You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

You can create as many new categories as you like, and you have a choice between copying or moving any brush to another category. Go to the Brushes tab menu (accessed via the 'hamburger' icon in the top right-hand corner) and choose the 'Create New Category...' option; name the new category 'Favorites' and go to a brush that you want to move; right-click your chosen brush and choose 'Move to Category... > Favorites'.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Oh, I understand now! Thanks for the clarification. I'm afraid I don't know of a way to do that.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

What would be the practical value in an alias-like function for this?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

What would be the practical value in an alias-like function for this?

To keep all the brushes in their respective categories, and the most used brushes in a Favorites category. If I am using frequently a specific brush from a specific artist, I would like to remember that it comes from his category. If I just put the brush in a new category, it disappears from the previous one. The only other way to do this is to duplicate the brush and put it in a custom category, but it would be easier to just right-click it and put it in a special Favorites Category.

If the brush gets added to a special Favorites Category, how would you know which 'parent' category it came from?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

If the brush gets added to a special Favorites Category, how would you know which 'parent' category it came from?

I could try to recognize it visually, at best. If the brush is here, it would be better than no brush at all. Ideally, it would be a lot better to have an indication of the folder it comes from in an Info button or the Edit pane (with an option to lock the original and duplicate it if we edit it).

• Staff

Is there a way to create a Favorites folder in the Brushes Pane, where we could put Brushes without having to duplicate it?

Hi Glyphs,

Currently no. You have to duplicate them. Placing the cursor over a brush preview shows a tooltip with the brushe's name so you can identify them. Fell free to create a feature request for this in the Feature Requests section if you feel it's important to you.

I could try to recognize it visually, at best. If the brush is here, it would be better than no brush at all.

But a duplicate would avoid the 'no brush at all' part, right? That would also avoid the need to lock the original, although I see that it would complicate updating the original if you wanted that to affect the favorite as well.

Maybe for now a workaround would be to use duplicates & rename them with a prefix or suffix to indicate which category (or artist or whatever) they came from? That might be easier than trying to identify them visually or resort to an info button....

Affinity Photo 

But a duplicate would avoid the 'no brush at all' part, right? That would also avoid the need to lock the original, although I see that it would complicate updating the original if you wanted that to affect the favorite as well.

Maybe for now a workaround would be to use duplicates & rename them with a prefix or suffix to indicate which category (or artist or whatever) they came from? That might be easier than trying to identify them visually or resort to an info button....

Yes, that's what I'm doing right now. A Favorite Category would simplify things.

• 3 years later...