You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Closed Curves With Vector Brush – Gap?

25 minutes ago, MEB said:

I've updated/bumped the report to bring it up to management/development attention. It's up to them to decide what issues and when should be fixed first. Thanks for understanding.

Das bleibt doch ein frommer Wunsch, denn der Fehler ist seit Ewigkeiten bekannt und würde Serif den beseitigen wollen, hätten Sie den seit Jahren beseitigen können. Dieser Fehler ist Serif einfach egal.

That remains a pious wish, because the bug has been known for ages and if Serif wanted to fix it, they could have fixed it years ago. Serif simply does not care about this bug.

52 minutes ago, MEB said:

I've updated/bumped the report to bring it up to management/development attention. It's up to them to decide what issues and when should be fixed first. Thanks for understanding.

It would really be great if there was a ranking/voting system for issues.  Many software companies have a mechanism by which their users can vote on issues.  It becomes much more clear which issues are of the greatest impact to users.  It is extremely frustrating that there are issues open for years and we have no idea if anybody even looks at them anymore.  People stop complaining because they give up which results in management/development not getting the feedback they need to prioritize.

• Staff

Hi @CM0, @SunRiseMoon
As was explained in the Roadmap thread we take in account users requests/feedback through the Feature Request & Suggestions area in the forums but we can't be tied to a voting system because certain features depend on other work/parts to be finished/rewritten or tweaked first or are tied to some other requirements/apps of the suite, or require certain bugs to be corrected first, or some design/research done, not to mention they have to be balanced with programers resources/time or other dev/commercial goals. We understand users would like to have some influence here and are working towards a better solution. Please bear with us.

1 minute ago, MEB said:

we can't be tied to a voting system because certain features depend on other work/parts to be finished/rewritten ...

That is not how a voting system is used in the software industry.  It is a feedback mechanism.  It is not a contractual obligation.  No company treats it as such.  Users are never given a guarantee that something voted highly will be completed.  Companies which utilize voting system are still 100% free to work on whatever they choose.

However, there is better communication both ways.

Wenn der Reifen eines Autos geplatzt ist sollte der Tausch des Reifens die höchste Priorität haben. Danach kann man daran denken, einen stärkeren Motor einzubauen.
Wie viele neue Versionen von Designer gibt es seit 2019? Alle haben weitere Features und Funktionen, doch ein so offensichtlicher Bug ist noch immer vorhanden.
Das ist für mich unverständlich.

When the tire of a car is blown out, the replacement of the tire should be the highest priority. After that you can think about installing a more powerful engine.
How many new versions of Designer are there since 2019? All of them have more features and functions, but such an obvious bug is still there.
This is incomprehensible to me.

• Staff

Hi @SunRiseMoon,
I'm not sure a tire blown out is the best analogy here. The brushes are working as they were initially designed (coded). They are not "failing to paint", they could do with some improvements for sure, namely when dealing with closed curves which could be better handled, but they aren't broken. The fix however may imply more than just a few lines of code - it may be necessary to rewrite parts of the brush engine to better cope with these improvements/changes which may itself be waiting for a full rewrite to implement full vector brush support or something else. I don't know, I'm just speculating here but my point is some things are not as simple as they may look at first sight. I understand your frustration but we are doing and have been doing the best we can as the time and resources permit.

11 minutes ago, MEB said:

In practise that doesn't differ much from the roadmap we had earlier as it sets false expectations based on the most voted features thus leading to the same issues.

It is not the same issue at all.  A roadmap is a high level plan, it doesn't address the issue of community input to priority.

Voting is not about high level roadmaps, it is more granular.  It is ranking the bugs and small features.  The issue you have now is the community has low confidence that it is worth our time to even give feedback.

The problem with customer expectations is not too much communication, but too little communication with long iterations.  Most of the software industry has moved on to Agile development more than a decade ago to address these specific problems.  The problem of no communication is far worse than the problem of responding timely to changing priorities and updates on progress.

• Staff

@CM0,
I believe you misunderstood me. I said in practise because it ends up leading to the same results. I'm not saying it's the same. With the roadmap users set wrong expectations based on misunderstanding its purpose, the same way a ranking will set false expectations based on the amount of votes a feature has. Most will simply assume the most voted features will come first and that's not true due to the reasons I stated above.
I know there's some ongoing internal talk to find a better system but I'm not the most suited person to disclose such plans/details.

41 minutes ago, MEB said:

The fix however may imply more than just a few lines of code

Mir ist klar, dass der Bug nicht mit ein paar Programmzeilen behoben werden kann. Ich gehe auch davon aus, dass der Entwurf leider missglückt ist. Doch  viele der seit Jahren schon verwendbaren Pinsel an einem geschlossenen Pfad kann man überhaupt nicht nutzen, weil das Öffnen des Pfads kein ansehnliches Ergebnis für diese Pinsel bringt. Ich habe früher schon einen Screenshot gezeigt.

Außerdem ist das "Skalieren mit dem Objekt" nicht möglich, da jedes einzelne Objekt manuell nachbearbeitet werden muss. Und das bei einem Vektor-Grafikprogramm. Eine Schande.

I realise that the bug cannot be fixed with a few lines of programming. I also assume that the design has unfortunately failed. But many of the brushes that have been usable for years on a closed curve cannot be used at all, because opening the curve does not produce a respectable result for these brushes. I have shown a screenshot earlier.

In addition, "scaling with the object" is not possible because each individual object has to be reworked manually. And that with a vector graphics programme. A shame.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello,

I just want to add me to the crowd that's pointing at this annoying bug. I just bought Affinity edges brushes to discover none of them works for squares or any closed shape as they should.

The brush tool definitely needs more love and features. I would love to see vector shape brushes as well - I dislike the png-workaround - pixel based brushes in a vector environment is just not the real thing.  

I reinstalled Illustrator for brush work now - actually hoped to got rid of AI for good - but real vector brushes offer so much more opportunities. So to fix this bug would not just be a fix - it can also be accompanied by a whole new bunch of brush features.

Just my two cents, thanks for reading.

• 7 months later...

Here we are in March 2024 and I am just coming into using Designer, V2. Same problem. That is what led me to this post. I have a few brushes that I imported from

somewhere, Dollar Store fine liners that say "Closed Curve brushes." these work. So I duplicated an outline brush and experimented with changing all the other properties

to replicate the effects. But, it didn't work. I am not a computer developer, not even close. Are we getting anywhere in this story of Close curve brushes?

Screen Shot 2024-03-06 at 10.18.59 PM.png