You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how do I modify channels freely

In photoshop I can modify channels directly. For example, I duplicate a channel then modify it with curve, level or even the brush. Then I load the modified channel as selection.

In Affinity Photo, how do I modify channels freely as I do in photoshop and load it as selection?

Check this out:

Interesting video. Thank you.

Seabirdr, you might also want to watch this video:

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

In Affinity Photo, how do I modify channels freely as I do in photoshop and load it as selection?

Hi seabirdr,

you might also look at this video:

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hello seabirdr.

Currently there is no easy way to do what you ask... (At least that I know off)

All three videos are interesting but it's not what he asked....

It would be great if we could do exactly what seabirdrs ask.  Maybe in a future (not so distant?) update.

I think this is the only thing missing from Photoshop that I may miss. Luckily it's not a deal breaker for me right now.

In photoshop I can modify channels directly. For example, I duplicate a channel then modify it with curve, level or even the brush. Then I load the modified channel as selection.

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

... For example, I duplicate a channel then modify it with curve, level or even the brush. Then I load the modified channel as selection.

If you want to view the above video's about 'Channels' full screen, you can see them all by clicking HERE.  

I think the video you're looking for is this one:

Affinity Photo - Channels: Creating/Storing Selections

Thank you very much for the link Sima.

It is very helpful. This video is the closest to what we want.

Still a couple of extra steps compared to Photohop's way of creating complex selections using an Alpha Channel as a starting point. Not perfect but I guess this is what we have for now in Affinity Photo, and the final result is the same ( just tried a couple of exercises).

Hopefully in a future version we can directly paint and manipulate channels as if they were grey scale images. Much more versatile.

I think the video you're looking for is this one:

Affinity Photo - Channels: Creating/Storing Selections

post-9627-0-03808700-1490298573_thumb.jpg

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

• 2 weeks later...

Verysame, Dominik, Sima, Velarde, thank you very much for your attention and help.

The videos you've provided is very helpful. Especially, as Velarde said, the video Sima refered is very close to what I want.

• 2 years later...

It doesn't seem the last vimeo link works anymore. 

Anyone know where to find it?  Or does this mean, those 3 original vids are the only way to do it currently.

It's been a while since this issue was mentioned.  Might there be a new, more efficient (PS-like) way to channel pack now?

10 hours ago, Kuso77 said:

Anyone know where to find it?  Or does this mean, those 3 original vids are the only way to do it currently.

I think you want this one: http://player.vimeo.com/video/155542288/

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 hours ago, Kuso77 said:

Anyone know where to find it? 

FWIW, the (now "LEGACY") Official Affinity Photo (Desktop) Video Tutorials page has (mostly) been updated with working links. I added a browser bookmark to it to make it easier to find. You might want to do the same.

Just keep in mind that some of the old video tutorials have been superseded by new ones, but many are still relevant & cover topics the new ones do not (yet) cover.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...