You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

'morning guys/gals,

2 quick questions please (and thanks):

1) in the image below (thumbnail and file attached) you will see a logo image that was originally on a black rectangular background. I cropped the L and R sides to get rid of portions of the background so as to create an even-ish border. How can I get rid of the still-remaining blue lines outlining the original boundaries of said black rectangle background?

...and, 2) in order to distort/stretch this image (logo portion), don't I simply 'convert to curves' the grouped layers then click/drag whichever node I'd like to 'pull' on? My goal is to be able to manipulate the image by independently move nodes to create perspective changes in some cases, or make the image look curved in other cases (as if on a cylindrical surface such as a telephone pole, etc). Does the image/layers need to first be flattened.

Big thanks from a newbie!

-Christo

post-49603-0-97057500-1489751535_thumb.png

CVlogoBlueCropLines.afdesign

• Staff

Hi Christo,

The blueish line is coming from the the original black rectangle. You didn't get rid of it. You simply masked with with another rectangle. The blueish outline marks the boundaries of the masked rectangle - this is by design so you know where are its boundaries. This blue line is not printed. Only appears when you select that layer.

In any case there's no need to create a rectangle then mask it with another rectangle to have the first with the dimensions you want. Simply draw the first one with the correct dimensions from the start and don't use the mask. It simplifies the layer structure. To "fix" this drag the rectangle mask layer to above the original black rectangle (you must drag it from its thumbnail) in the Layers panel then select both and press Intersect (menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Intersect). I've attached a sample file where I've duplicated you whole layer structure and performed the steps described above.

CVlogoBlueCropLines_MEB_EDITED.afdesign

If you intend to manipulate the logo further it's advisable to simplify the layer structure as much as you can (or even flat it totally in case you don't need to keep the "internal" white used in the logo - thus making that parts transparent). For example you have a layer named C-break with a donut shape inside. What's the purpose of the layer there? why not placing the donut shape outside that layer and delete the it? Take a look at the attached file below. The first two bottom layers are the same from the previous document I posted above. Then I duplicated the EDITED layer and simplified it (EDIT & SIMPLIFIED).

Finally I duplicated the EDIT & SIMPLIFIED layer again and flattened it to only two objects (using boolean operations) - the white background in case you want to keep it and the black parts (that are now a single object).

CVlogoBlueCropLines_MEB_EDITED_2.afdesign

Many many thanks for taking the time to explain this process to me so thoroughly MEB.

Although I've been drawing/designing for many years, these last few months (bought AD and AP in Jan 2016) represent my first foray into digital design. I have a lot to learn, but have been extremely impressed with all the help I've received (such as yours) from the great folks on the AD/AP forums. This affirms just how correct I was in choosing these fine Serif Labs products instead of going the other direction with Adobe.

I very much appreciate these 'personalized tutorials' you created for me in your response. They have helped me to learn a great deal.

Sincere thanks MEB!

-Christo

MEB, thanks again for the vids you sent - I can't say I'm 100% on exactly how you did everything yet but I'm a LOT further along than before I studied them.

2 quick follow-up questions:

1) on the second file MEB (EDIT_2)...I would love to use the simplified topmost layer (white area transparent) but when I try to drag it into my Assets file it does BEHIND the panel and doesn't lock in as an Asset. Simple reason for this?

...and 2) when flattening do I first need to rasterize the grouped layers, the flatten? Not sure how to do this - wanting to manipulate the image (bend, add perspective, etc).

I know you must be busy, just answer when you can.

grateful for the help,

-Christo

Hi again, Christo!

1) From what I can tell, you have to drag a layer into an expanded category or subcategory for the drag method to work (the triangle to the left of the category name should be point down). The Using assets help topic says the cursor will change to show a plus icon but that does not happen for me. Instead, I see a blue vertical bar appear in the category indicating where the asset will be placed when dropped.

Alternately, on the Assets panel, click a subcategory's options menu and select Add from Selection. That seems to work whether or not the subcategory is expanded.

2) MEB's two layer version did not rasterize anything. He used boolean operations to create a "(Curves)" layer (note the plural) that combines 3 curves into one layer. (Select it & use the Divide operation to see the three curves.)

I do not know if this will help you visualize this process, but attached is a version of the logo reduced to four individual shapes.

CVlogo parts.afdesign

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

R C-R and MEB --- y'all are a tremendous resource for me, thanks. Will be able to apply the info in your responses shortly and am sure I'll benefit yet again.

Even though I purchased and use the AD hardback book for beginners, you guys on the Forums account for ~80% of my actual working knowledge of these great Apps.

Kudos!

-Christo

MEB, R C-R, et al...

My objective is to be able to stretch/curve/bend the logo pictured above that now consists of a single layer (accomplished thanks to the coaching of you fine folk).

I thought I had reached this point, now having a single layer vector image (with invisible background, btw).

I clicked on the Curve tool and could then see the nodes exposed. As I approached the top black 'cross-bar' portion of the outer square with my cursor, as expected I saw the '~' appear and began to drag up on the outermost edge of this top cross-bar. To my surprise, only the outer line (edge, if you will) was moving while the inner edge of this top bar remained stationary.

What step(s) did I miss in my effort to 'lock' this image into something that can be manipulated & distorted (shape-wise)? Trying not to be redundant but as examples, I'd to be able to 'lay' the onto a curved surface in some instances...and use it in its flat form to apply to other flat surfaces that are being presented/viewed at an angle, i.e., the perspective demands the image be manipulated to match.

Hope this makes sense - sorry for being so wordy.

Thanks as always.

-Christo

• Staff

Hi Christo,

What you are looking for is a vector based Perspective Tool and/or Mesh Warp Distortion Tool. They will pick you vector object as a whole and distort it using an auxiliary overlapping grid. Currently there tools are not available in Designer. The Mesh Warp distortion tool however is already on Designer's roadmap to be implemented during the 1.x cycle.

So currently to apply these type of transformations to your logo you must use Affinity Photo which have raster based Perspective and Mesh Warp Distortion Tools available (and also a Perspective Live Filter). Switch your document to Photo, select the logo layer, click on one of these tools depending on the type of distortion you want to apply and drag the nodes of the auxiliary grid as you see fit.