You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Perfect pixel-align bounds

Pixel alignment is not perfect in Affinity Designer, in fact non pixel align situation is VERY EASY to happen.

When shapes align to TEXT object or, a integer position&size shape with a little ROTATION, it's position no longer integer.

I think AD should learn from Fireworks pixel alignment design, no matter cursor position, text/shape geometry, once user start to draw, all  objects' bounds should be treated as integer in pixel alignment mode.

Now we can turn off "snap to object bounding boxes" to make this happen, but it also make AD become useless, I think what we need is  "snap to pixel-align bounding boxes",

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't believe this is a problem in 2017 but it is and no reaction from Affinity about this. I got the exact same problems in UI design.

It's either you get snapping or pixel perfect but not both. This is a huge problem to make Affinity Designer usable. And I am not even talking about the results in the PDF format. You can see gap which do not exists in Affinity appear in the PDF.

I was questionned about it during a meeting, making me look unprofessional...

Actually even with snapping turned off, the "whole pixel" move and alignment do not work correctly.

If an object is at 36.1pt, it will move by 0.5pt and not check if the object was pixel aligned in the first place.

Basically the code supposed to align objects is just doing +-0.5pt when you check the options. Not smart at all.

Pixel alignment is not perfect in Affinity Designer, in fact non pixel align situation is VERY EASY to happen.

When shapes align to TEXT object or, a integer position&size shape with a little ROTATION, it's position no longer integer.

I think AD should learn from Fireworks pixel alignment design, no matter cursor position, text/shape geometry, once user start to draw, all  objects' bounds should be treated as integer in pixel alignment mode.

Now we can turn off "snap to object bounding boxes" to make this happen, but it also make AD become useless, I think what we need is  "snap to pixel-align bounding boxes",

Totally agree !

Art Director at Tribu And Co | French web agency - See our work at http://www.tribu-and-co.fr

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi lalala_
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Scaled images (keeping aspect ratio) and text objects are not aligned to the pixel grid. All other object types should align correctly with proper snapping options selected in particular Force Pixel Alignment. You may also need to disable Move By Whole Pixels if you already have objects in non-integer values, otherwise the decimal parts will be kept when you move/scale them. Let us know if you find issues.