You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Digital Speedpainting in AD

kevinmcsherry

Really cool painting!

I don't know if I'm the only one who wants to use Photo for the Digital Paintings and Designer for icons, banners (more web related stuff). :P

Best regards!

Really cool painting!

I don't know if I'm the only one who wants to use Photo for the Digital Paintings and Designer for icons, banners (more web related stuff). :P

Best regards!

From what I noticed, designer has the same capabilities for Digital Painting. Unless I am wrong, but from the videos I seen, the same thing that you can do in Photo, can be done in Designer. And what's even better is the ability to switch between raster and vector. 

True that, it's just that in my personal experience, I've seen Digital Painting done in Photoshop and I link that to Affinity Photo.

It's just me, I know I have to change my mind about that. :p

I found AP a little less versatile than AD, especially when creating vector images. I made this image in vector mode but applied raster textures (painted and scanned). I don't think you can do that in AP (I could be wrong!). So it's a matter of having the option to 'paint' in different ways.

post-30726-0-97946200-1490035181_thumb.jpg

Using: Mac OSX Monterey on a Mac Mini (late 2014). Wacom Bamboo. Mouse. Pencils. Pens. Other stuff...

Kevin McSherry: Creative. Art  :  Illustration  :  Design
The Studio, 17 Aideen Avenue, Terenure, Dublin 6W.  Ireland
+353 (0)86 247 0737   www.mcsherry.ie

160604_35%2Bicon%2Baffinity.jpg

Yeah, the style I want to use does not involve Vectors, just Raster brushes. For example, I want to try what Borodante shows in his channel:

https://m.youtube.com/user/dante88s

Best regards!

Now I am willing to take on that challenge just to show that its not the software, rather how to use the software to your advantage for your creative needs. Shall explore that in this week. (Raster Painting from a still life) 

Going to see if I can push the limit of what can be done in Designer with just the default brushes. Up for the challenge and experiment. 

I found AP a little less versatile than AD, especially when creating vector images. I made this image in vector mode but applied raster textures (painted and scanned). I don't think you can do that in AP (I could be wrong!). So it's a matter of having the option to 'paint' in different ways.

attachicon.gifSligo Poster jpg.jpg

You can the very same way!  :)

Personally I prefer AP a bit more since Vector and Painting tools are in the same persona there.

So it is quicker to switch, also the tool binding is a dramatic speed improvement.

But as you stated it is only a matter of habits.

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

You can the very same way!  :)

Personally I prefer AP a bit more since Vector and Painting tools are in the same persona there.

So it is quicker to switch, also the tool binding is a dramatic speed improvement.

But as you stated it is only a matter of habits.

I agree with your comment on the tool binding and the one persona workflow and I would probably be doing more work in Photo if there was an outline mode. I'm pretty partial to being able to view just the paths when I need to line up stuff or just to see what's going on without a colour preview. 

I'm hoping that once the tool binding is figured out in Designer it will feel a little more seamless... it's pretty sweet currently though, can't really complain.  ;)

Can someone explain 'tool binding' to this chap sitting at the back of the class picking his nose? I'm sorry if I wasn't listening attentively earlier...

Using: Mac OSX Monterey on a Mac Mini (late 2014). Wacom Bamboo. Mouse. Pencils. Pens. Other stuff...

Can someone explain 'tool binding' to this chap sitting at the back of the class picking his nose? I'm sorry if I wasn't listening attentively earlier...

The reason why blenders didn't work... :)

In Photo you can create a brush preset and assign it to a specific tool:

• Paintbrush
  • Pixel
  • Smudge
  • Blur
  • etc...

When this tool has been assigned a small icon appears aside the preset.

When you select the preset AP automatically select the tool too.

This is a very useful feature in an intensive and unobtrusive painting scenario: in separated mode I move all palettes to the second monitor and keep colours and presets only on the canvas opened on the Cintiq.

paintingScenario.png

The keyboard does what is missing.

@paolo 

Do you think there is planning of such feature coming to Affintiy Designer as well, or do I have to switch over to Photo for painting after all? Having a harder time for sure to do paintings in Desginer due of the clunkiness here and there, he. (Why did I put myself to that challenge) 

Great explanation, thanks once again Paolo.

Great wolf too...

@paolo 

Do you think there is planning of such feature coming to Affintiy Designer as well, or do I have to switch over to Photo for painting after all? Having a harder time for sure to do paintings in Desginer due of the clunkiness here and there, he. (Why did I put myself to that challenge) 

Well... I really don't know. You should ask to devs...

Personally I think it should be there too for consistency as you said.

This (theoretically) little thing, together with the "Erase with CMD" to Paintbrush (now it only possible with Pixel Tool) could improve painting experience even more.

Since painting engine "polishing" will start with 1.6 I'm very confident!