You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] Align with key object / aligning nodes

Yay …  :)

After I read Dave's post but before I noticed yours, I whispered "Yay" to myself! :lol:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...

:D Looking forward to it !  

The first beta release of version 1.6 is out now if you'd like to try it. The two versions run separately, so they don't interfere with each other.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello Meb,

So I'm currently trying to convert my whole studio over to the Affinity suite including the Publisher Beta which I have been eagerly waiting for.

It's proving difficult because some staff members are power users of Illustrator. The tasks that we are trying to accomplish is simple; align object B with object A without object A moving.

We understand that everytime you want to do this, you can go to the Alignment button in the toolbar and configure first or last selected but this is very long-winded.

Is there a way to select two objects, click the priority object and quickly align to that priority object?

Many thanks,

Director and Head of Design at Affari , a creative marketing agency.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, TB3) MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3.
Mantiz Venus eGPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11BG, AMD Radeon Pro 575 4GB
www.koriecull.com

@korie.psd you might be very interested in Alignment Handles that are coming in 1.7

They will allow you to align objects in an intuitive way, on canvas, without the use of any dialogue boxes.

They allow for top, middle, bottom alignment of objects or selected nodes, and combine with the already powerful snapping engine.

Simply select what you want to align, and click (to align in place) or drag the relevant alignment handle to the point where you want the alignment to happen! You don't even need to worry about the stacking order of the objects, or the order in which you select them. Instant feedback. Very versatile.

1724217365_AffinityAlignmentHandles.gif.2b54b44c48b590670bb6c59ad5c48ad5.gif

You can try them out in the 1.7 beta which is now available.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

@Aammppaa That's incredible news! Where can I download the Affinity Design 1.7 beta?

Director and Head of Design at Affari , a creative marketing agency.
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, TB3) MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3.
Mantiz Venus eGPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11BG, AMD Radeon Pro 575 4GB
www.koriecull.com

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'd like to add my voice to this topic. To me, i this feature is imperative, and as one who has programming experience, I can't imagine it would be hard to do or take much time to implement. I have Illustrator, CorelDraw, and now AD, and I find myself going to AD more and more often. So far the ability to align to a key object that stays in place is probably the number one feature I would like to see implemented, followed by export to Illustrator (a distant second) and bitmap trace (a far distant third).

Keep up the good work, and please put this feature in the queue.

Thanks!

Edited: Just found out about the alignment handles. That's a definite improvement, but I'd still prefer to do something like select all the items to align, shift-click the key object, and then click the requisit alignment tool on the alignment group of the toolbar. Or even simpler, align to the first or last selected.

Edited by JB_photoguy
New information

• 5 months later...

Just purchased AD and immediately noticed it's missing an efficient alignment tool with simple key object selection. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the tool? 

Currently, to get keyed alignment I: > individually select the objects I want to align > press the alignment tool dropdown > select the alignment axis I want to use > press the 'Align to' dropdown > then select first/last object. I'm sure I'm missing something, but I can't figure it out. Also, it seems I have to do that complete process each and every time I want to align new objects -- actually, even the same objects (the previously chosen 'First Selected' option is reset after each alignment).  

The upcoming Alignment Handles feature seems interesting, but doesn't appear to be very efficient. Given how old this thread is, a useful alignment tool doesn't seem to be a priority. Something like what @JB_photoguy described above would be great -- simple and efficient. Is that not currently possible? If I'm misunderstanding how the tool works, please help me out. Thanks much.

18 hours ago, transposable said:

The upcoming Alignment Handles feature seems interesting,

Alignment handles have been in Affinity since 1.7 (well over a year).

I suggest you try them - you may find they meet your needs.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro