You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo - New Layer from Selection

Hi There,

In PS there is a function where you can 'create a new layer from selection'. Basically whatever was selected (only what was selected) would get copied/moved to a new layer. This was great for easy manipulation such as flipping images etc.

I can't see any way to do this in photo. Is this possible?

Thanks

Conrad

• Staff

Hi Conrad,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

After create your selection just do a copy/paste. The selection contents will be pasted in a new layer. Make sure the layer you are working with is a Pixel layer otherwise the whole layer will be pasted instead of just the selected area. If the layer you are working with is identified as an (Image) layer type - see the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel - right-click on it and select Rasterise... to convert it to a (Pixel) layer type. Only (Pixel) layers can be manipulated at a pixel level.

• 1 year later...

Having tried Photo today for the first time (come from years of experience of Photoshop) - one of the first things I tried was creating a layer from a selection. Copying pixels to a new layer is not what I need (as I would then need to remove those pixels from the layer underneath). Cut / Paste didn't remove the pixels, and place them on a new layer - which I thought was odd. I understand that I may need to learn how to do the same thing in Photo as I would in Photoshop, but when trying to perform a task takes a lot longer in Photo... well... that doesn't motivate me to use Photo.

• Staff

Hi Pixelshifters,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You are probably working with an Image layer - see the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layer's panel). Right-click the layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise to convert it to a pixel layer type. You should then be able to cut/paste as you'd expect.

Image layers are a "special" layer type that retains all the original image data - you can think of them as embedded images -. They are created when you use the Place Image Tool (in Affinity Designer and Publisher only), the File ▸ Place command or when you simply drag them from the Finder (Mac) or File Explorer (Windows) to the canvas of an opened document. They can be transformed globally (rotated, skewed etc) without losing quality but they cannot be edited/manipulated at a pixel level. For that they must be rasterised first. To do it right-click on them in the Layers panel and select Rasterise. They are then converted to a pixel layer type which you can then manipulate at a pixel level. Image layers are rasterised using the DPI value set in the Document Setup dialog.

• 1 year later...

I'm also coming to Affinity photo from years of experience with photoshop.

From photoshop, I've gotten used to seeing the thumbnail generated within the context of the image it was copied from.  Please see the screen capture below to see what I mean:

https://www.screencast.com/t/ydeWPTD9zR

Is there a way to change the default behavior in Affinity photo so that the thumbnails are generated like they are in Photoshop?

• 3 years later...

Thanks MEB for the advice on this.  Isolating objects from their background and saving them as new layers/objects is a large part of what I do in Photoshop (at least professionally).  I too am just beginning to check out Affinity Photo.  I think we have to accept that there will be new ways of doing things, and it will take time to get into a new routine, and develop new mental 'muscle' memories.  Try to remember how weird Photoshop felt when we all first tried it....

Peter Ramsden

St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada