You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

Small question on brushes. In Affinity Designer we have the option to work with vector and raster brushes. We can also import brushes. 

I noticed that when I imported "DAUB | Comics Basic Set.afbrushes" in vector mode ("draw persona"), this set was not available, but is available in the raster mode ("pixel persona"). So, from this I conclude that *.abr or *.afbrushes are vector or raster specific.

Is that a correct conclusion?

Is there a possibility to use the same set of brushes in both vector and raster mode?

Hope my questions are clear.

O

• Staff

Hi orion,

Welcome to the forums.

When importing brushes it doesn't matter which persona you're in, they will import into the correct one depending on the brushes. Raster brushes will only be available in the Pixel persona and Vector in the Draw persona, switching between the two allows you to use them on one publication

Hi, I have the trial version, I tried making the thick/thin brush (the ends are pointed, middle is thicker). It looked fine in the Brush window, but when I drew with the brush tool it came out as the regular 'normal' stroke without the thick/thin ends. Is there a tutorial on this or is it because it doesn't work in the trial version?

This happens probably then when using them in vector mode ("draw persona") and not the raster mode ("pixel persona")?

There aren't so much tutorials about creating and setting up brushes, but here are two which show it for the raster mode ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 11 months later...
On 3/15/2017 at 9:33 AM, orion said:

Hi all,

Small question on brushes. In Affinity Designer we have the option to work with vector and raster brushes. We can also import brushes. 

I noticed that when I imported "DAUB | Comics Basic Set.afbrushes" in vector mode ("draw persona"), this set was not available, but is available in the raster mode ("pixel persona"). So, from this I conclude that *.abr or *.afbrushes are vector or raster specific.

Is that a correct conclusion?

Is there a possibility to use the same set of brushes in both vector and raster mode?

Hope my questions are clear.

O

A while ago I posted above questions. Well, it is clear for me. There are vector and raster brushes available. The vector brushes are available in the draw persona and the raster brushes in the pixel persona. In each persona you can import both type of brushes. Once imported you can only use them in the specific persona.

I saw that some people have trouble with importing brushes. Until now I did not have problems importing Adobe or Affinity brushes.