You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Community Development

Hey MEB and other Affinity Developers,

I'm a technical developer myself, for a video game company called Ubisoft. However I'm a huge fan and user of Affinity's products. I found myself wanting some additional shapes which currently don't exist in Affinity Photo and I was wondering if there was a way I could develop these and use them myself or even give them to you guys to implement into the application? I'd be more than glad to help out if possible. If at all possible, can I extend my local version with shapes I want?

Thanks

Hi, JokerMartini.

I am curious about what other shapes you would like to see in Affinity Photo (or Affinity Designer).

Personally, I would like to see a spiral tool added to the collection of 'smart' parametrically adjustable tools like the stars, polygon, etc. It would be really cool if it could produce all or most of the 2D spirals listed in the Wikipedia Spiral article, but I would settle for an Archimedean spiral tool. The spiral is one of the few shapes that is very difficult to create currently in Affinity, & I think a tool to create them would be useful for a lot of users.

The only other shape that I sometimes would like to create that is similarly hard to do in Affinity is the coil shape, like the electronic schematic symbol for an inductor or transformer winding, but I don't know if a tool for that would be useful for very many users. I guess more generally coils like that are members of the helix family of 3D shapes, projected onto two dimensions, so possibly the tool could be useful for creating screw thread shapes & the like.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7