You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making black completely black

Hi ~ This has probably been covered somewhere but I've spent the better part of the day trying to figure out how to change my black velvet to completely black. It has lint, etc that shows up and I thought there might be a simple way to convert it to a solid black.

Instructions would be great or if you already have a video covering the technique for doing this, that would work too.

I'll upload a pic so what I am trying to do can be seen.

Thank you for any help!

qsquzn.jpg

I take it that isn't the whole picture so it might not because simple as this but in this case I'd use the lasso tool, pick points below the track, then four more out with the image to completed the selection then either paint or fill the selection.

There is also a colour replace tool that might work well in this case, I'm not on my computer to try right now to give details

Regards

Edit: or! How about select colour (the black velvet) with around a 1% - 5% tolerance, invert selection and paint out the lint

There are several ways to get rid of lint ...

• Use the healing brush or remove blemishes tool and paint over those
  • Use the clone tool and clone & stamp over those white parts
  • Use the color picker to setup the black and paint over with a brush those lint

Generally take a look over the Affinity Photo Video Tutorials to get an idea how to do several things!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

There is an Affinity Photo tutorial for this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9hcrkHh7ak

Skill Level: Beginner, digital photography, digital editing, lighting.

Equipment: Consumer grade. Sony Nex5n, Nikon D5100, (16MP sony sensors)

Paid Software: Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Lightroom4

Free Software: NIK collection, Sony CaptureOne9, Cyberlink PhotoDirector6, Hugin, ImageJ, MS Ice, Davinci Resolve

Computer: Win10 home, CPU Skylake I7-6700, GPU Saphire HD7850 1G, Plextor SSD

I played around with your image in the NIK Viveza plugin. I was able to use control points to select large dust specs and manipulate them to black. With a little more effort I think I could get rid of most of them. Viveza (I think) still has some issues running inside Affinity Photo but you might want to try it as well.

Skill Level: Beginner, digital photography, digital editing, lighting.

Equipment: Consumer grade. Sony Nex5n, Nikon D5100, (16MP sony sensors)

Paid Software: Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Lightroom4

Free Software: NIK collection, Sony CaptureOne9, Cyberlink PhotoDirector6, Hugin, ImageJ, MS Ice, Davinci Resolve

Computer: Win10 home, CPU Skylake I7-6700, GPU Saphire HD7850 1G, Plextor SSD

I take it that isn't the whole picture so it might not because simple as this but in this case I'd use the lasso tool, pick points below the track, then four more out with the image to completed the selection then either paint or fill the selection.

There is also a colour replace tool that might work well in this case, I'm not on my computer to try right now to give details

Regards

Edit: or! How about select colour (the black velvet) with around a 1% - 5% tolerance, invert selection and paint out the lint

Thank you Harrym. I gave the lasso tool a try and was able to fill the selection for a few times (I took small sections at a time) and then all of a sudden, the fill would work anymore. I have no idea why. I'll need to check how to replace colors, specifically black, but I was hunting for that option and never found anything helpful in the tutorials.

It is frustrating when I want to get something done and haven't a clue how to do it.

I'll keep trying though because I want to get a "simple" way figured out! :)

Hi A_B_C, HVDB, V_Kyr and rmar,

I ended up using the stamp tool which was time consuming but I got the results that I wanted. I didn't have much luck using a paint brush or the fill color feature because for some reason, I apparently didn't have the program set up to allow that action? I don't know..... I watched the suggested video about dust and scratches and gave it a try. The feature worked, sort of but the black wasn't black enough yet and the specks were still there so it was back to "stamping". That did work even if it was slow going.

Thank you everyone for replying. I think I'll like this application once I know how to put it to good use. It isn't easy to figure out and even with the tutorials, when something doesn't work as expected, there isn't any info about what the "user" should do (meaning me...).

The part I posted in my first query wasn't part of this picture but you can get the idea of how my stamping efforts turned out.

2d2b2gn.jpg

I played around with your image in the NIK Viveza plugin. I was able to use control points to select large dust specs and manipulate them to black. With a little more effort I think I could get rid of most of them. Viveza (I think) still has some issues running inside Affinity Photo but you might want to try it as well.

I missed this post. I do have NIK Viveza plugins and they do work within Affinity Photo. I'll have a look see at that idea and see if it is manageable. I appreciate your response!

Thank you very much! :)