You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

JPEG & TIFF Files Will Not Open In Nikon Capture NX-D

After processing JPEG and TIFF files in Affinity Photo for Windows, I can no longer open the files in Nikon Capture NX-D.  However, the same files will open in other programs such as Picture Window Pro, Windows Photo Viewer, & On One.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

NX-D is a raw processor, I use it for my .nef files. Never tried to open jpg's or tiff's with it

Skill Level: Beginner, digital photography, digital editing, lighting.

Equipment: Consumer grade. Sony Nex5n, Nikon D5100, (16MP sony sensors)

Paid Software: Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Lightroom4

Free Software: NIK collection, Sony CaptureOne9, Cyberlink PhotoDirector6, Hugin, ImageJ, MS Ice, Davinci Resolve

Computer: Win10 home, CPU Skylake I7-6700, GPU Saphire HD7850 1G, Plextor SSD

Nikon DSLRs usually can be setup to take images in NEF(RAW)/JPG/TIFF format and thus you can capture images internally in either of these formats. So the Nikon software also has to deal with these formats they support. Capture NX2, which I still use mostly, can also commonly open these formats (NEF, JPG, TIFF), so NX-D should too.

Haven't tested that since I don't use AP/NX-D here, but to momentary overcome with this for NX-D, the OP could open the JPG/TIFF files with IrfanView etc. on Win and then resave them, in order to see if the files afterwards might can be opened in NX-D then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Have tried resaving using PW Pro, which works fine with Capture NX-D.  But get the same results.  I should add, with JPEG files, the metadata works fine, but the photo is black.  Same results after resaving.  In the case of TIFFs, Capture NX-D will not open the file.  After resaving a TIFF file, It will open corrupted in Capture NX-D (horizontal colored lines).  I like using Capture NX-D for renaming files, creating index sheets, and printing. 

I had a similar problem with TIFFs saved from Topaz photoFXlab (pfxl).  I'm relatively new to using layers, started about 8 mos ago with pfxl, and immediately ran into a problem with saving TIFFs; they could not be viewed in neither Nikon View NX2 or FastStone (my wife's image viewer).

The problem disappeared when manually saving in pfxl, selecting NONE for compression and de-selecting "Save Alpha Channel"; I'm almost positive that the alpha channel was the problem; after de-selecting, the TIFFs would be viewable in both FastStone and VNX2.  There was no problem viewing the default TIFFs in IrfanView, XnView or the Windows photo app.  Converting the TIFFs to JPEG, or saving from photoFXlab direct to JPEG, resulted in viewable images.  From this, I deduced that there was some kind of a problem with the alpha channel relative to friendly relations with both FastStone & VNX2.  (FWIW, images edited with Zoner Photo Studio 18 and saved to TIFF did not have a problem.  I have no idea if that's relevant or not.)

I tested a newer Nikon program (NX-D?), but it didn't work any better.

This made me curious, so I just opened up Olympus OV3, and the TIFFs produced with Affinity Photo are NOT viewable by that program.  Curiouser and curiouser.

I just skimmed through Affinity's preferences and some of the other settings, but I don't see anything related to saving with or without the alpha channel, and my files saved to TIFF from Affinity are perfectly fine except for OV3, so I don't know if this means anything or not, but it may be worth looking into.

I was disappointed with pfxl, but eventually ended up with Affinity Photo, so I guess I need to thank Topaz for that! :)

Anyway this is all just anecdotal evidence, I probably know not whereof I speak, and maybe am only adding chaff to the discussion, but it is curious how some programs are compatible and others not.

No guarantees that any of the above is relevant, pertinent or coherent.

--George

Sounds like that there are still some problems then with the way AP does save/export TIFF files. In some older forum threads people reported similar problems with other image RAW processor software etc. related to TIFF files. - You should file in a bug report for this, so the Affinity dev team takes a look for this.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

• 1 year later...

I'm suffering the same problem RAW file processed in DxO Photolab, then edited as TIFF in Affinity, before being finally exported as a JPEG from DxO, then renders as a black image in View NX-I. I expect it's a combination of Nikon's usual dodgy programming and something unusual that Affinity is embedding into its output files.

• 1 year later...

I'm also having the same problem over a year later but have found a work around. Exporting the jpg without the ICC Profile (I have not tested any others apart from the document profile) seems to allow the jpg to be opened in View NX-i and Capture NX-d. I'm only in my demo period at the moment. Liking the software mostly but this still being an issue doesn't instill me with confidence. Maybe there is a more recent post covering this?

Hope this helps someone!

Steve

Edited by essjay88
typos

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So this problem is nicer as told here. I just bought an Nikon Supe Coolscan 5000 and started too scan my negatives. Most are Black/White negatives. So I treid too scan them as .nef. Capture NX 2 couldn't open then (Too large??? 141 mb) So scan  them as Tiff. These are also not axcepted by Capture NX 2. So I use only Nikon software (Nikon Scan 4.02 and Capture NX 2 2.4.7)  and still it doesn't work. Okay both programs are no longer supported by Nikon but normally (for colour pictures) both work optimal. Further the GUI (Grafic User Interface) of both programs are very user freindly and ergonomic. But it is a shame that they doesn't work for black and white pictures.

On 2/5/2020 at 10:00 PM, WilliamJR said:

Wrestled with same problem (2 days). Called Nikon Support. I was told that Capture NX-D only supports raw files (ie .nef, etc.), does not support .jpeg files. ViewNX-i can be used to edit .jpeg's

NX-D certainly does support editing JPEGs.

• 9 months later...

I didn't say Capture NX does not open Jpeg-files. Normaly it opens them. Only the ones created by the Nikon scanner software  can  not be opened. I found out that if ithe color depth is changed to 24 bit it works. (Does not work for Tiff/Jpeg with 32 bit color depth.)

Edited by Dutch-Pavlo

6 minutes ago, Dutch-Pavlo said:

I didn't say Capture NX does not open Jpeg-files. Normaly it opens them. ...

The other user who gave that statement was meant ...

On 2/5/2020 at 11:00 PM, WilliamJR said:

Wrestled with same problem (2 days). Called Nikon Support. I was told that Capture NX-D only supports raw files (ie .nef, etc.), does not support .jpeg files. ViewNX-i can be used to edit .jpeg's