• Announcements

• Patrick Connor

Forum Upgrade   07/12/2017

Welcome to the upgraded Affinity Forums. This change will allow us to add more features and block spam better. If you have any problems using these forums as a result of the upgrade, please post in the the similarly named News forum thread.
seabirdr

how do I modify channels freely

8 posts in this topic

In photoshop I can modify channels directly. For example, I duplicate a channel then modify it with curve, level or even the brush. Then I load the modified channel as selection.

In Affinity Photo, how do I modify channels freely as I do in photoshop and load it as selection?

Check this out:

Interesting video. Thank you.

Seabirdr, you might also want to watch this video:

d.

Affinity Designer 1.5.3.69 (beta 1.6.0.76) - Affinity Photo 1.5.2.69 (beta 1.6.0.76) - Windows 10 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

In Affinity Photo, how do I modify channels freely as I do in photoshop and load it as selection?

Hi seabirdr,

you might also look at this video:

d.

Affinity Designer 1.5.3.69 (beta 1.6.0.76) - Affinity Photo 1.5.2.69 (beta 1.6.0.76) - Windows 10 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

Hello seabirdr.

Currently there is no easy way to do what you ask... (At least that I know off)

All three videos are interesting but it's not what he asked....

It would be great if we could do exactly what seabirdrs ask.  Maybe in a future (not so distant?) update.

I think this is the only thing missing from Photoshop that I may miss. Luckily it's not a deal breaker for me right now.

In photoshop I can modify channels directly. For example, I duplicate a channel then modify it with curve, level or even the brush. Then I load the modified channel as selection.

Wosven likes this

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

... For example, I duplicate a channel then modify it with curve, level or even the brush. Then I load the modified channel as selection.

If you want to view the above video's about 'Channels' full screen, you can see them all by clicking HERE.  

I think the video you're looking for is this one:

Affinity Photo - Channels: Creating/Storing Selections

Alfred likes this

Thank you very much for the link Sima.

It is very helpful. This video is the closest to what we want.

Still a couple of extra steps compared to Photohop's way of creating complex selections using an Alpha Channel as a starting point. Not perfect but I guess this is what we have for now in Affinity Photo, and the final result is the same ( just tried a couple of exercises).

Hopefully in a future version we can directly paint and manipulate channels as if they were grey scale images. Much more versatile.

I think the video you're looking for is this one:

Affinity Photo - Channels: Creating/Storing Selections

post-9627-0-03808700-1490298573_thumb.jpg

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Verysame, Dominik, Sima, Velarde, thank you very much for your attention and help.

The videos you've provided is very helpful. Especially, as Velarde said, the video Sima refered is very close to what I want.