MikeH99

Incorrect histogram with Fuji X-Trans Raw Files

Hi,

I recently purchased Affinity Photo with high expectations. I use a Fuji X-T1 and mostly shoot Raw.

I have been extremely frustrated in that I am unable to open Fuji Raw files correctly no matter what I try!

My system is 64bit WIn 7 Pro SP1, Xeon CPU 3.33GHZ 8 cores, 16GB Ram, nVidia Quadro 600

My problems are similar to this user:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/31402-fuji-raw-files-issues/?hl=fuji

Opening raw files takes around 25 seconds - compared to 2 seconds in ACR.

The histogram is compressed towards the left edge (shadows) but the picture seems to display ok. 

I have attached a screenshot from AP and ACR. As you can appreciate I use the histogram to guide me in the editing of my raw files and, not being able to do so, renders AP virtually useless.

I have another few questions also:

Will AP have automatic lens correction (for Fuji raw) in a future update?

Will AP implement the Fuji film simulations?

If the above histogram issue, lens corrections and film sims will be resolved in a not-too-distant update, I would be prepared to keep AP. If not, I would seek a refund.

Can you advise if the issues are being addressed and when an update might be available?

Regards,

Mike

post-54374-0-92264100-1489538192_thumb.jpg

post-54374-0-84883500-1489538193_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike

Welcome to the forums

As you can see in the linked post we are aware of the compression happening in the histogram. 

For the automatic Lens correction we current use Lensfun so we need the database to be updated with the relevant lenses before we can provide support. Currently I don't think we have immediate plans plans to implement the film simulations, however this may be something that gets added down the line if we introduce camera profiles

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

I have found a workaround for the compressed histogram. I noticed that the correct histogram is displayed when going to the Photo tab and the correct histogram is retained when I return to the Develop tab. It's inconvenient but it's a workaround! See attached photos.The problem therefore seems to be AP's displaying of the raw data (in the Develop tab) rather than its interpretation of the raw data.

Do you have a response regarding the slow loading times for raw raf files as outlined above?

It takes about 25 secs to load a raw Fuji file to AP and about 10 secs for a cr2 raw file. Both files load from Bridge to ACR in about 2 secs.

As you can imagine, this is very frustrating when dealing with a lot of raw files.

Regards,

Mike

post-54374-0-66846200-1489594926_thumb.jpg

post-54374-0-28120600-1489594927_thumb.jpg

post-54374-0-92228500-1489594927_thumb.jpg

Hello, I have same problems with .NEF files from D750 ... :(

histo is on the left, unsuable, it's a problem to developp and work with affinity photo for me right now ....

I'll try to use it when the problem will be fixed.

Oh and I think the problem is with the RVBA/32 (HDR) - RAW format.

If I have a look to the pictures that Mike hosted, I see that there is no PB with the Develop tool in Adobe RGB 16bits.

My .NEF from D750 are in 14bits something like that in Adobe RGB.

In Photoshop, or LR, I have a camera raw in Profoto RGB 16bits.

not important news for the problem : I setup affinity to use Profoto RGB too (of course).

Ok I got the problem (I mean a little) Once I click on Develop button, I go back to Photo Persona and the file is now showed : RVBA/16 profoto RGB

If i click again to go back to the raw dev button : Develop Persona, I have a good histogram and the picture format is : RVBA/16 - Profoto RGB not anymore in RVBA 32bits.

I think the dev tool must "detect" the good numbers of bits of the picture to avoid this problem ?!

It's a little stupid to do that but I found a fix : open .NEF, then click develop to go to Photo Persona, then click on the button Develop Persona to go back to the RAW develop tool and have a good histogram ;) :) :) :)

Hi Chris,

Just wondering if you have any reply to my query regarding the excessively long loading time for Fuji raf files?

I would like to know if this issue is a priority?

To Rodyh,

The fix you mentioned for the compressed histogram is the same, I think, as that outlined in my post.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike

Sorry for the lack in response

The loading times are due to us not initially loading a lower res preview like some other apps do. The team are working on getting these load times down though, although it is not a small task so it may be gradual improvements over a number of builds. Unfortunately I'm not able to give any timelines on this but they are working on it

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response!

Glad to know the solutions to two of my initial queries (compressed histogram and load times) are being worked and will eventually be resolved. Hopefully the film simulations will get added at some stage.

Regards,

Mike

If you switch from Develop to Photo then back to Develop, you're not working on your RAW data when you switch back to Develop, you're working with the pixel data developed the first time.

It's like opening your file in ACR, saving it as a tif, then opening that tif again in ACR. It's not as big a problem as it sounds, but it's not what you want probably :).

It's also the reason why the histogram displays 'dark' the first time and OK the second time. The first time you're working on RAW pixel data, and the histogram you're seeing (probably, I'm guessing!) has no gamma correction applied to it. It appears to be in linear space. The moment you develop it, it gets gamma corrected so you get a 'normal' picture. Hitting develop again will get you the develop tools, but working on the pixel data from the first develop, so be careful.

@ Serif / Affinity team: There are a lot of (newer) camera's which contain lens corrections in the file, and the 'usage' of this metadata has been mentioned in other topics (so I won't go into it here). But the Lensfun database will probably not contain lens corrections for camera's that do the corrections already.. so waiting on corrections in a lensfun database that will probably never appear (at least not soon) doesn't seem like the right path.

Rawtherapee (it's opensource right? Doesn't mean you can rip the source right out but maybe you can arrange something or you can recreate something based on the idea) has an interesting feature regarding this: it has an auto-correct button which (Behind the scenes) overlays the embedded jpeg preview file on top of the raw data, and then automatically sets the correction parameters to make the RAW data and  the embedded JPEG data to 'line up'.

So it doesn't read (or detect) any 'embedded correction' info, it analyzes the preview jpeg to automatically set settings. This is at least a good 'fall back' to make use of correction in camera's (now or newer ones in the future) without having to know the metadata of each and every RAW format.

@ the OP: ACR doesn't 'support' to Fuji film-profiles do they? I think Fuji is keeping this close to their chest. There are 3rd party film simulations for ACR, and for Affinity you can use the LUT system and the haldclut film-emulation pack floating around (check rawtherapee's site) or maybe use the LUT functions to try make your own? Use the in-camera RAW processing to create a 'before and after' picture, then use the LUT tools to create a lut that transformers the picture 'before' into the 'picture after', then apply it to your RAW conversions.

@jorismak

Apologies for late response! I had not considered your point "If you switch from Develop to Photo then back to Develop, you're not working on your RAW data when you switch back to Develop, you're working with the pixel data developed the first time." It seems logical. The White Balance also changes from 2000 - 25000 K to +/- 100%. BTW, the ACR WB has a range of 2000 - 50000 K. The only difference that I find is that my files do not show any change in gamma when going from Develop to Photo!

It is not very satisfactory if one cannot evaluate an accurate histogram during initial editing - I shoot raw for that very purpose!

Mike

ps Thanks for your tip regarding the HaldCLUT pack.

jorismak

That is exactly true

E.g whitebalance is not possible in the same way

A non destructive develope layer is on the roadmap though

You can develope into 32bit instead of 16bit so that you get the same flexibility with shadow recovery though.

Cheers