You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to get clarification on my issue that is similar to this thread, as to my understanding. I'm new to Affinity Photo and trying to migrate away from Lightroom 6 on my Mac (using basic functions like importing 300-400 photos and edit them one-by-one making minor changes and then export all of them to a specific folder). I'm not sure how to do this in Affinity Photo other than doing this one at a time. Is this correct? Any suggested video or training links to help my process? Thank you for your time. 

38 minutes ago, RAuten said:

(using basic functions like importing 300-400 photos and edit them one-by-one making minor changes and then export all of them to a specific folder)

Are the minor changes all the same? Are the photos RAW files or TIFFs or PNGs or JPEGs or a mix?

If the files are Raw files then you pretty much have to do the one at a time thing.

If the minor changes are based on exactly the same set of adjustments then you can run a batch job.

If the minor changes are a little bit different every 10 or 40 pictures then you will probably have to do the one at a time thing.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Not all the changes will be the same for each photo - maybe crop, exposure, black/white, highlights, etc. The photos may be RAW or JPEG. I'm just trying to figure out a workflow in managing the mass of photos - I don't  mind making changes as needed one by one but for example didn't want to have to export them all one by one. Thanks for your feedback. 

10 hours ago, RAuten said:

I don't  mind making changes as needed one by one but for example didn't want to have to export them all one by one

Once you make the changes just File > Save them as Affinity documents then you can use File > New Batch Job to export them all, at once, in whatever file format, size, etc you want

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree (in more restrained language) with @doolderboy — it's weird that after 3½ years the feature isn't there and there isn't even an ETA or a reason why not. Surely lots of users, probably most, have cameras that need the same RAW adjustments over and over? Not to mention that all the images from a shoot under fluorescent lighting… and so on.

Could we ask for a 

• Yes, we'll add it [when?] or
  • No, it's not on the cards [why?]

Yeah, that is the principal reason why I am not using Affinity Photo anymore. Unfortunately, no one give any reason why this feature is not added and also the great part of the releases are bug fixes, instead of real features. There is a saturation graph that is still broken since a long time ago. 

I wish it gets better and gets good as Lightroom, then I could use it again.

I took another approach and posed my question to Affinity Support by email directly. Immediately the next day I receive an email informing me "Unfortunately there is no way to do what you are looking for at the moment in Affinity Photo." Upon receiving I asked for an ETA - silence. Apparently, I must keep LR in my tool bag. It would nice to a have formal request process for functionality enhancements from the Affinity user base to Affinity; and transparency from Affinity on future deliverables. 

To be honest, I think they know about this "issue" or lack of feature. I just think they don't care because it will not bring too much value to the software since we have a few people asking for it between thousands that have the Affinity Photo. 

I would be glad to see a message from someone in the Affinity Photo team saying: We are not going to do that. Then this discussion is over and we can move or think in another solution.

1 hour ago, RAuten said:

I took another approach and posed my question to Affinity Support by email directly. Immediately the next day I receive an email informing me "Unfortunately there is no way to do what you are looking for at the moment in Affinity Photo." Upon receiving I asked for an ETA - silence.

Over the last two years or so, the staff have made it clear in several different topics that they will no longer provide ETA's for any new features because too many users were taking estimates as promises about delivery times, & because the inherent uncertainty in software development makes even ballpark estimates difficult, particularly for apps like the Affinity suite that were developed from a new-from-scratch codebase & a single unified native document format.

The bottom line is if there is a feature you need & it is currently missing from the Affinity apps then do not count on it being added anytime soon & instead use something that already provides it. The staff themselves have said as much in a few posts.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...

They don't need to add the feature because it's already covered through open source options.

Try XnView MP.

Use it with Affinity Photo like you would Bridge or Lightroom with Photoshop.

Edited by rckc
spelling

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I bought Affinity Photo a while back to have an alternative to the subscription model of Adobe. I have used the app a few times to retouch black and white photos since my scanner's IR doesn't work with the b&w film and often leaves dust specs.

For an upcoming Leica M purchase, I plan to shoot DNG. But it looks like I will not be able to batch process (apply preset) to multiple files. Am I understanding this thread correctly? Say I go on holiday and take 100+ photos, I don't want to do any fine retouching, just a preset to make the DNG viewable. 

6 minutes ago, bgalakazam said:

For an upcoming Leica M purchase, I plan to shoot DNG. But it looks like I will not be able to batch process (apply preset) to multiple files. Am I understanding this thread correctly? Say I go on holiday and take 100+ photos, I don't want to do any fine retouching, just a preset to make the DNG viewable. 

That is correct. What I do is make a preset for a basic good enough start and then run the same day/location pictures through one at a time tediously clicking on the preset menu to apply it.

This is one of the mysteries of Photo, the presets are saved and they will apply but we can't batch process them.

You can batch process all the photos from the leica with the default setup, check to see if you like the applied curve etc and then set that and choose a file format TIFF, JPEG, PNG or the Affinity file format and have look at the results. Quite quick at that.

1017646013_ScreenShot2021-01-11at2_07_23PM.png.b67519997f03879522d3f8c1f8768f0f.png

So I guess I am saying No and Yes, after a fashion.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

So I guess I am saying No and Yes, after a fashion.

You could also load a RAW image in via File > Open, Develop it without making any changes in the Develop Persona, and then if it needs further changes once it is in the Photo Persona you could make changes there while recording a macro. After saving the macro in the Library, you could then use a batch job to process the other similar images, and apply the macro during the batch processing.

This would not be perfect, of course, but neither would applying a standard Preset be perfect; only close.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1