Qu4ntumSpin

[AD 1.5.2.58] Copy artboard(s) through files causes a crash and weird stuff

Here is a list of bugs that happens in relation to copy / paste artboards in different files with dummy stock photos see "test-original.png":

1) Artboards are not displayed properly after new file is created see screenshot. Background color is also not maintained.

To reproduce:
- Copy your(s) artboard(s)
- On file menu -> "New from Clipboard"
Screenshot: "Like_this_until_layer_clicked.png"

If you click on the layers, then it goes back to normal, but background color is still gone anyway.

2) Moving artboards in the new file after the action "New from Clipboard" causes AD to crash with the error ""

See screenshot: "Moving_artboard_on_new_file_crash.png"

Which is followed by another error message:
"Cannot start the Crash Reporter
 The Crash reporter cannot find an error report to send, or the error report is invalid".

It also works/fails with the simple "Copy/Paste" into a previously created file.

I can't share the original files I'm working on, but I could easily reproduce by adding a few pictures if you don't have any try https://unsplash.com/for dummy stock photos.

and creating artboards with them.

My (.afdesign)files are nearly 1GB... but I could crash AD already with files from 200MB... 

Hardware:
AMD FX8350
GTX1070
16GB RAM (which from what I see should be enough AD is barely using 1-2GB)
Few SSDs...

post-52743-0-81354400-1489421966_thumb.png

post-52743-0-46157900-1489422085_thumb.png

post-52743-0-97182800-1489422454_thumb.png

Just a small add.
The crash happens every single time you want to move a artboard on the new file. Even after saving that file. Closing everything AD included.

Restart AD, just open that new file with the artboard(s) you copied in it.
Try to move an artboard and it will crash. Files size 34MB.... Something must have been saved that makes AD crash.

Have you tried using their stability beta? Affinity recommends you not only try their beta but that it SHOULD be used as it will be more stable than the prior officially released version. (This makes sense, but it's weird to have the beta installed alongside the official release and to never use the official release)

Have you tried using their stability beta? Affinity recommends you not only try their beta but that it SHOULD be used as it will be more stable than the prior officially released version. (This makes sense, but it's weird to have the beta installed alongside the official release and to never use the official release)

Where can I find it ? What is the "stable" version since there is many versions out there.

All that I found on the forums leads to a message after intall "This beta has expired. We hope you enjoyed using Affinity Designer"

Hi Qu4ntumSpin,

I can reproduce your first issue regarding the artboards not appearing in a new document (and lacking the background), however I can't get the crash.

I've been copying all three artboards, File > New From Clipboard, and then clicking an Artboard in the Layers Panel to force them to appear (as the original issue), however I am then able to freely move the document. Are you able to attach the file shown in your screenshots if that does reproduce the crash when moving an artboard.

Regarding the Beta we currently have a beta running for the Mac version but not for the Windows one. Keeping an eye on the Designer Beta on Windows or Photo Beta on Windows forums will allow you to see when a new beta is out for those versions.

Hi Qu4ntumSpin,

I can reproduce your first issue regarding the artboards not appearing in a new document (and lacking the background), however I can't get the crash.

I've been copying all three artboards, File > New From Clipboard, and then clicking an Artboard in the Layers Panel to force them to appear (as the original issue), however I am then able to freely move the document. Are you able to attach the file shown in your screenshots if that does reproduce the crash when moving an artboard.

Regarding the Beta we currently have a beta running for the Mac version but not for the Windows one. Keeping an eye on the Designer Beta on Windows or Photo Beta on Windows forums will allow you to see when a new beta is out for those versions.

Great that you could partially reproduce.

Concerning the crash, it is an error "0xC0000005 (Which seem to be every error your devs decide not to handle ^_^ ), so it doesn't give much info.

Sadly I can't share you the exact file that leads to a crash... 

However, I made another post including the test of the new beta version that will lead to a same "0xC0000005" crash. 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/37644-unhandled-exception-has-occured-code-0xc0000005/

They might both be linked, because I do use elements from the package I shared above in the "crashing artboards" file I can't share with you.

That package was made by me, all the content was created inside affinity designer except the icon curves which were retrieved from multiple svg files.

Best regards