You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Objects placed off the artboard?

Is there a way to show all objects that have been pulled off the artboard? I know I can do a select all to highlight them, but what about seeing them to know they are there even when they are not selected?

The anti slash works fine. Thanks. Oddly when I add artboards the canvas changes to a light grey and then what ever is placed on the canvas shows no matter what.

It is tricky for artboards. "Clip to Canvas" is greyed out & cannot be used in artboard mode. Items that are children of an artboard are shown clipped to the artboard if they are partially on & partially off the artboard, but if they are dragged completely off the artboard they are no longer children & are shown unclipped on the canvas, the same as objects created off of any artboard to begin with.

Also, Preferences > User Interface has separate settings for canvas Background Gray Level & Artboard Background Gray Level, so when you are in artboard mode it uses the latter setting.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

reglico,

You were close :) , it is "View/View Mode/ and uncheck "Clip to Canvas". 

Hokusai, thanks for the correction. :)  I would have done better to attach a screenshot as I usually do to palliate my bad English !!! :(

• 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, kjdesign said:

My "clip to canvas" option is greyed out so i cannot change it. It's set checked "on" but I am unable to view objects off my artboards.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @kjdesign. :)

As @R C-R said:

On 3/16/2017 at 12:14 AM, R C-R said:

It is tricky for artboards. "Clip to Canvas" is greyed out & cannot be used in artboard mode.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 years later...

Once in "artboard mode" (if you've resized using the artboard tool), you can no longer use "View Mode > Clip to Canvas" (the option is grey / unusable).

You'll have to delete all your artboards to see things outside of the canvas.

When deleting artboards, you get a dialog that allows you to keep your objects (phew) -- so just the artboard is deleted, and then you can use "View Mode > Clip to Canvas" again to see stuff outside the canvas.

Seems like after deleting artboard1 the canvas retains the dimensions of artboard1.

• Staff

Hi @im not bob,
Welcome to affinity Forums :)

19 hours ago, im not bob said:

You'll have to delete all your artboards to see things outside of the canvas.

This is not correct. You can still see object outside the artboard area as long as they are fully placed outside the artboard. Only objects that cross the boundaries of the artboard are not visible outside the artboard area (the area laying inside the artboard remains visible).

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2017 at 1:14 AM, R C-R said:

Also, Preferences > User Interface has separate settings for canvas Background Gray Level & Artboard Background Gray Level, so when you are in artboard mode it uses the latter setting.

Hello there! Do you know if there’s an Artboard Background Gray Level setting for iPad? Or it is just on desktop? I only see the Background one.

Edited by ArthurClaus
Mistake

50 minutes ago, ArthurClaus said:

Do you know if there’s an Artboard Background Gray Level setting for iPad?

AFAIK, there is only one for both.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7