You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open File Format

hi,

I think it could be great if Affinity products embraced open format too. 

I cannot stress enough the point highlighted below.

http://mjtsai.com/blog/2017/03/13/sketchs-open-file-format/

Can you imagine what kind of new things will now be possible? One word: design automation (okay, two words!).

You want Artboards that showcase a font and its variations, like a Google Fonts page? There’s probably going to be a script to generate that file. There will be websites from which you can download freshly brewed Sketch files based on what you ask — say an image gallery, or a landing page, or a signup form. You’ll be able to pick your brand colors, choose a theme, randomize it, and voila! you have a Sketch design to start playing with. Someone could even build a Sketch equivalent that runs on the browser. The possibilities are many!

It's pretty obvious that the tools which will provide automation will destroy the traditional ones. I already discussed how not having the eBooks version of the Design Workbook was a mistake in another thread today but if AD miss that boat, I will clearly switch to Sketch because nothing can beat automation productivity.

I was just about to post that very same link. Interchange between programs and creation of elements via scripting are HUGE aids to productivity. I encourage Affinity Photo and Designer to begin to support open formats (JSON is certainly a great way to go). You can start small, with export/import of palettes, macros, patterns...but it would be great if an Affinity file itself could be created and modified by scripting tools.

+1 on supporting the Sketch open file format. I've come to rely on it to create workflows between Flinto, Framer, Kite, Principle and Paint Code. Being able to take advantage of AD's symbols and constraints within an existing Sketch based workflow would make life so much easier.

• 3 weeks later...

I mean IF Affinity would open their file format, it would be best to directly find a common way with other apps so maybe just use the sketch format. However this will most likely not be very feasible considering many proprietary "features"

by the way, I just came across this plugin for sketch 

https://github.com/ImageOptim/Sketch-plugin

where ImageOptim is a wonderful app

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/37398-guetzli-a-new-open-source-jpeg-encoder/?p=185567

I think such a plugin implementation in AD/ AP is much more feasible 

it has nothing to do with an open file format, but it has something to do with bringing AD onto the same playground as sketch