You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Harster13,

To apply a bitmap fill to a line you must first convert it into a shape by vectorizing its outline: click on the "Layer" tab in the top bar and then "Vectorize the outline" in the submenu. You can then apply the bitmap fill and dd or not a contour.

post-37692-0-55217900-1489391678_thumb.png

....I was able to figure out my answer on my own, but you've added an option.

Please share

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks for the feedback Harster13,

Perhaps your solution is to draw your line on top of the object to be cropped and then in the layers to drag the thumbnail of the line in the thumbnail of the image and on the right until you have a rectangle blue vertical? I had forgotten this solution and your answer forced me to look for ... :)

post-37692-0-91718000-1489397352_thumb.png

To apply a bitmap fill to a line you must first convert it into a shape by vectorizing its outline: click on the "Layer" tab in the top bar and then "Vectorize the outline" in the submenu. You can then apply the bitmap fill and dd or not a contour.

I give up. I cannot find any item on the Layer menu (or anywhere else) with a "Vectorize the outline" item.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I give up. I cannot find any item on the Layer menu (or anywhere else) with a "Vectorize the outline" item.

R C-R, I'm sorry, I often have translation problems and I did not have to re-read this enough before posting.

I should have developed the menu on the screenshot I attached, which would have made things easier by showing where to click. I think it should be "Expand the stroke".

There are often postings that I do not really understand and I'm still hungry, and sometimes I respond to the question, I hesitate to intervene and I think I will limit myself more and more!

post-37692-0-90550900-1489486069_thumb.png

reglico, thanks for the clarification. I was just worried that I had missed some feature in AD or I needed to reset/reinstall the app to find it. In English it is indeed "Expand Stroke."

I rarely use it because it too often creates a large number of unnecessary nodes. Instead, for filling a line with a bitmap, I use the (deceptively named) Fill tool. It works for strokes as well as fills -- on the Context toolbar the first item is "Context:" & that gives you the choice of applying a fill type to the stroke and/or to the fill separately. It is easy to overlook the stroke choice because it always defaults to "Fill."

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

R C-R, I suspected that you had not missed a feature and that the problem came from my translation!

You are right, the "Expand the stroke" function really creates too many nodes.
Thanks for the solution with the tool "Filling" which is fast and simple to implement, I had not thought of.
However, if I want to put a border and a bitmap fill to my stroke, I have not found another solution than "Expand the stroke" before applying the fill.
I do not know if I missed something and maybe you have a solution?

post-37692-0-41860200-1489518477_thumb.png

reglico, I do not know of any way currently to simultaneously apply more than one style to a stroke (solid line, dashed line, or bitmap texture), although "Multiple Effects/Fills/Strokes per shape" is on the roadmap for Affinity Designer so hopefully we will have that capability eventually.

Because of the extra node problems with "Expand Stroke" to achieve the effect what I do instead is to duplicate the shape, apply the bitmap stroke style to the upper copy & a solid (or dashed) line stroke style to the lower one, sized & aligned so it is visible behind the bitmap. It is not an ideal workaround if I want to edit the pair of shapes later, but then neither is the expand stroke method, so there is that to consider.

Affinity Photo 

R C-R, thank you for your reply, I had renounced this solution not allowing the subsequent modification of the stroke as you say, without having to erase one of the strokes and make operation "copy-paste" again. I hope that we will soon get "Multiple Effects / Fills / Strokes per shape". Thanks again.

I don't know if it's easier or harder, but another option is to create a brush with your bitmap.

This way the graphic will follow along with the curve shape. And you can have a unique beginning and end.

@ reglico. You can add a stroke to a stroke with the Outline option in the FX section.

Of course you will be confined to the options (pluses and limits) found there.

JimmyJack, thank you for this interesting suggestion (to which I had not thought) that does not add any extra nodes to the stroke, which makes it easier to later modify it if it proves necessary.

Adding the border does not work on the stroke itself, it simply increases its thickness, so make a copy and paste it back then add the border to it.

After a non-destructive boolean operation, by copying and pasting the line at the back and adding a contour to the copy via the FX section, it will be possible to modify the path by moving the nodes identically on both lines. This remains not very practical and limits the use to simple plots.

post-37692-0-87570000-1489601916_thumb.png

JimmyJack, I just found out why I could not do it: I applied the FX function only to the curve instead of applying it to the whole compound. So everything is back in order, thank you again for your help.

post-37692-0-00014000-1489605686_thumb.png