You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer crashing periodically when copying via Layers Menu (Mac)

Hi,

in the last ten minutes AD crashed thrice while pressing CMD+C to copy a layer.

It happens quite often and as I use AD extensively now (four to six hours a day for the last week), it is kinda tiresome, though pressing CMD+S every minute or so is a remnant of using Avid Media Composer. Nothing new.

Anyway, to my specs:

12" MacBook 20016

macOS Sierra 12.3

AD 1.5.4

The AD file is 1.9 MB in size, probably has around 400 to 500 layers (mostly small items like a rectangle or text).

RAM usage is around 448MB for AD, other open apps do not use much more RAM, the 8 GB RAM of my MacBook is 66% free..

Any more information you might need?

in the last ten minutes AD crashed thrice while pressing CMD+C to copy a layer.

Well, it seems when I press CMD+C and then V to activate the move tool, it crashes. It might be a bug, since that is something I do a lot.

Yep, it happens when I the Text tool is activate, the text layer is active, I press CMD+C, then press V and then AD just crumbles.

Will see if it is the other way around too.

I haven't upgraded to Sierra, still in El Capitan, but w. AD 1.5.5, using files of similar size, I have no problems.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• Staff

Hi konsortium12,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I was able to reproduce this in Affinity Designer 1.5.4 but the issue seems fixed in Affinity 1.5.5 (Beta 2). If you want to give it a try you can download the Beta from here. Remember to keep the Mac App Store version installed since its needed to validate/run it. Alternatively you may want to wait for the next Mac App Store update (no eta yet).

Hi konsortium12,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I was able to reproduce this in Affinity Designer 1.5.4 but the issue seems fixed in Affinity 1.5.5 (Beta 2). If you want to give it a try you can download the Beta from here. Remember to keep the Mac App Store version installed since its needed to validate/run it. Alternatively you may want to wait for the next Mac App Store update (no eta yet).

Thanks for the confirmation of me not being that crazy. And good to know, that it got fixed. I can wait for the MAS version.

Have a good week.