You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Simultaneously select nodes from different objects

Another invaluable feature from Illustrator (couldn't find how to do it in AD).

Often I need to move one object together with some of the nodes of another object. I.e. I want to scale a group of objects without distorting all objects.

Currently, as far as I know, in order to achieve this in AD, I'd have to manipulate each object individually. Would be great if AD would emulate this feature from Illustrator, as it's a huge time saver. 

Not sure if this is what you're after.

With the Node Tool active, select the objects you wish to manipulate with consecutive Shift-clicks. Now select the nodes you want to move, scale, etc. Currently AD has no vector lasso tool so you must do this with a combination of the marquis plus Shift-clicks on any desirable nodes outside of the marquis selection. You can now drag these selected points around or scale them via the W and H fields in the Transform panel. (See the tutorial section of the forum for how to scale.)

It appears, from my brief testing, that all objects must be on the same layer for this to work.

Thanks for your answers.

Following bpedit's steps, I can verify it works for objects made with the pen tool. But it doesn't seem to be possible to:

- select nodes from from standard shapes (rectangle, circle, star, etc.)

- direct select the nodes with one click - always need to select object first, then nodes.

@bpedit I did manage to select nodes from different objects placed inside different layer groups.

- Standard shapes must be converted to curves first (Layer -> Convert to Curves). Only then you can edit their nodes.

- This is by design. Currently you have to select the object you want to edit the nodes first.

I wonder what's the purpose of requiring the object to be converted to curves first. That makes the direct selection tool essentially work in the same way as the move tool. This is another occasion where multiple clicks are required to achieve a function (in this case, direct selection of standard shape nodes).

• Staff

Because those shapes are not regular closed paths. They are parametric. You can change several parameters (see context bar) to suit your needs. When you convert them to regular curves you no longer can edit those parameters. If you could edit their nodes directly you would break their construct geometry immediately (and the ability to customise the objects) as they would be automatically converted to "path" geometry.

I understand, it's a different approach from Illustrator.

Illustrator allows for setting parameters on creation time and then converts to curves. AD retains possibility to adjust parameters. I can see the value in both, and think it'd be great to adjust for both.

A simple option to "Convert standard shapes to curves after creating" would suit both styles of work. It's not more than a simple scripted operation.

@bpedit I did manage to select nodes from different objects placed inside different layer groups.

I see you can select multiple objects, in node mode, from the Layers panel. Is this what you did? I was hoping to make multiple layers active and then select the objects in the workspace but I can't get this to work.

Byrne

I see you can select multiple objects, in node mode, from the Layers panel. Is this what you did? I was hoping to make multiple layers active and then select the objects in the workspace but I can't get this to work.

Byrne

How it works for me

- I have 2 objects inside 2 separate layer groups.

- I CMD+SHIFT click on the object first then CMD+SHIFT click on the node for one object, then do the same for the other object in separate group

This works with or without 'Edit All Layers' being active.

Matt,  

umm. . . oh, yeah. Thanks!

Sergio, 

For some reason that's not working for me. No matter, the Edit All Layers functions is fine. I am, however, curious about use of Cmd-Shift though; I see no mention of it in the Help sections I've perused.

Thanks,

Byrne

Matt,  

umm. . . oh, yeah. Thanks!

Sergio, 

For some reason that's not working for me. No matter, the Edit All Layers functions is fine. I am, however, curious about use of Cmd-Shift though; I see no mention of it in the Help sections I've perused.

Thanks,

Byrne

CMD click > selects individual object/layer, even if inside a group

Shift click  > adds to existing object/layer selection

• 2 months later...

I've been using AD quite a lot lately and I got to say that, for this specific operation, it's just unnecessarily awkward having to first select the object(s) in order to be able to initiate node selection.

Direct node selection would be a huge time saver!