You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't read too much into it, it's just the terminology used that's funny.   :)

I think the 'Stuff' tool is likely the 'Add to Source Image Mask Tool' and 'Erase From Source Image Mask Tool' in the Panorama persona.  Although it would be better if the algorithm could handle stitching contrasting edges better, you may be able to improve the panorama by manually altering the edges of the panorama mask with these two brush tools.

Screenshot:

post-29590-0-94457900-1492426717_thumb.jpg

Even though the following video doesn't deal with your exact problem, you can see these tools in action here:

https://vimeo.com/161038267

Not very helpful Scandiavia in this context

I'm so, so sorry, I just thought the concept of a stuff-tool was funny to think about, not that you didn't know what the stuff tool is.

(I don't know either)

Please accept my apology! 

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Oh, yes. I was aware of that Tutorial but it didn't fit this particular scenario. I tried several times to avoid it. Apart from this though I have had some excellent panoramas from Affinity. Good guess though that this might be the elusive tool.

No offence taken Scandinavia! You are so right.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Attached a screenshot of a remake of the same panorama using the latest Beta. I didn't use the original file. Do the programmers know why this might occur? It seems related to contrast levels but occurs in a situation within one frame. There is no sign of anything similar in that frame.

Michael

post-33585-0-71592400-1494153325_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This morning I made some new panoramas. In both, the artefacts occur in a similar situation. This time the camera was set on manual exposure so that each frame was consistent. It seems to be a handling of higher contrasts in the screening. Otherwise these panoramas are near perfect.

post-33585-0-85445000-1495273453_thumb.jpg

post-33585-0-52401900-1495273466_thumb.jpg

post-33585-0-59168500-1495273516_thumb.jpg

They are too large.

But I have spent the whole morning experimenting and the attached screenshots show results. Fortunately after the earlier initial experience I ensured that the image where problems might occur covered that zone completely. This compromised focal length but enabled overlay painting to eliminate most of the problem. What is clearly revealed is that the peculiar shading is part of the final conversion from RAW. Screenshot Artefact 6 shows the overlaps and 7 the relict patch that avoided elimination.

What is also revealed is the poor levels control in the conversion. Illustration 6 shows a clear horizon for the brightly lit bay. In illustration 7 there is no horizon.

Hope this was helpful

Spain

Michael

post-33585-0-72147600-1495278760_thumb.jpg

post-33585-0-58238200-1495278800_thumb.jpg

post-33585-0-78515400-1495278813_thumb.jpg

post-33585-0-32369800-1495278846_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The new beta seems to have improved the panorama function considerably. It is perhaps as good as it can get, especially for an automated process. The excessive toning has been well corrected. White Andalus cortijos and clouds are no longer glared out. Nicely balanced. In the immediately preceding beta there were still hints of artefacts in the high contrast overlaps but in this I have so far experienced none. It is also successful at filling edge void. Very nice!

Oh dear! My enthusiasm should have been more careful. I returned to the original illustrated above and this is the result. However my comment about the rendering otherwise remains

post-33585-0-12558100-1497037276_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The balance of manipulation in the new beta is very much improved. The artefacts still occur on that particular example but in the new beta I was able to remove them easily using the mask painting tool. The problem arises partly through inadequate camera technique in that the exposure for a panorama is best set on manual from the brightest segment. AP then has an easier task of coping with contrasts, though why this particular form of artefact should arise remains a bit obscure other than that is is in the application of the gradient.

Michael

What most puzzles me about this is the dirty smudge. I had thought that gradient overlays shouldn't leave this kind of residue, in effect a colour overlay. It occurs only at the very last part of the procedure and remains in the new beta. You have been busy with other improvements!

• Staff

Hi ms.fuentecilla,

If you are still having issues with this can you please upload the two unstitched images where this issue occurs so we can check this here? Don't forget to add you forum's username (@ms.fuentecilla) to the zip/file's name. All files will be deleted after being checked. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hello I have been away on almost internet free Skye but there seems to be as yet no response to this. When I check in detail these artefacts seem to occur when high contrast meets certain angles in the image geometry. Might this suggest a conflict with the setting of the gradient transitions?

I have as yet not tried the most recent Beta.

Michael

• 2 months later...

Hello

I have encountered a new difficulty with the panoramas module in the last beta. The attached screenshot shows how it handles a full sequence where there is one overlap with only sea. It insists there are 2 separate panoramas, but there is an unbroken sequence of images, and then is unable to create a panorama from the two output TIFF files. Possible this is an insoluble one and has to be done manually but I thought you should be made aware.

Michael

APpanmistake.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I return to this using the new AP 6,1 and find there is no improvement. Does anyone yet know why the panorama module should do this? At one stage I also sent the component frames. I had anticipated this might have been resolved by now. It seems to occur where high contrast meets a certain angle in an image - not only this particular example. Somewhere there would seem to be an error in the gradient overlays used.

PanoramaArtefactsAP6,1.jpg