You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: Vector Brush won't switch to Plain Stroke

Hi,

Designer 1.5.4 on Mac OS X 10.8.5.

I drew a simple pen shape (in Draw Persona), and made the stroke a vector brush (ie, Stroke Style button 'Texture Line Style').

How do I now cancel the vector brush and revert the stroke to a plain line stroke?

I would've thought: Stroke Palette—>Style—>Click 'Solid Line Style'.

But the vector brush stroke stays. 

Same when I click the Dash Line Style.

Same when I adjust the stroke width slider.

However: Clicking 'No Line Style' _does_ work, and removes all stroke.

But when I then click Solid Line Style (or Dash Style), the vector brush stroke comes back.

What am I missing??

thanks in advance,

- pbass 

Hmm, well it opens in AD for me.

At any rate.... you're having the original issue because there's a pressure profile applied on each stroke. (It's just one point added on the straight profile.) Reset the profile and you'll be able to reassign the stroke types.

Why it works this way.... I have no idea.

At any rate.... you're having the original issue because there's a pressure profile applied on each stroke. (It's just one point added on the straight profile.) Reset the profile and you'll be able to reassign the stroke types.

Oh wow – how the heck did you figure that one out?? I would never have looked at pressure in a zillion years.

Yeah, that's absolutely a weird way for it to work – the other stroke type buttons seem to depress; but the vector brush won't let go of its grip...

Thanks for your attention, JimmyJack – one less frustrating mystery for me!

Cheers  – pbass

I think this is a bug, or if not a very weird design decision.

Also, try opening the Pressure profile window & removing the center profile point by selecting it & pressing the delete key. At least for me, this deletes the object instead of the profile point! To delete just the profile point, I first have to click & drag it -- anywhere in the window will do -- & then press the delete key. (It is as if the first time it is selected it is not registering as selected, even though in the UI it is highlighted.) Using the Reset button in the Pressure profile works OK, but the select & delete method should work without the extra drag step, right?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

I think this is a bug, or if not a very weird design decision.

Also, try opening the Pressure profile window & removing the center profile point by selecting it & pressing the delete key. At least for me, this deletes the object instead of the profile point! To delete just the profile point, I first have to click & drag it -- anywhere in the window will do -- & then press the delete key. (It is as if the first time it is selected it is not registering as selected, even though in the UI it is highlighted.) Using the Reset button in the Pressure profile works OK, but the select & delete method should work without the extra drag step, right?

This is a known issue that's already logged to be checked.

This is a known issue that's already logged to be checked.

Yay!  :)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...

Hi folks,

What's the situation with this bug?
It's still present on the last Designer version.

On 3/15/2017 at 4:20 AM, JimmyJack said:

This is BTW just a workaround, which is sadly not complete. As any attempts to set back pressure profile —onto the solid style— will end up with the brush texture applied again.
Note that clicking the "properties…" button on the Stroke panel, keeps displaying Texture related content, even if you are in solid style.

The only workaround I've found to really switch back to solid style is the following:

• Create a filled rectangle that will frame your buggy stroke
  • Move it under the stroke layer
  • Intersect the two layers
  • Switch back the result curve from fill to stroke
  • Open it if needed (cause the curve fill be close by the operation)
  • Set your solid style pressure
  • Voilà! --> but this is quite some time loss.

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

• 3 years later...
On 8/1/2018 at 9:58 AM, Tazintosh said:

This is BTW just a workaround, which is sadly not complete. As any attempts to set back pressure profile —onto the solid style— will end up with the brush texture applied again.
Note that clicking the "properties…" button on the Stroke panel, keeps displaying Texture related content, even if you are in solid style.

The only workaround I've found to really switch back to solid style is the following:

• Create a filled rectangle that will frame your buggy stroke
  • Move it under the stroke layer
  • Intersect the two layers
  • Switch back the result curve from fill to stroke
  • Open it if needed (cause the curve fill be close by the operation)
  • Set your solid style pressure
  • Voilà! --> but this is quite some time loss.

Hi @MEB, what about this one? The workaround to un-assign the vector brush from a stroke to have only solid vector line with pressure applied, which is also expandable in AfD is really weird. Is this issue in scope of Serifs developers please?

The behaviour of some Stroke panel options is weird as well. To be axact – I do not get the relation between line style buttons (solid, dashed, textured) and the pressure setting. When I apply some pressure to the line and change the style to solid, I would expect to turn the pressure off. But now nothing happens, the stroke remains pressure-modified. Similarly with dashed line – the pressure gives priority to the dash settings. Especially in this case maybe it would be great to have both – the dashed line with a pressure aplied too.

The last weirdness i see – when I switch between solid line and texture line with the same stroke width applied, the stroke preview in contextual menu changes. You can see this on my screenshots. I would expect the same thumbnail there.

Snímka obrazovky 2021-09-30 220808.png

Snímka obrazovky 2021-09-30 220825.png

Affinity Suite 2.3.1 | iMac 5K (2017) 24GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.9

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

STILL having this issue in Designer 2. Guess I'll give up hope this will ever be addressed.

EDIT: It only removed the vector brush when I reset pressure. Can we get this fixed please? If I select 'solid' line style it should remove the vector brush regardless of what the pressure is set to.

EDIT 2: Welp, the second I try to reapply stroke pressure it reverts to the vector brush again. Ridiculous.