You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Below is the link to a video using the inpainting tool where the picture canvas size increase and then you take part of the picture and draw on the transparent part and the steps were to Edit>Fill>inpainting>apply which will fill transparent with the part that you included in the selection matching the color overlapping to fill in the transparent area.  I have tried numerous times to follow the video and when I follow them the transparent area does not fill in.  It would be so nice if I could

learn the correct way to do this but every time I try the transparent area does not pick up the selected part of the original picture to extend into the transparent layer.  I am working on the original layer and cannot see why this is not working?  By the way I increase the canvas size equally all the way around the picture and then tried using the inpainting tool to fill in the transparent part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyfZHa8E0Xg

Don S

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Don. :)

The Inpainting Brush Tool will only work on a pixel layer. If it says '(Image)' against the selected layer in the Layers panel, you need to right-click it and choose 'Rasterize...' to change the displayed layer type to '(Pixel)'.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Please forgive me for being such a pest but I would like for the inpainting tool to work.  Here are the steps when I open up a picture—

1.     Open up picture in layers panel it says BACKGROUND (PIXEL) SHOWING LOCKED

2.    Document>resize Canvas>making transparent all the way around with about 1 inch border

3.    Go to Edit>Rectangle and make a selection covering all the transparent & part of the sky to transfer into the transparent

4.    Go to Edit>Inpaint (use to get popup box but is not showing; however it use to show every time) (How can I get it back to popup)

5.    Progressive bar goes across and nothing happen in the transparent area and tried to  do it again with same results.

6.    Even started over and tried rasterizing the pixel layer; the popup does not come up anymore showing selections of inpainting, History

7.    And several other I cannot see now?  I don’t know why it does not popup when you click on the inpainting tool?

Also once on the popup in inpainting I click on the History and it worked but tried it later and it did not work

@DonS

After step 2 (resize canvas) then rasterise the layer and it should work for you from then onwards

PS To get the popup box in step 4 use Edit > Fill and select the inpainting option there

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I have tried several times as suggested to Resize canvas, then rasterise the layer (still just one layer) and then proceed with

rectangle including part of picture and rest transparent then applying and nothing appears in the transparent part.  I tried all sides trying

to get it work and when applying History instead of inpainitng it works only a couple of times to fill in the transparent  part matching the

other selected part of the picture.

I have tried even adding a pixel layer and working on it with no results.

Thanks for your replies and will keep on trying....don't know what else to do.

Don S

There are two kinds of inpainting. One is a command and the other is a tool.

The inpainting command accessed via the Edit menu will only work if you have made a selection on a pixel layer. It will use information from the surrounding area to fill the selected area automatically.

The Inpainting Brush Tool paints the area under the cursor, again working only on a pixel layer and using information from the surrounding area. If you've added a new pixel layer above the layer containing the image, you need to check the option 'Current layer and below' on the Context toolbar.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks for your replies and will keep on trying....don't know what else to do.

Don S

Upload a video of what you are doing.

It works fine for me as long as I rasterise the layer after resizing the canvas, otherwise it does not work and I get what you have described.

PS are you on Windows or Mac ( I am testing on Windows 8.0 )

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Will it be possible to know when they repair the inpainting tool as it consistanly does not work with all the suggestion I have tried.  I sent a 6 or 7 page screen shop doing each step and the results are as shown in the screenshots.  Sometime instead of using the inpainting tool on the fill I used Hostory and it work once or twice like the inpainting tool.  Hopefully the screenshots I sent in will be replied with the steps to correct the issue.

DonS

With the exception of needing to rasterize the layer, there is nothing to repair. You just have to make sure you have selected an appropriate area to use the Edit menu > Inpaint command or the Edit > Fill > Inpainting one.

Try this:

1. Resize the canvas as in your step 2 above.

2. Select the pixel image layer & rasterize it as carl123 suggested.

3. Do not add a rectangle. Instead, CMD click (Mac) or Control click (Windows?) on the thumbnail of the pixel layer in the Layers panel. (This will select all the pixels in the layer but not the transparent border.)

4. From the Select menu choose "Invert Pixel Selection." (Only the transparent border should be selected.)

5. Now try either the Edit menu > Inpaint command or the Edit > Fill > Inpainting one.

There are several variations of this method that will work, but the important part is to select the area you want to be inpainted before using either of these two Edit menu commands. You do not need to add any other layers, but you must make sure the pixel layer is selected for these commands to do anything.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi, after step 2 don't you have to create a new raster layer (which will be the size of the canvas, I usually fill this with white so I can see it) merge with the existing background layer, then paint on it ?

