You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Arrow Brush

ronniemcbride

Hi ronniemcbride,

Thanks for this way of quickly drawing curved arrows, tool that is currently missing in AD.

You are welcome. I glad it is still of use.

• 4 months later...

Hey Ronnie,

I just discovered this neat little trick for quickly making vector arrowheads using AD's pressure control palette. Check it out:attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-01-24 at 11.53.08 AM.png

Can also be used for tails...attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-01-24 at 5.08.52 PM.png

How did you start the Arrow? Im not understanding from the diagram. Looks great. Also, if Affinity Design is seeing this please build this in I need arrows all the time...Because its not clear how to build them I waste a ton of time each time I need them. Thanks

Everyone is aware of these versions of the arrow, but the type arrow feature that people need so badly is the type that automatically added to the end of drawn stroke. This type of arrow head offers the most flexibility. The type of arrows people are so desperately in need of are arrows required for technical drawing.  Imagine this extreme scenario:

d22d026d55a4c9be55e29c95dbe65bfb.jpg

I don't have assets as an option.

How did you start the Arrow? Im not understanding from the diagram.

The arrow just starts out as a regular stroke. After drawing a stroke with the Pen Tool, click on the button to the right of the Stroke swatch on the Context toolbar: this will give you a dropdown panel containing a Pressure button, and clicking that button will display a graph where you can adjust the pressure profile.

I don't have assets as an option.

The Assets panel is hidden by default. Go to the View menu and choose 'Studio > Assets' to display it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Yeah, what Alfred said :)

Just make a path, then go to your Stroke settings and click the blank Pressure profile pop-up menu window thingy...

The arrow just starts out as a regular stroke. After drawing a stroke with the Pen Tool, click on the button to the right of the Stroke swatch on the Context toolbar: this will give you a dropdown panel containing a Pressure button, and clicking that button will display a graph where you can adjust the pressure profile.

The Assets panel is hidden by default. Go to the View menu and choose 'Studio > Assets' to display it.

How did you start the Arrow? Im not understanding from the diagram. Looks great. Also, if Affinity Design is seeing this please build this in I need arrows all the time...Because its not clear how to build them I waste a ton of time each time I need them. Thanks

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just gave up!

I am using the trial copy and nothing seems to work without giving me a headache.

The first brush download (thanks ronniemcbride) didn't load, so tried the Assets option and it is greyed out. 

Going to do this in Illustrator as I can't spend another hour messing about as my gut feeling is that you only get the option working once you have paid for the App. which I am yet unconvinced due to the learning curve. 

Also need to look at how to have the menus not all black as I do a lot of work from midnight to 4am and tired eyes are not happy.

Maybe there is a tutorial or confirmation that it's not available till full purchase out there. Anyhow, hopefully by then the very basic option to draw a line and choose an arrowhead is part of the App.

22 hours ago, shazkol said:

Also need to look at how to have the menus not all black as I do a lot of work from midnight to 4am and tired eyes are not happy.

See the UI dark or light appearance, aka UI style setting under the preferences.

22 hours ago, shazkol said:

Maybe there is a tutorial or confirmation that it's not available till full purchase out there. Anyhow, hopefully by then the very basic option to draw a line and choose an arrowhead is part of the App.

See:

No the Affinity trial versions have/offer the same features as the bought one versions here, just their overall operation is time limited to 10 days or so from the first start up on.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

On 12/25/2018 at 12:59 PM, v_kyr said:

See the UI dark or light appearance, aka UI style setting under the preferences.

I much prefer the setting of the background in this video.

The UI dark or light don't seem to give me this look or maybe I am just not picking the right settings.

Any idea appreciated as I find the black menus are hard to work with.

• 2 years later...