You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inverting a selection of a group

Hello,

I am having trouble with inverting a selection of a group. I have created two simple shapes on a single artboard, grouped them together and by Ctrl-cliking the thumbnail of the group, I've made a pixel selection. Now, I want to invert the selection by pressing the Ctrl + Shift + I. The result is quite puzzling, as illustrated on the two attached images.

I also have another file of a logo, which is more complicated. Here, when attempting to reverse a pixel selection, the selection even disappears completely. I have switched from Photoshop so I am probably used to a different logic of selecting things. Am I doing something wrong?

I am using a trial version of the AD I downloaded earlier today.

Thank you a lot,

Jan

post-54207-0-42168000-1489357229_thumb.jpg

post-54207-0-94126000-1489357229_thumb.jpg

• Staff

Hi Jan,

Would it be possible for you to provide the file shown in your screenshots so I can look into why this might be happening? 

EDIT: This issue is currently logged with our developers to be fixed in a future version :)

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

This is easily reproducible, and the objects don't need to be grouped: they just need to be on an artboard. It doesn't happen with objects which are grouped or nested in a new layer in an ordinary document.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This is easily reproducible, and the objects don't need to be grouped: they just need to be on an artboard. It doesn't happen with objects which are grouped or nested in a new layer in an ordinary document.

I could be missing something but this does not seem to happen on the Mac version (AD 1.5.4).

Also, unless the objects are grouped, on the Mac version it is not possible to create a pixel selection from more than one object unless I CMD click on the artboard itself. With more than one ungrouped object selected in the Layers panel, CMD-click just creates the selection from the topmost selected object.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I could be missing something but this does not seem to happen on the Mac version (AD 1.5.4).

It may be something that only happens on the Windows version. From Callum's edit to his reply, it seems to be a known issue.

Also, unless the objects are grouped, on the Mac version it is not possible to create a pixel selection from more than one object unless I CMD click on the artboard itself. With more than one ungrouped object selected in the Layers panel, CMD-click just creates the selection from the topmost selected object.

On further investigation, I see the behaviour that you describe if I convert an existing layer to an artboard. When I originally reproduced the issue, I created a new artboard by choosing 'File > New' and putting a tick in the 'Create artboard' checkbox in the New Document dialog.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

This issue is already logged. It also happens in Affinity Designer 1.5.4 for Mac

When there's more than one object selected ⌘ (cmd) + click selects the one you have clicked on in the Layers panel (thumbnail), not the topmost one.

This issue is already logged. It also happens in Affinity Designer 1.5.4 for Mac

For whatever reason, I do not seem to have this issue with 1.5.4 running on El Capitan. I created two filled rounded rectangles much like in Jan Roman's first screenshot (on a new document opened with a tick in the 'Create artboard' checkbox). When I CMD click on the artboard name in the Layers panel, I get the same kind of selection as shown in that screenshot, but when I invert it (either from the Select menu or with Shift+CMD+I) I get the expected inverted selection (all of the artboard except the two shapes), not the truncated one shown in the second screenshot.

You are correct about CMD-clicking selecting the item on the Layers panel, not the topmost one. I got confused about that because I experimented with two identical looking shapes.  :wacko:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7