If not I'd have thought youl'd be trying to paint on the canvas not a layer

appologies if I'm misunderstanding.

Hi, after step 2 don't you have to create a new raster layer (which will be the size of the canvas, I usually fill this with white so I can see it) merge with the existing background layer, then paint on it ?

All I can say for sure is on the Mac version it is not necessary to create a new layer. The inpainting is applied to the pixel layer, which is as big as the canvas even though after resizing (& rasterizing) it, it has transparent sections. A selection is necessary to restrict the inpainting to less than the entire layer -- otherwise nothing will happen.

That said, inpainting does not work very well if the selected area is too large. Like with the Inpainting Brush tool, all it can do is sample from nearby areas, so it is asking a lot if it is trying to fill very large areas with anything resembling the sampled area.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi R C-R, interesting I'll need to try this when I get home. I'm sure any existing layers don't automatically expand in the AP win ver but there is plenty of room for me to be talking rubbish here or I've been doing something wrong!! 

Regards

It may be that the rasterize step is necessary for the pixel layer to expand to the canvas size ... or maybe I am the one talking rubbish.

Affinity Photo 

Below is the link to a video using the inpainting tool where the picture canvas size increase and then you take part of the picture and draw on the transparent part and the steps were to Edit>Fill>inpainting>apply which will fill transparent with the part that you included in the selection matching the color overlapping to fill in the transparent area.  I have tried numerous times to follow the video and when I follow them the transparent area does not fill in.  It would be so nice if I could

learn the correct way to do this but every time I try the transparent area does not pick up the selected part of the original picture to extend into the transparent layer.  I am working on the original layer and cannot see why this is not working?  By the way I increase the canvas size equally all the way around the picture and then tried using the inpainting tool to fill in the transparent part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyfZHa8E0Xg

Don S

works as expected on my end

just select the area

select the layer

select edit fill inpaint

done

My success with inpainting depends greatly on how large an area I try to apply it to. Small areas usually work very well, but the larger an area I start with, the less usable the results become.

Affinity Photo 

works as expected on my end

just select the area

select the layer

select edit fill inpaint

done

Not really on my MacBook! Then before I can click "done" (means "Apply") I see already this artwork on the border:

post-45179-0-36669800-1490369569_thumb.png

After "Apply" also.

(I think it's time for me to create a signature!

••• MacBook Pro | El Captain 10.11.6 |
••• Affinity Photo 1.6.6 | Affinity Designer 1.6.0
••• English 0.0.2 (Beta) | … I'm sorry!

It works on Windows here but I have to add the extra step of rasterising the layer after the canvas is resized

With the exception of needing to rasterize the layer, there is nothing to repair. You just have to make sure you have selected an appropriate area to use the Edit menu > Inpaint command or the Edit > Fill > Inpainting one.

Try this:

1. Resize the canvas as in your step 2 above.

2. Select the pixel image layer & rasterize it as carl123 suggested.

3. Do not add a rectangle. Instead, CMD click (Mac) or Control click (Windows?) on the thumbnail of the pixel layer in the Layers panel. (This will select all the pixels in the layer but not the transparent border.)

4. From the Select menu choose "Invert Pixel Selection." (Only the transparent border should be selected.)

5. Now try either the Edit menu > Inpaint command or the Edit > Fill > Inpainting one.

There are several variations of this method that will work, but the important part is to select the area you want to be inpainted before using either of these two Edit menu commands. You do not need to add any other layers, but you must make sure the pixel layer is selected for these commands to do anything.

Thanks for the reply.  I am new to affinity and the first thing is when I open all of my images they are jpg & I work from that single image?  I even tried adding a pixel layer.

I followed thru step 4 without any problem.  However once pixels were inverted, I could not use rectangle or other choices to select an area without it disappearing the inverted selected area.  I tried this before selecting inpaint and missing the boat from their.  One coment was to make a rasterize layer (I assumed this is the same layer you started out with and I choose Layers>Rasterize on the original layer.

Hope this is right.  I am using Windows 10.  Members have been so nice to help me try to solve this situation.  Don S

appologies if I'm misunderstanding.

I am not following you usually fill this with white so you can see it.  On the original layer do you to to Edit>Fill>White??? At that point

the image is completely covered up with white.  When I went to Edge>Merge Visible, still cannot see picture so I tried Edit>Merge Down

and see picture.  Then I went to rectangle and outline a small rectangle around the transparent and picture.  Then Edit>Fill>inpainting>Applied and nothing happen....just cannot find the right way to do it.  Maybe by comment you can figure where

I am going wrong.

DonS