You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export to EPS10 for stock vector sites

Hi,

I'm looking into submitting vectors to stock sites like shutterstock. One of their requirements is that the file is saved as AI8 or EPS10: (tip #1 here: https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/6-tips-to-follow-when-submitting-vectors-for-the-first-time)

My question is - what EPS version does AD export? I'm asking because apparently, using things like transparencies, gradients etc results in bitmapping with AI8, based on what's mentioned here:

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/bitmapping-101-troubleshooting-eps-files-in-illustrator:

"When exporting to EPS-8, you will most certainly get bitmapping if you use these effects and techniques:

1. Transparency 2. Opacity Masks 3. Radial Gradient 4. Linear Gradient, sometimes, not always, depends on opacity masks used, or if output Transparency setting is not 100% Vectors on the Raster/Vector Balance (in the EPS Options window, see below) 5. Drop Shadow 6. Gaussian or Radial Blur

When exporting to EPS-10, most of the problems encountered in outputting to EPS-8 are eliminated, except bitmapping will still occur with Drop Shadow and Gaussian or Radial Blur."

thanks.

just went through the search and came across this:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/9479-want-save-eps10-file-type-for-microstock-contributor/?hl=eps10

so it looks like eps10 can't really be exported to by anything other than AI? I don't have AI, so are there alternatives to doing things like transparencies and gradients in AD that won't rasterize? thanks.

Hi, I had the same issue. I just ended up buying illustrator and just use Affinity Designer to do my design work and export as PDF /SVG and then use illustrator to do the final EPS 10 /AI output for stock sites.  I'm about to start uploading to stock sites, so lets hope they get accepted or else I will need to learn illustrator and use it as my software for creating  stock images

Hi, I had the same issue. I just ended up buying illustrator and just use Affinity Designer to do my design work and export as PDF /SVG and then use illustrator to do the final EPS 10 /AI output for stock sites.  I'm about to start uploading to stock sites, so lets hope they get accepted or else I will need to learn illustrator and use it as my software for creating  stock images

wow...so you have to pay whatever AI charges per month ($20?) just for EPS exporting? I'm new to design and stock sites, so just learning to do this, but it seems like a lot of overhead just so we can deliver files that are accepted by stock sites. Looks like almost all stock sites need an EPS. by the way, when you export as EPS10 in AI, do the transparencies/gradients etc work ok? (i.e., not rasterize)

• Staff

... by the way, when you export as EPS10 in AI, do the transparencies/gradients etc work ok? (i.e., not rasterize)

Yes, they do work (are editable). EPS files generated by Illustrator have an AI file embedded as a comment that lets it load all the data from it as editable objects and discard the rest of EPS data. Since third-party apps cannot read/save this embedded AI file comment (because it's a proprietary/closed format) we have to rely on the official EPS specs to output the file which Illustrator ignores/rasterises when there's no embedded AI file.

wow...so you have to pay whatever AI charges per month ($20?) just for EPS exporting? I'm new to design and stock sites, so just learning to do this, but it seems like a lot of overhead just so we can deliver files that are accepted by stock sites. Looks like almost all stock sites need an EPS. by the way, when you export as EPS10 in AI, do the transparencies/gradients etc work ok? (i.e., not rasterize)

Yeah they do work, you just need to find the right format to export from Affinity Designer, I've found sometimes SVG works better and sometimes PDF and other times EPS - I'm not sure why... Then i just clean up layers, label them etc on Illustrator and then export via AI. It's a cost I think is worth paying for if you create a decent portfolio for stock sites, you should be able to get your money back eventually and a profit..