You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ability to lock an Artboard in position

I love using a lot of artboards. Many times, when I try to select a series of elements on an artboard by pulling a box around them, I accidentally grab another artboard. Because AD requires pulling the box around the whole element instead of just a part, this happens quite often.

It 'd be good to have a position lock on artboards to prevent this. I already tried activating the lock on an artboard in the layers tab, but this makes the contained elements unselectable. 

• Staff

Hi wout,

It shouldn't be possible to grab an artboard on canvas dragging a selection marquee around it. There's only one way to select an artboard on canvas with the Move Tool - clicking on it's name on the top left of the artboard - unless the artboard is empty - in that case the artboard is selected. If you are picking one accidentally with objects over it can you please describe the steps you are performing? It may be a bug.

Regarding selecting elements without having to enclose them with the selection marquee, if you press ⌃(ctrl) while dragging the selection marquee Affinity will include all the objects touched by the selection marquee. There's also an option in Affinity Preferences, Tools section to enable this permanently: check Select object when intersect with selection marquee.

This is great news.

Wasn't aware of this preference. Will make working much more easier. I think this should be the default behavior.

By the way, I also use artboards in all my documents and find myself selecting the art boards by mistake Quite a Lot.

I see that if i click on any top part of the artboard it gets selected (not just the left corner with the name).

I'm thinking that maybe it would help to have another dedicated tool that only moves artboards instead of using the regular pointer (move tool) 

Regarding selecting elements without having to enclose them with the selection marquee, if you press ⌃(ctrl) while dragging the selection marquee Affinity will include all the objects touched by the selection marquee. There's also an option in Affinity Preferences, Tools section to enable this permanently: check Select object when intersect with selection marquee.

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

If you are picking one accidentally with objects over it can you please describe the steps you are performing? It may be a bug.

After looking more closely I noticed the whole header, the total height of the artboard's name all along the width of the artboard, acts as a drag handle. If it only would be the label, that would be ok. But I tend to start dragging my marquee right outside the artboard, most of the times from top left to bottom right. So in that case, it's really easy to accidentally grab the artboard.

Regarding selecting elements without having to enclose them with the selection marquee, if you press ⌃(ctrl) while dragging the selection marquee Affinity will include all the objects touched by the selection marquee. There's also an option in Affinity Preferences, Tools section to enable this permanently: check Select object when intersect with selection marquee.

Great tip, thanks! :) 

• 3 years later...
On 3/19/2017 at 1:25 PM, MEB said:

That only happens if the artboard is empty. As soon as you place an object in the artboard it's not selectable anymore on canvas, unless you click on the top where its name is located.

Just tried this and unfortunately I am still able to select other artboards even when there is an object on them.

I have also unchecked the box Select object when intersect with selection marquee. So I cannot select objects without fully surrounding them with the marque but am still able to select the artboards around them.
This is extremely frustrating.

Is there an option in the preferences to disable selecting artboards unless I am actively using the artboard tool?

(currently operating Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641)