oleka

Affinity Designer Crashing on launch

Hi I have Dffinity Photo and just bought Affinity Designer aswell for work purposes. But the designer app keeps crashing when i try to launch it.
​The strange this is that if i open a file in "Designer" it does NOT crash.

​The crash message i get is:
​An unhandled exception has occured and  the application cannot continue.
​The crash reporter wil be displayed after the application exits. Code: 0x80004003

​I am using a Surface pro 4 i5
​Windows 10

Hi oleka

This sounds like something we found a little while back, the welcome screen position relating to the rest of the app was causing a crash. This may explain why the crash does not occur when openig a file as the welcome screen does not appear. this should already be fixed for the next update, however in the meantime if you go to %appdata%/Affinity/Designer/1.0/Settings/ and delete Window.xml it should work fine for you when you next run up

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Thanks but this does not work, because the file is not there. The app also keeps crashing when i use restrictions in the app. 
When is the new update coming out? 

Hi Oleka,

It does sound as though the Welcome screen is causing the crash as Chris stated. We've had this with another user, I instructed them to modify an XML to turn the Welcome screen off when launching the app and that allowed them to work around the issue. Could you try my instructions here please:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/35449-affinity-designer-152/?p=179254

Thanks the program now works fine when launching. But still some of the unexpected crashes when using constrains does bother me. 
I aslo have had to reduce the amount of ram Affinity Photo is allowed to use to keep is from being more unstable. Allowing it to use all my 4gb of ram was not a good solution. but scaling it down to 2 or 1gb fixed the problem. Just something u might look into on future updates.

I have this problem too. I just purchased designer yesterday and i have not gotten it to start up yet. I dont thonk that i should have to do workarounds on a fresh install. I'm using an external ultrawide 2560x1080 Acer display. Maybe that resolution might trigger it somehow?

I am getting same error when launching my new updated version of Affinity 1.6. I just updated the software from 1.5 to 1.6 yesterday. The previous version was launching without any glitches. I have rebooted my computer and still problem persists. Thank you.

The easiest workaround i found is just to choose "open with Affinity" on any supported picture or document type.

Go to settings and enable "Open last document" works too

I just think that you should make an option to disable the welcome screen.. or even better .. find the glitch;)

5 hours ago, Natiknc1 said:

As promised, here is a picture of a crash report. Thank you for your input!

Thanks for the picture. It looks like the crash report hasn't uploaded yet. Can you take a look in the following folder for me, and attach the report to this thread?

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports

Hey, I just purchased this program after trying the trial version and have been having the same issue. Actually worse, because even after implementing another fix to paste the provided file, it would just crash when I tried to click on a menu or click on anything, for that matter.

Then I thought to myself, "Well, the trial version worked just fine, right?" So I jerry-rigged the solution Sean P posted (and thank you, that helped me get to the overall solution) and it seems to have worked so far (will only work if you've downloaded the trial before buying):

- Open File Explorer

- Type "%appdata%/Affinity/Designer/" into the browse bar

- Open the "1.0 (trial)" folder

- Open the Settings folder

- Copy every file (except the CrashReports.xml, you wouldn't really need that) in the folder

- Go back to the Designer folder and open the "1.0" folder (This is the full version)

- Open Settings folder

- Paste everything here

- Launch Affinity Designer and everything should work normally

I'm a bit of a novice, but I have a bit of troubleshooting experience. Keep in mind, I literally implemented this a few minutes ago, so I'm not sure how it will hold up over time. But it is no longer crashing for me and all my menus seem to be opening with no issues. Aside from the crashes, I really love how this program works so far! Hope I explained it well enough and that this helps everyone! =)

@MangaKeri

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. You seem to have got yours working but the rest of this reply is just in case your fix is only temporary. 

The Windows version 1.6.3 was released on Thursday and has been found to crash for users with Huion tablet drivers. If this describes your situation then sorry. 

There is a fix due early next week (releasing 1.6.4) 

In the meantime you could install the customer beta, which is identical to 1.6.3 but with the tablet issue fixed. You can find a link to the download in the first paragraph of the top (pinned) post at the top of the Affinity Photo Beta on Windows forum and Affinity Designer beta on Windows forum. 

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

@Patrick Connor

Thank you for your reply. In fact I am using a Huion tablet. That is unfortunate. I took a look at the linked post. It says it's best to not use it for "production use." In which case, would commissions count? Because I have a couple of commissions I needed a smoother vector app for. I was using Inkscape and have gotten halfway done, but I find the way that particular program is set up doesn't work well with the workflow I'm accustomed to. I've only used Affinity Designer for a short period of time, but it already feels very much like an extension of my body. =) (Did my profile picture in the trial version, yesterday) If that is the case, I'll continue to use this fix until the update comes out, since it'll happen before my trial runs out. (If the trial expiring would somehow break it, that is, not the most code-savvy, so not sure)

Thanks again for your response and I love this program. Looking forward to more from it! =D

"Not for production" is normally a warning on how untested it is (so take care editing precious files), not what you may do with it. 

