You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I can give a partial answer to the portion"So what is the effect of using the golden ratio..."

Humans tend to prefer images that can be broken Into simple proportions. Simple and borIng would be tiles all of the same size. A = B. A little more subtle would be B = 1/2 A. C = 1/2 B. More subtle, B = sqr root 2A. Golden section is still simple, but very subtle. A + B is to A as A is to B. This and other ratios are found frequently in natural forms, and a lot of art has been built with sizes & shapes.

In the example vid, there are a series of circles whose size is related to a simple golden ratio construction.

But after that, there isn't much related to golden section construction. The designer had in mind a whale silhouette, and formed it by using only arc made from circles. It is sort of harmonic, in that every portion of the outline is made from chords from the few basic circles. But there is no clear rule for the construction.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

This is how the A0 paper system is laid out...One large piece of paper, in portrait mode, cut in two half way down along its waistline as it were.

The cut page is now rotated 90 degrees left or right and cut again in the same way.  Repeat this and all the little pieces will have the same proportions.

A0 uses a ratio of 50:50 nice balanced and very symmetrical. Old TV sets had almost square shaped screens (4:3).

The golden ratio uses Fibonacci numbers instead, giving us a ratio of 1:168. New TV sets use rectangular shaped screens (16:9).

Which do you think is nicer...?

So the effect is more pleasing to the eye. Why? Because that is replicated in the natural and design world.

So think of the rectangles and circles produce with the this template as pastry cutters. Each one is the same shape as the rest. Only the size differs and if you lined them up, with the biggest on the left...then you would end up with a curved but jagged ramp.

HTH 

peter

post-705-0-38741300-1490057019_thumb.jpg

post-705-0-98134800-1490057056_thumb.gif

post-705-0-84231400-1490057070_thumb.jpg

post-705-0-87159200-1490057090.jpeg

post-705-0-77827800-1490057278_thumb.jpg

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

A0 uses a ratio of 50:50 nice balanced and very symmetrical. Old TV sets had almost square shaped screens (4:3).

The golden ratio uses Fibonacci numbers instead, giving us a ratio of 1:168. New TV sets use rectangular shaped screens (16:9).

Finger trouble, Peter? The ratio for A-series paper sizes is 1:√2 (or approximately 1:1.414) and the Fibonacci ratio is 1:1.618 (cf. the HDTV ratio of 16:9, which works out at 1:1.778). An A0 sheet of paper is 1189 mm × 841 mm, giving it an area of one square metre.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Finger trouble, Peter? The ratio for A-series paper sizes is 1:√2 (or approximately 1:1.414) and the Fibonacci ratio is 1:1.618 (cf. the HDTV ratio of 16:9, which works out at 1:1.778). An A0 sheet of paper is 1189 mm × 841 mm, giving it an area of one square metre.

I have to admit that maths (with an s on the end) is not my strong point. However, I do hope that johnd finds things easier to grasp now.

Yup...it was late.

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

This is how the A0 paper system is laid out...One large piece of paper, in portrait mode, cut in two half way down along its waistline as it were.

The cut page is now rotated 90 degrees left or right and cut again in the same way.  Repeat this and all the little pieces will have the same proportions.

Which do you think is nicer...?

So the effect is more pleasing to the eye. Why? Because that is replicated in the natural and design world.

So think of the rectangles and circles produce with the this template as pastry cutters. Each one is the same shape as the rest. Only the size differs and if you lined them up, with the biggest on the left...then you would end up with a curved but jagged ramp.

HTH 

peter

to me theses pictures mostly look like randomly drawn circles without much relation to golden ratios 

could be my lack of understanding but their position and size does not really match, just pick the pink box on the apple logo and the green circles, does not match up at all as far as I can see lol  :D  :P

or the twitter one, there is no ratio at all  :ph34r:

could be the size of the circles but could just as well be the surface-volume or circumference ....this just seems like designers wanting to introduce pseudo science to impress (or confuse) others 

I just find it amusing (until I may notice that it was actually my fault  :P  :D )

• 1 month later...

I found a video about the golden ratio in logo design on youtube. So what is the effect of using the golden ratio in the logo design? and how can I imagine the whale when using the circles? it's to difficult  :(

The "in logo design" portion of your comment caught my attention. Trained in architecture and mathematics, it seems the Golden Ratio is often in what I read or see. However, in marketing (a portion of which is logo representation) a recent trend has been to break the "rules" to get more notice. In other words, offset, non-golden, off-color, while staying true to the message of the company. Take it far enough and it is fingernails on a chalkboard screech, so there is a range of discomfort and the designer decides how far to break the rules to gain notice. Conclusion: the Golden Ratio is sometimes purposefully avoided.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

The golden ratio is particularly significant on Ax paper sizes. Here's why.

Cut a square off one end of a piece of A4 paper. You can do this by folding down one corner to the opposite edge, so one short side lies directly along a long side. Snip off the single layer at the end.

Now do this again with the piece you have snipped off, removing a square from this.

The piece of paper you have left will have sides in the same ratio as the original A4 page. So you can repeat this process again, and again. If you don't want to snip, you can just draw lines to show the squares, but there's something satisfying about cutting up bits of paper.

Furthermore, you can approximate a golden spiral by drawing quadrants in the squares you have cut off.

The psychology of 'ooh that's nice' lies in the unconscious identification of squares, which are regular shapes. The mind likes regular shapes and ratios that are associated with this, so it likes the golden thing.

Ok, so this is a personal observation rather than an empirically proven fact. But I think I can claim some knowledge of psychology and anyway, it makes a great pet theory.

(A bit of proof: Divide up rectangles of any other ratio into golden sections. I think you'll find they are not as nice. Conclusion: Only use golden ratios when you have an Ax-shaped photograph).

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.