, I'd still like to be able to adjust caps, corners, *and* alignment -- all three -- with regard to outlines. Photoshop is the closest comparison, since it, too, has both stroke types (and they're both confusingly called "stroke"!), and the alignment can be adjusted for both kinds of stroke.

It's important to be able to adjust the alignment of either type.

Hope I explained that clearly. It makes sense in my head. ;)

Hi scamper,

The alignment of strokes (no effects) is coming. This is the 1.0 release. Not all features are implemented yet. Check the feature roadmap for more info.

• 3 years later...

Was this issue ever resolved? The workaround above is insteresting, but obviously stroke is the tool of choice, especially if there is no fill. If, for instance, I want to create a set of icons that are the same size, my options are pretty limited by not being able to set the strokes inside objects. My icon that says 32x32 is actually a few pixels larger than the dimensions indicate.