The "not for production" message for 1.6.4.104 (so this specific case/build)  is not to be worried about because the software is identical to the release build with the exception of the Huion issue.

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Same issue - downloaded Affinity trial today (I wanted to test it out), and got this crash when starting Affinity - and nothing seems to help (no reboot, no deinstall and reinstall, no cleaning of the ProgramData\Affinity\Photo\1.0). I am on 1.6.4.104 (test). Also get the crash report window and send it.

Using "open with ..." on a jpeg file in the explorer however works fine.

Edited by justus
cleaned the C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Photo\1.0 directory, not the %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\

any reply from Affinity?

btw: after more searching in the forum, I got a hint to check the %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\user\  directory for the macros.propcol (and to delete it). This didn't help. But after I renamed the whole %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\ directory, Affinity starts again without an error and creates a fresh new directory.

A few observations - maybe it helps someone from development:

in the old (crash version) Log.txt the error message is:
WinTab: Failed to load Wintab32.dll
WinTab: Failed to create tablet context

when making a diff between the two directories %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\ and %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 old\

I get only a few differences - in text (unencoded) files, changes are in Export.xml, PhotoshopPluginsPreferences (here I had added Google NIK collection - a potential source?), RecentFiles.xml (guess uncritical), Schemes.xml, Window.xml, Tools.xml, WindowProfile.xml. Does it makes sense to look into it deeper?

On 5/23/2018 at 12:19 AM, justus said:

any reply from Affinity?

btw: after more searching in the forum, I got a hint to check the %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\user\  directory for the macros.propcol (and to delete it). This didn't help. But after I renamed the whole %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\ directory, Affinity starts again without an error and creates a fresh new directory.

A few observations - maybe it helps someone from development:

in the old (crash version) Log.txt the error message is:
WinTab: Failed to load Wintab32.dll
WinTab: Failed to create tablet context

when making a diff between the two directories %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\ and %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 old\

I get only a few differences - in text (unencoded) files, changes are in Export.xml, PhotoshopPluginsPreferences (here I had added Google NIK collection - a potential source?), RecentFiles.xml (guess uncritical), Schemes.xml, Window.xml, Tools.xml, WindowProfile.xml. Does it makes sense to look into it deeper?

Hi @justus, thanks for investigating this. We would be interested in receiving a copy of your %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 old\ folder so that we can investigate here. Do you still have it? It might be Window.xml or WindowProfile.xml that was causing the problem. If you perhaps used your old folder again, but deleted those XML files, one at a time, that might reveal the problem.

Hi, I copied the files over one by one - the crash is caused by Window.xml (WindowProfile.xml did work).

The difference to the default window xml is in the position/size of the affinity window.

default window.xml:

<Display>0</Display>
    <Location>
        <X>163.333333333333</X>
        <Y>163.333333333333</Y>
    </Location>
    <Size>
        <Width>1280</Width>
        <Height>752</Height>
    </Size>
    <State>Normal</State>

my window.xml that crashed affinity:

<Display>1</Display>
    <Location>
        <X>211</X>
        <Y>105</Y>
    </Location>
    <Size>
        <Width>1907</Width>
        <Height>1087</Height>
    </Size>
    <State>Normal</State>

assume that <Display>0</Display> is my first display (laptop) and <Display>1</Display> my second disply (monitor).

the behavior is, that the affinity window opens first for a moment on my second display, then it is automatically moved to the first display, and then the crash window shows up.
my first display has 3840x2160 resolution, my second 2560x1440.

does this help?

Window.xml

On 5/25/2018 at 10:12 PM, justus said:

Hi, I copied the files over one by one - the crash is caused by Window.xml (WindowProfile.xml did work).

The difference to the default window xml is in the position/size of the affinity window.

default window.xml:

<Display>0</Display>
    <Location>
        <X>163.333333333333</X>
        <Y>163.333333333333</Y>
    </Location>
    <Size>
        <Width>1280</Width>
        <Height>752</Height>
    </Size>
    <State>Normal</State>

my window.xml that crashed affinity:

<Display>1</Display>
    <Location>
        <X>211</X>
        <Y>105</Y>
    </Location>
    <Size>
        <Width>1907</Width>
        <Height>1087</Height>
    </Size>
    <State>Normal</State>

assume that <Display>0</Display> is my first display (laptop) and <Display>1</Display> my second disply (monitor).

the behavior is, that the affinity window opens first for a moment on my second display, then it is automatically moved to the first display, and then the crash window shows up.
my first display has 3840x2160 resolution, my second 2560x1440.

does this help?

Window.xml

Yes - that's excellent thank you. With this we should be able to reproduce the problem. Just to make sure - when the crash happens, you still have both monitors plugged in? Do you unplug at any point?

Yes, I did not change anything with the display configuration (monitors still plugged in, no change of resolution, etc.)

I can reproduce the error simply by (1) open affinity, (2) move it to my second screen, (3) close it, (4) open it again and the crash happens
otherwise (1) open affinity, (2) don't move the affinity window, (3) close it, (4) open it again and all fine.

can you reproduce it as well?