You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I followed thru step 4 without any problem.  However once pixels were inverted, I could not use rectangle or other choices to select an area without it disappearing the inverted selected area.

I am not sure what you mean by "use rectangle or other choices to select an area." Are you talking about the Rectangular Marquee Tool & similar ones like the Column Marquee Tool? If so, each of these has a Mode setting in the Context Toolbar with choices New, Add, Subtract, & Intersect. In the New mode, each of them replaces any existing selection, so if you are using these tools in that mode that is the expected behavior. Use (for example) Add mode instead if you want to add to the current selection.

But that aside, why are you doing this? The point of my steps 3 & 4 was to select the transparent border only, so the Edit menu inpainting choices would be applied just to that area of the canvas.

If you do step 5 after step 4 without doing anything else you should see some results, although they may not be what you expect. What you get will depend on how large the border is to begin with & the contents of the image near its edges. Try this with a small border to begin with, like by resizing the canvas by only a few percent in step 1. Inpainting can't work miracles -- it can only sample from nearby areas & try to blend the patterns in those areas into the inpainted areas as seamlessly as possible.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am not sure what you mean by "use rectangle or other choices to select an area." Are you talking about the Rectangular Marquee Tool & similar ones like the Column Marquee Tool? If so, each of these has a Mode setting in the Context Toolbar with choices New, Add, Subtract, & Intersect. In the New mode, each of them replaces any existing selection, so if you are using these tools in that mode that is the expected behavior. Use (for example) Add mode instead if you want to add to the current selection.

But that aside, why are you doing this? The point of my steps 3 & 4 was to select the transparent border only, so the Edit menu inpainting choices would be applied just to that area of the canvas.

If you do step 5 after step 4 without doing anything else you should see some results, although they may not be what you expect. What you get will depend on how large the border is to begin with & the contents of the image near its edges. Try this with a small border to begin with, like by resizing the canvas by only a few percent in step 1. Inpainting can't work miracles -- it can only sample from nearby areas & try to blend the patterns in those areas into the inpainted areas as seamlessly as possible.

Yes you are right & In reference to the rectangle tool it is the 7th Icon on left with Free Hand Selection tool, Elliptical Marquee Tool, etc.

I also tried doing it in the Add mode as suggested with no results.  I would like to send you 6 step by step pictures but cannot figure out how to add it to this account.

DonS

I would like to send you 6 step by step pictures but cannot figure out how to add it to this account.

To attach a file to your post, press the 'More Reply Options' button below the message composition area and then press 'Choose File' in the Attach Files section that appears on the next page. Browse to the file that you want to attach and press 'Attach This File'. Repeat the procedure for any additional files that you want to attach, and then post your completed message.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

My success with inpainting depends greatly on how large an area I try to apply it to. Small areas usually work very well, but the larger an area I start with, the less usable the results become.

DonS is attempting to attach 6 files.  Hopefully I will succeed and thanks for you help.

You are so good at giving instructions and below are the 6 pictures with steps I tried on the inpainting tool.

It is so wonderful to have you on the forum.

Don Shelton

post-48986-0-45917200-1490533903_thumb.png

post-48986-0-50716300-1490533988_thumb.png

post-48986-0-03984500-1490534042_thumb.png

post-48986-0-65498800-1490534086_thumb.png

post-48986-0-89735700-1490534143_thumb.png

post-48986-0-11946800-1490534206_thumb.png

Try making your selection bigger before doing the Inpainting  (it does not work for me on a small selection, like you have shown)

See attached for how the selection size should look.

Also, remember to rasterise the layer immediately after resizing the canvas

(If you still have trouble, please upload your project file, the same way you uploaded the screenshots)

post-17958-0-35531300-1490537845_thumb.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Don,

Please try the method I suggested in post 9 of this topic, resizing the file by just a few percent (not the over 10% shown in your screenshots), without changing, adding, or otherwise altering the border shaped selection that produces. You should see some results, but it will probably only show up on a small part of the border. That is because it is looking for structures & textures it can use in other areas to blend into the transparent parts.

It may help to study the Inpainting Wikipedia article to get a little better understanding of the process.

Also, pease note that the method I suggested is just to verify that it works, not to get useable results. For that, you will probably have to use a variety of retouching techniques, each appropriate for the different parts of the image.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

In Windows 10 is the way I need to make it work by the steps I used.  Thanks goes to Alfred, RC-R, Pixel Girl and others who tried to help me make it work.  The Steps are listed and if anyone hears of an upgrade on the inpainting tool please advise me.

1.  I open up a Picture with an extension of .JPG

2.  Went to Document>Resize Canvas 

3.  On the anchor square unlock it & select the Center to increase all outside edges (mine increase from 960 to  1000 & 720 to 740

4.  Even thou it is a JPEG I found out it will not work unless you RASTERIZE IT as by right clicking the picture in the layers panel & apply

5.  I Chose the Rectangle Marquee and selected the top including the transparent layer and a small portion of the picture; it  you select too

small amount it probably will not work.

