You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo & Draw have come a long way in a short time, haven't opened PS in over 6 months.   :P

any-hoo, the question:

When it comes to bump map creation, I do not want to have to add Gimp to my workflow.

Gimp has built in tone map and bump map as well as plugin called Insane Bump. (any way to make that plugin work in Photo?)

for 3D images, Normal, AO, Specular, and Bump Map layers are used to map onto a surface for realistic effects.

In addition; a Displacement Map or Tonal Map for use in milling / CNC relief cutting, and laser engraving. 

It seems to me that these ends can be achieved with Affinity Designer / Photo, however; my lack of understanding of both  CNC and Affinity has me at a loss.  Any help?  

Hello Karl,

you could use the Height2Normals Xnormal photoshop plugin to turn images to normals inside of Affinity Photo but its a bit wonky.LjezRss.jpg

Where exactly in the CNC process do you need help?  

Without knowing further details, I would create SVG/EPS files probably in Affinity Designer and import them into Blender to make them ready for the milling process.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

looking further into CNCing,

The Blender Cam addon is limited to 3 axes and you have to make sure it works with the CNC mill you are going to use.

To my knowledge, Normal, AO and Specular are probably not useful for the CNC process.

you would only want to use  texture wise the heightmaps and the displacement modifier within Blender to turn images to real meshes.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

looking further into CNCing,

The Blender Cam addon is limited to 3 axes and you have to make sure it works with the CNC mill you are going to use.

To my knowledge, Normal, AO and Specular are probably not useful for the CNC process.

you would only want to use  texture wise the heightmaps and the displacement modifier within Blender to turn images to real meshes.

yes, thank you.

I am trying to do much at the same time.  some for textures in Blender, some for my "further education" into CAN/CAM,  I have a tiny desktop CNC/Laser . that I am trying to learn all the little bits that make up the steps to make everything work.

along with Blender, Photo, Designer, and all this cad stuff, I have to be careful that my head doesnt explode....