You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Folks

I'm just following the For Beginners Too tutorial. In creating a compound shape I seem to be getting different behaviour to that described in the tutorial.

The tutorial (from 1'13") describes non-destructively combining two shapes by selecting them and using the toolbar 'Add' whilst holding down the <Alt> key. When I do this, the resultant outline is subtly different from the combination of the two shapes. Attached are

1) The 'before' screenshot;

post-18174-0-82035800-1489845124_thumb.png

2) The 'after' screenshot using <Alt> + 'Add'.

post-18174-0-50265800-1489845180_thumb.png

3) Shows the Curve selected after performing 2), showing an excluded area within the outline.

post-18174-0-66484600-1489845213_thumb.png

4) Shows the correct 'after' screenshot using a destructive 'Add'.

post-18174-0-71397900-1489845245_thumb.png

Can anyone explain why this non-destructive 'Add' isn't working as expected?

Thanks

I think you're describing a known issue which occurs when you perform a compound 'Add' with shapes containing Smart nodes. If you select both of the shapes with the Node Tool, press Ctrl+A on Windows (or Cmd+A on a Mac) to select all of the nodes and then press the 'Convert to Smooth' button in the Convert section of the Context toolbar, you should find that the shapes add correctly.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Many thanks Alfred; that's sorted it.

You're welcome, marmite. Thanks for the feedback!

Is there a public log of known issues like this?

Not that I know of: I just happen to have seen a few reports of that particular bug. I suspect that the developers wouldn't welcome an ever-growing, publicly viewable list of all the bugs that haven't been fixed yet. :ph34r:

Alfred spacer.png

Not that I know of: I just happen to have seen a few reports of that particular bug. I suspect that the developers wouldn't welcome an ever-growing, publicly viewable list of all the bugs that haven't been fixed yet. :ph34r:

Oh, are there that many  :D?  Thought there might be a list of significant issues ... maybe there are just too many little ones. AD should be getting more more of a mature product by now ... bug count should be going down!

Thanks again

AD should be getting more more of a mature product by now ... bug count should be going down!

post-8358-0-05476700-1489864561_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png

• 3 years later...
On 3/18/2017 at 3:52 PM, marmite said:

Oh, are there that many  :D?  Thought there might be a list of significant issues ... maybe there are just too many little ones. AD should be getting more more of a mature product by now ... bug count should be going down!

Thanks again

Could someone tell Autodesk that 😄