You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flatten layers into single pixel layer: a simple walk through please?

Thanks in advance friends...

...when flattening into a single pixel layer, do I first need to rasterize the grouped layers? Not sure how to do this, i.e, I'm unclear on the steps involved, and the proper order in which to perform them. A brief walk-thru would be greatly appreciated.

FYI - I am wanting to manipulate the Flat image (bend, curve around a cylindrical surface such as a large barrel or a utility pole, alter perspective and/or viewing angle, stretch by pulling/moving nodes independently of each other, etc).

greateful for your help,

-Christo

• Staff

Hi Christo,

Do you really want to flatten to a single pixel layer? or just flatten a group of vector objects into a single object (related to your logo project)?

If you want to "flatten" several vector objects into a single one, use the boolean operations (menu Layer ▸ Geometry) to add, subtract, intersect etc vector objects so they become one. Just select the objects you want and use the menu command (or alternatively the icons in the main toolbar).

If you want to flatten to a single pixel layer (this will rasterise the vectors turning them into an "image" - you can't edit them as path later with vector tools if you do this) do the following:

If you are using Photo go to menu Document ▸ Flatten.

In Designer place all objects/layers inside a single layer then right-click on it in the Layers panel and select Rasterise....

You're a massive help Miguel.

You're intuition is correct, I would actually prefer to stay in vectors so I will go with your first suggestion here. I simply want to be able able to manipulate the flat image.

Thanks to R C-R, I now get how you created the 'C' in my logo using Boolean ops, resulting in that topmost single layer...that was the part of your response yesterday that wasn't fully clear to me (my lack of knowledge, no fault of your explanation).

You guys' guidance has provided me yet another 'a-ha' moment, and I appreciate it.

-Christo