6.  Go to Edit>Fill & see popup box and on that selection click the inpainting selection>APPLY that selection; If it did not work I Rasterize

the layer again and reselect the section again and it worked.

7.  It seemed to work on the top fine, both sides and when I tried the bottom it did not work so I Rasterize it again to get it to work.

Thanks to all the replies to my topic and the forum is so great to have these replies to help resolve these problems.

I inserted 6 screenshots earlier and after inserting them I could not find out how to get back to the POST to send to the forum.   The POST like showing below disappeared and I tried clicking on the icons at top to see if one of them would work but could not find one.  If you know how please advise me.

DonS

7.  It seemed to work on the top fine, both sides and when I tried the bottom it did not work so I Rasterize it again to get it to work.

I think the "top, both sides and bottom" question is probably a bit of a red herring. What seems to make the most difference is whether the selected region is partially transparent or completely transparent, and whether or not the neighbouring pixels are transparent.

Instead of making a rectangular selection after resizing the canvas and rasterizing the result, try using the Flood Select Tool 'magic wand' to select the entire transparent border. If you then choose 'Edit > Fill... > Inpainting', you should find that the selected region is completely filled; compare that with the result you get if you grow or shrink the selection by a few pixels before the inpainting step.

Alfred spacer.png

I did as suggest and the first time using the magic wand to select the entire transparent border and then Edit>Fill>Inpainting it did wonderfully

on the right side and bottom; however on the top and left side even thou it was selected it did not do anything.  I tried the flood tool and it did not match in pixel colors.  Than you again.

Don S

I think the "top, both sides and bottom" question is probably a bit of a red herring. What seems to make the most difference is whether the selected region is partially transparent or completely transparent, and whether or not the neighbouring pixels are transparent.

Instead of making a rectangular selection after resizing ...

No, no! :ph34r:  It is (off course) neither "top, both or bottom", nor (how I see) the transparency and (also) nor rectangular vs. selection brush or magic wand.

It's always the image itself and his own composition, contrasts and characteristic attributes.

As regards transparency: The transparency "has been considered" in all my tests. My two following results are similar. Similar good. And, in my opinion, on the left side middle and bottom similar bad.

The source are the square at the centre. With and without transparency. Selection tool was magic wand:

post-45179-0-88413200-1490679197_thumb.jpg post-45179-0-94081000-1490679220_thumb.jpg

As regards position: The images above have their "dirty corners" on the left side, this one at the top right (painting within the selection, then invert selection and fill):

post-45179-0-71740500-1490680664_thumb.jpg

In both sketches are "dirty corners" depending on the composition and on the acute angle with strong contrast. In another images we will have another problems. My reason for the "dirty corner" in example1.jpg involves two steps. (further refinement as a intermediate step on the bottom would be required):

post-45179-0-10391700-1490682652_thumb.jpg post-45179-0-53803000-1490682670_thumb.jpg

It means: Different pictures need different selection-areas. We need a kind of intuition and the intuition need time and some tests. Btw. and ..

as regards rectangular: All my selections are rectangle :P

••• MacBook Pro | El Captain 10.11.6 |
••• Affinity Photo 1.6.6 | Affinity Designer 1.6.0
••• English 0.0.2 (Beta) | … I'm sorry!

It means: Different pictures need different selection-areas. We need a kind of intuition and the intuition need time and some tests.

I agree. Every image is different. What works fine for one may work very poorly for another.

Affinity Photo 

Different pictures need different selection-areas.

I agree. Every image is different. What works fine for one may work very poorly for another.

You two are quite right, of course. I shouldn't have posted conclusions based on testing which was rather brief and lacked a good range of samples.

Alfred spacer.png

I shouldn't have posted conclusions based on testing which was rather brief and lacked a good range of samples.

I made the same mistake when I was testing with the procedure I suggested in post #9. The sample file I used was included with an old version of Photoshop Elements. It was a photo of a rocky beach in the foreground with lots of clouds & a mountain range in the background, so there was a lot of structure & texture near the edges for the inpainting algorithm to work with. My 'border only' procedure produced almost perfect results.

But when I tried it with a jpeg derived from one of the screenshots DonS provided, it did poorly, working OK in some parts of the border, but in others it either did nothing or produced something that faded to transparent.

Affinity Photo 

I made the same mistake when I was testing with the procedure I suggested in post #9.

Ah, yes. Your procedure and mine were almost identical, except that you used Cmd-click (which, as you surmised, would be Ctrl-click on Windows) on the thumbnail in the Layers panel to make a selection that you inverted to leave only the transparent border selected, whereas I used the 'magic wand' to select the border directly.

Alfred spacer.png

• 3 months later...