You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] Mirror Tool

It couldn't be simpler. These icons on the main toolbar.

post-27616-0-82368400-1489628592.png

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Perhaps a solution:

1- Copy and paste the shape on itself.

2- Flip one of the shapes as bleduc suggested.

3- Adjust the alignment and the desired distance between the two shapes.

post-37692-0-33309700-1489678699_thumb.png

If you mean to have a divider to act as a mirror and mirror the objects in some form of symmetry, then I don't think there is a way to do that. But there is an alternative for when working with multiple shapes.

Select all the objects you want mirrored, and flip them vertically. Then click on the Rotation Center icon. Align the center point at the very middle "side" of your selection. Now rotate the selection while holding Shift to constrain it in 15 degree increments.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Perhaps I am not fully understanding the question... but if you want to create a mirrored, duplicate of an object, that remains editable (so that changing the original also updates the mirrored copy) then you can do so with Symbols.

1. Make the original object into a Symbol
  2. Drag a new instance of the Symbol onto the page
  3. Flip it (horizontally / vertically) and align so that the axis of reflection lies between the two Symbols

Now you have a live mirror, where changes are reflected across to the other side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdT6IgtAgBE

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

That does look very useful indeed, and that would be an excellent addition to Designer. It wouldn't hurt making that as a feature request.

• 1 month later...

How long should user wait for this feature?

It's one of the MUST HAVE features.

I'm so sorry, but i can't understand that it is not (like a lot of other ...)

Cheers

Now, 1 hour later – pain in the a**

It is so incredibly difficult to work quickly and 100% exactly. Especially when mirroring
I need to trace an anchor. In Illustrator 17 minutes, in Photoshop 21 minutes ...
In Affinity designer - I've been working on it for an hour ...

You can all say I'm too stupid. Ok, but why is it so fast with the other programs?

I really think to go back to the s**t club of adobe :-(

And btw. the text on path tool is the same adventure. I get all, but nothing like expected.
Over all to complicated

Have a break for today, my brain gets nervous

Die Now Live Later - KMFDM

• Staff

Hi Mr K,

Currently there's no Mirror Tool in Designer. The only way to get a similar result is using Symbols as @Aammppaa described. You can use them to create a "live mirror" (with one or more mirror faces) which may help in certain situations. For CAD use it may not be flexible enough for quick edits/creating objects. I'm moving this thread to the Feature Requests section.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fun fact: live symmetry tool (with one or many number of angles) is present in... 1995 Deluxe Paint for Amiga computer. I was kind of shocked to find it lately on Amiga emulator. And it works pretty damn well. In modern software its available in free Krita, in Paintstorm Studio, in Autodesk Sketchbook on my tablet an in variety of different types of software. Where its NOT available is Photoshop and Affinity Photo... Industry standard and industry standard wannabe (I hope it will be). Illustrator has it implemented in extra awkward way - instead of one click solution it needs setup like I am freaking trying to land a rocket on a flying comet. Frustrates the hell out of me. When I am working on quick concepts I am starting in Krita to block symmetric shapes. Then I go through another free software - Inkscape - to trace that concept there because... Well you know exactly why. And then I can finalize things in Affinity Designer. I know you guys cant work on everything. But understanding doesn't take my pain away ;) Life symmetry, knife tool, transforming selected groups of nodes, warping options for vectors - those are absolute must have to work comfortably without jumping between 3+ different programs. Rant mode off. Good luck devs.