You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not sure what or if you mean something else here, but in case you mean the to be expected file size for a document, that's shown during save or export on those panels.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

A few things to keep in mind about this:

• There is no file size for a document until it is saved.

• As with most other graphic apps, Affinity has a 'native' file format that may include a lot more data than the pixel map of any rasterized (bitmap) layer(s) it may contain.

• The native file format can change file size on each save, not just because items are added, edited, or removed from the document between saves but also because some data like mipmaps, snapshots, or history may be added or deleted. Much of this is not under user control.

• Each export format supported by the Affinity apps has multiple options that can greatly influence exported file size.

• In Affinity Photo but not in Affinity Designer selecting the View tool (looks like a hand) will show the pixel & nominal megapixel ("MP") dimensions of a raster image document in the Context toolbar.

• Affinity Photo only has an EXIF Studio panel that can display (but not edit) all the EXIF metadata of a raster image document.

• Likewise Affinity Photo only has an "Info" Studio panel that will display 'memory pressure' -- a measure of how much data the app needs to keep in memory (RAM) to work with the current document load.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

If your “bitmap file” has no EXIF metadata you don’t get much information in that AP panel. With the properties in the Context Toolbar it is possible to estimate the file size of your placed “bitmap file”.

• Affinity Photo only has an EXIF Studio panel that can display (but not edit) all the EXIF metadata of a raster image document.

With the properties in the Context Toolbar it is possible to estimate the file size of your placed “bitmap file”.

Only if you are happy with a very rough estimate. The file may contain compressed raster image data (making it smaller) & various other format or application specific data (making it larger).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Only if you are happy with a very rough estimate. The file may contain compressed raster image data (making it smaller) & various other format or application specific data (making it larger).

We know: Some are better and some are much better in estimating … Affinity apps are “delivered for professionals”. If somebody doesn’t check the imported files but needs some properties, he is probably not a professional.

I don't think anybody needs to be a professional to notice that the properties of a raster image like its pixel dimensions are an unreliable indicator of file size, or to understand why. For instance, an image with a lot of fine detail will not be as compressible as one with a lot of areas of the same color.

If you want a reliable indication of file size, save the document & check how many bytes it uses with something like Finder or the Windows equivalent.

Affinity Photo 

“Document properties” is not only about the file size.

True, but earlier you wrote

With the properties in the Context Toolbar it is possible to estimate the file size of your placed “bitmap file”.

That is what I was commenting on.

Affinity Photo 

Oval, I am pretty sure I know what I was commenting on.  :lol:

Affinity Photo 

Perhaps now.

If by "now" you mean as soon as you made the comment I commented on (which I quoted in post #6), then yes I am sure I commented on the comment I commented on.

Any comments?  :lol:

Affinity Photo