You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Notes on In-House Affinity Photo Video Tutorials

Phew. I've just ploughed through the full set of in-house AP video tutorials, done by the most excellent James Ritson. To help me learn and provide a reference, I made personal notes along the way. Here they are, complete with links to each video, in case they may be of help for you. No guarantees and all that.

Update 25 Mar 17: File with notes on change up to 23 March added.

Update 30 Mar 17: File with notes on change up to 29 March added.

170314 Affinity Photo Video Notes.pdf

170325 Affinity Photo Video Notes.pdf

170329 Affinity Photo Video Notes V3.pdf

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

Thanks for sharing your work. This is going to come in handy :)

Skill Level: Beginner, digital photography, digital editing, lighting.

Equipment: Consumer grade. Sony Nex5n, Nikon D5100, (16MP sony sensors)

Paid Software: Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Lightroom4

Free Software: NIK collection, Sony CaptureOne9, Cyberlink PhotoDirector6, Hugin, ImageJ, MS Ice, Davinci Resolve

Computer: Win10 home, CPU Skylake I7-6700, GPU Saphire HD7850 1G, Plextor SSD

• Staff

That's a lot of hard work! I can't imagine much time you must have put into this - very handy for users, thank you. How many times did you fall asleep listening to me drone on?  ;)

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Thanks, folks. Good to hear you like my notes.

I know that writing helps fix things in my brain (part of my learning style), so other notes may follow. I also write for a living these days (http://changingminds.org).

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Updated notes, covering videos uploaded 23 March. See top post in this topic (file: 170325...).

Dave Straker

Thanks for the update.

Skill Level: Beginner, digital photography, digital editing, lighting.

Equipment: Consumer grade. Sony Nex5n, Nikon D5100, (16MP sony sensors)

Paid Software: Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, Lightroom4

Free Software: NIK collection, Sony CaptureOne9, Cyberlink PhotoDirector6, Hugin, ImageJ, MS Ice, Davinci Resolve

Computer: Win10 home, CPU Skylake I7-6700, GPU Saphire HD7850 1G, Plextor SSD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing these notes, dmstraker. They're a great addition to the AP Manual and the videos.

Your notes are also a fine tribute to the James Ritson videos that, in my view, are the best set of tutorial videos for any image-processing program that I've used. For their concision, thoughtful focus, broad topic coverage and low-key tone I rate them higher than even the polished performances of Julianne Kost on Adobe's products.

I guess, since you've apparently watched and paid attention to all of them, you must like them too  :).

Peter

Thank you for sharing these notes, dmstraker. They're a great addition to the AP Manual and the videos.

Your notes are also a fine tribute to the James Ritson videos that, in my view, are the best set of tutorial videos for any image-processing program that I've used. For their concision, thoughtful focus, broad topic coverage and low-key tone I rate them higher than even the polished performances of Julianne Kost on Adobe's products.

I guess, since you've apparently watched and paid attention to all of them, you must like them too  :).

Peter

Yes indeed. A key part of selling a product is in training users, who then like the product more and tell their friends. Skilled users also showcase the product well. James does an excellent job of producing first-rate, clear and concise videos.

Dave Straker